Ritz Vs Hall

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Lyndon, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Lyndon

Lyndon Guest

The NCAA Cross Country Championships held today came down to this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MEN'S INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Place TmPl Name Cl No. School 3k Spli 5k Spli 8k Spli Timemen
    ===== ==== ===================== == ==== =========================
    1 1 Dathan Ritzenhein SO 288 Colorado 8:50 14:46
    23:34 29:14.1 2 2 Ryan Hall JR 234 Stanford 8:49
    24:45 23:34 29:15.4

Must have been an interesting race to watch. Stanford won the team contest (surprise!).

Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

Tags:

2. Aaron

Aaron Guest

"Lyndon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The NCAA Cross Country Championships held today came down to this:
    >
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
    > MEN'S INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
    >
    > Place TmPl Name Cl No. School 3k Spli 5k
    Spli
    > 8k Spli Timemen
    > ===== ==== ===================== == ==== =========================
    > 1 1 Dathan Ritzenhein SO 288 Colorado 8:50
    14:46
    > 23:34 29:14.1 2 2 Ryan Hall JR 234 Stanford 8:49
    > 14:45 23:34 29:15.4
    >
    >
    > Must have been an interesting race to watch. Stanford won the team
    contest
    > (surprise!).
    >
    > Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track
    Coach
    > Brooks Johnson
    >

I read the article about this on cubuffs.com. It mentions that the race temperature was 3 degrees
    below zero! Wow! That makes the performances even more impressive. A few weeks ago, I just concluded
    my last year of XC in college, and our last meet was arguably the coldest I had ever run a XC meet
    in. It was about 20-25 degrees with some wind. I ran a PR at 29:40 (8k).

-Aaron TheYAM.net

3. "Aaron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

> I read the article about this on cubuffs.com. It mentions that the race temperature was 3 degrees
    > below zero!

C or F?

-3F would be about -19C, a temperature in which I wouldn´t care to run in shorts.

OTOH -3C is about 27F, which appears to have been the max temperature in Waterloo, Iowa on Nov
    24th (the min was 13F, about -11C). Not that I´d venture out with anything less than long
    tights myself:)

> Wow! That makes the performances even more impressive.

Why? Frozen grass is a remarkably good surface to run on, not at all slippery and definitely faster
    than the "average XC surface". The cold temperature may require a more thorough warming up, but
    it´doesn´t have to take any toll on the result.

> A few weeks ago, I just concluded my last year of XC in college, and our last meet was arguably
    > the coldest I had ever run a XC meet in. It was about 20-25 degrees with some wind. I ran a PR at
    > 29:40 (8k).

I´ve been faster than that in about that temperature.

On skis. On a day with a rocket glide.

Anders

4. Dot

Dot Guest

Anders Lustig wrote:
    > "Aaron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >
    >>I read the article about this on cubuffs.com. It mentions that the race temperature was 3 degrees
    >>below zero!
    >
    >
    > C or F?
    >
    > -3F would be about -19C, a temperature in which I wouldn´t care to run in shorts.
    >
    > OTOH -3C is about 27F, which appears to have been the max temperature in Waterloo, Iowa on Nov
    > 24th (the min was 13F, about -11C). Not that I´d venture out with anything less than long tights
    > myself:)

"The actual temperature was 21 degrees, the wind chill 8 above"
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-RUN-NCAA-Cross-Country.html

but I went through the same thought process you did, including looking up the weather ;)

Dot

--
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope