Ritz Vs Hall

Lyndon

Guest
The NCAA Cross Country Championships held today came down to this:

MEN'S INDIVIDUAL RESULTS

Place TmPl Name Cl No. School 3k Spli 5k Spli 8k Spli Timemen
===== ==== ===================== == ==== =========================
1 1 Dathan Ritzenhein SO 288 Colorado 8:50 14:46
23:34 29:14.1 2 2 Ryan Hall JR 234 Stanford 8:49
24:45 23:34 29:15.4

Must have been an interesting race to watch. Stanford won the team contest (surprise!).

Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

"Lyndon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The NCAA Cross Country Championships held today came down to this:

> MEN'S INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
>
> Place TmPl Name Cl No. School 3k Spli 5k
Spli
> 8k Spli Timemen
> ===== ==== ===================== == ==== =========================
> 1 1 Dathan Ritzenhein SO 288 Colorado 8:50
14:46
> 23:34 29:14.1 2 2 Ryan Hall JR 234 Stanford 8:49
> 14:45 23:34 29:15.4
>

> Must have been an interesting race to watch. Stanford won the team
contest
> (surprise!).
>
> Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track
Coach
> Brooks Johnson

I read the article about this on cubuffs.com. It mentions that the race temperature was 3 degrees
below zero! Wow! That makes the performances even more impressive. A few weeks ago, I just concluded
my last year of XC in college, and our last meet was arguably the coldest I had ever run a XC meet
in. It was about 20-25 degrees with some wind. I ran a PR at 29:40 (8k).

-Aaron TheYAM.net

"Aaron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I read the article about this on cubuffs.com. It mentions that the race temperature was 3 degrees
> below zero!

C or F?

-3F would be about -19C, a temperature in which I wouldn´t care to run in shorts.

OTOH -3C is about 27F, which appears to have been the max temperature in Waterloo, Iowa on Nov
24th (the min was 13F, about -11C). Not that I´d venture out with anything less than long
tights myself:)

> Wow! That makes the performances even more impressive.

Why? Frozen grass is a remarkably good surface to run on, not at all slippery and definitely faster
than the "average XC surface". The cold temperature may require a more thorough warming up, but
it´doesn´t have to take any toll on the result.

> A few weeks ago, I just concluded my last year of XC in college, and our last meet was arguably
> the coldest I had ever run a XC meet in. It was about 20-25 degrees with some wind. I ran a PR at
> 29:40 (8k).

I´ve been faster than that in about that temperature.

On skis. On a day with a rocket glide.

Anders

Anders Lustig wrote:
> "Aaron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>I read the article about this on cubuffs.com. It mentions that the race temperature was 3 degrees
>>below zero!
>

> C or F?
>
> -3F would be about -19C, a temperature in which I wouldn´t care to run in shorts.
>
> OTOH -3C is about 27F, which appears to have been the max temperature in Waterloo, Iowa on Nov
> 24th (the min was 13F, about -11C). Not that I´d venture out with anything less than long tights
> myself:)

"The actual temperature was 21 degrees, the wind chill 8 above"
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-RUN-NCAA-Cross-Country.html

but I went through the same thought process you did, including looking up the weather ;)

Dot