Road Cycling · Public discussion

Rim strength vs tire pressure question

Started by Archer · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,161 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 July 2003
Last activity
20 July 2003
Original author
Archer
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,161
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My old Schwinn LeTank has been running for at least the last 20 years on the same set of tires, and
    they have served me well. Now that I've been riding more (over the last two years), they have
    finally reached the end of their useful life. They are Schwinn branded 27 by 1-1/4 tires rated at 85
    psi, which is where I keep them.

    The rims are steel and are in good condition, with only a very few tiny rust spots on the inner
    surface (toward the hub). Am I likely to be safe putting some smaller, higher-pressure tires in the
    100 - 120 psi range on these rims to reduce my rolling resistance, or should I stick to the larger
    80 - 90 psi tires?

    --
    David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
    it's morning".

    Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

  2. "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My old Schwinn LeTank has been running for at least the last 20 years on the same set of tires,
    and they have served me well. Now that I've been riding more (over the last two years), they have
    finally reached the end of their useful life. They are Schwinn branded 27 by 1-1/4 tires rated at
    85 psi, which is where I keep them.

    The rims are steel and are in good condition, with only a very few tiny rust spots on the inner
    surface (toward the hub). Am I likely to be safe putting some smaller, higher-pressure tires in
    the 100 - 120 psi range on these rims to reduce my rolling resistance, or should I stick to the
    larger 80 - 90 psi tires?

    1. Make sure you have "normal" rims, not the Schwinn proprietary rim design that needs special
    tires. Any LBS that used to have "Schwinn" in the name can tell.

    2. In some cases, there can be problems with the tires failing to hold the rim, even if it's a
    "normal" rim. I suffered from this on old steel rims even at 90 psi, and finally just pitched
    them and got new aluminum rims. (They are a lot safer in the rain, as well.)

    3. Can you even get 120 psi tires in a 27 inch size any more? What's available from whom?

  3. Quoted message said:

    The rims are steel and are in good condition, with only a very few tiny rust spots on the inner
    surface (toward the hub). Am I likely to be safe putting some smaller, higher-pressure tires in the
    100 - 120 psi range on these rims to reduce my rolling resistance, or should I stick to the larger
    80 - 90 psi tires?

    Your options are limited. I'd suggest you check out the 622 conversion if that is possible with
    your brakes.

    That is new rims and spokes at a minimum, labor intensive.

    On the other hand complete new wheels could be cheaper.

    If it isn't then look at Conti TT2Ks in 27 inch as an option for new tires. Expensive but they will
    last a while.

    They won't be racing tires but they will be durable.

    Steel rims aren't necessarily a problem except that they are heavy and they suck in wet conditions.
    Many cyclists rode steel rims for many years, they aren't necessarily horrible but if you have the
    option you should choose aluminum.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  4. Eric S. Sande said:

    On the other hand complete new wheels could be cheaper.

    If it isn't then look at Conti TT2Ks in 27 inch as an option for new tires. Expensive but they
    will last a while.

    They won't be racing tires but they will be durable.

    Or IRC Road Winner available in 27 x 1-1/8" or 27 x 1-1/4" for about $13. These are good tires and
    will wear well.

    Art Harris

  5. Quoted message said:

    Or IRC Road Winner available in 27 x 1-1/8" or 27 x 1-1/4" for about $13. These are good tires and
    will wear well.

    They aren't dead yet, But it's coming fast for 27, you'd better buy up all those quality tires fast
    before it all flakes out.

    :-)

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My old Schwinn LeTank has been running for at least the last 20 years on the same set of tires,
    and they have served me well. Now that I've been riding more (over the last two years), they
    have finally reached the end of their useful life. They are Schwinn branded 27 by 1-1/4 tires
    rated at 85 psi, which is where I keep them.

    The rims are steel and are in good condition, with only a very few tiny rust spots on the inner
    surface (toward the hub). Am I likely to be safe putting some smaller, higher-pressure tires in
    the 100 - 120 psi range on these rims to reduce my rolling resistance, or should I stick to the
    larger 80 - 90 psi tires?

    1. Make sure you have "normal" rims, not the Schwinn proprietary rim design that needs special
    tires. Any LBS that used to have "Schwinn" in the name can tell.

    2. In some cases, there can be problems with the tires failing to hold the rim, even if it's a
    "normal" rim. I suffered from this on old steel rims even at 90 psi, and finally just pitched
    them and got new aluminum rims. (They are a lot safer in the rain, as well.)

    3. Can you even get 120 psi tires in a 27 inch size any more? What's available from whom?

    I've found plenty of 27-inch tires at Nashbar and other online catalogs, but they usually don't list
    the pressure. Thanks for the suggestion about the Schwinn dealer; I've got one near me.

    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  7. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I suffered from this on old steel rims even at 90 psi, and finally just pitched them and got new
    aluminum rims. (They are a lot safer in the rain, as well.)

    3. Can you even get 120 psi tires in a 27 inch size any more? What's available from whom?

    I've found plenty of 27-inch tires at Nashbar and other online catalogs, but they usually don't
    list the pressure. Thanks for the suggestion about the Schwinn dealer; I've got one near me.

    There will always be 27" tires available but they will be $5-10$ tires and you get what you pay for.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ramsays-online.comramsays-online.com

  8. Chris Phillipo said:


    There will always be 27" tires available but they will be $5-10$ tires and you get what you
    pay for.

    I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long ago.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

  9. Tom Sherman wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long ago.

    Shopping for the bent again, I see.

    Anyway, while you were checking out the latest in
    3/4 inch hose clamps and zinc coated lag screws with the other guys in cheap t-shirts and John Deere
    baseball caps I was in shops like La Bicicletta and Campione talking Campy Record and with
    Giuseppe and Paul wearing my cotton team Cantina / Tollo cycling cap and my nubuc -high NBS
    vulcanized sole Oakley smoke amphibious breathable architecture sandals!

    Now do you see the huge gulf between benters and elite level roadies like Me?

  10. Fabrizio Mazzoleni said:


    Tom Sherman wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long ago.

    Shopping for the bent again, I see.

    Anyway, while you were checking out the latest in
    3/4 inch hose clamps and zinc coated lag screws with the other guys in cheap t-shirts and John
    Deere baseball caps I was in shops like La Bicicletta and Campione talking Campy Record and with
    Giuseppe and Paul wearing my cotton team Cantina / Tollo cycling cap and my nubuc -high NBS
    vulcanized sole Oakley smoke amphibious breathable architecture sandals!

    Now do you see the huge gulf between benters and elite level roadies like Me?

    Yes, I see the difference. If you came around here dressed like that and started talking trash about
    John Deere, you would get your butt kicked by the locals. 😉

    By the way, us sophisticated 'benters' refer to them as Jubilee clips, not hose clamps. Such
    ignorance.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Home of Deere & Company)

  11. "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I was in shops like La Bicicletta and Campione


    Il Campione Fab, Il Campione. Ya gotta get the details right.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.