road and track pedals recommendations

old911guy

May 5, 2010
Hello all, I'm a long time cyclist starting velodrome riding for the first time. I've searched the archives and now seeking fresh wisdom from the group. Looking for pedals that work well for the track and the street. (I'd like to get by with one pair of road shoes if I can without changing cleats all of the time). My coach suggests Shimano pedals as they can be tightened appropriately for "track use". I have other track friends who say that unless you are world class, you aren't going to pull out of your pedals unless your cleats are worn out. I currently ride with LOOK on the road, but the coach is really down on LOOK.

old911guy said:
Hello all, I'm a long time cyclist starting velodrome riding for the first time. I've searched the archives and now seeking fresh wisdom from the group. Looking for pedals that work well for the track and the street. (I'd like to get by with one pair of road shoes if I can without changing cleats all of the time). My coach suggests Shimano pedals as they can be tightened appropriately for "track use". I have other track friends who say that unless you are world class, you aren't going to pull out of your pedals unless your cleats are worn out. I currently ride with LOOK on the road, but the coach is really down on LOOK.

Retired EMT? FF? Just guessing based on your forum name.

Alright, it's self serving I know but our company sells a Look compatible track pedal that you can add double toe straps to. Use the straps or not but they will give a lot of extra security. That way, you have the security and you keep only one pair of shoes. I only did a few races on the track using straight Look pedals and with my low speed and lack of power, I had no troubles but if I was really mixing it up on the track (in a "I'm 27 years old again" world), I might want some more security.

Here's the link to the pedals: Q Cycle PR107TK ALLOY TRACK PEDAL

Good guess on my forum name. Actually, I like old Porsche 911's. I have an 86 that is my little baby. I'll check into those pedals. Thank you for the advice.

Q Bill said:
Retired EMT? FF? Just guessing based on your forum name.

Hi back,

We have a original 1961 356 ourselves. Family heirloom otherwise we couldn't afford something like that.

Bill

The kind of pedals used for track really depends on what kind of event you are going to do.

If it's a kilo or a 200m then you're probably better off with the old shimano dogfang cleats and straps. This is primarily so you dont rip the cleats aparts during a hard jump from standstill. The French sprint team, however, used to use a look pedal and cleat, modified with a through bolt so that the rider's shoe could be bolted to the pedal.

If you're going to go for endurance events (pursuits and wheel races) then the requirements aren't as extreme. Many wheelracers just use road pedals with the spring tension wound up a bit. Sometimes they add a strap as extra insurance but it's not needed as long as the cleat is in good condition. Seeing as guys like Boonen and Hushovd can sprint just fine on standard road pedals, I see no reason why riding a track bike would make them unusable.

Your coach sounds like one of those guys who looks down down on Looks becasue they see them as an "easy" pedal, and that somehow that makes them less robust. I beg to differ.

i use Shimano Ultegra standard road pedals on both Road & Track for the same one pair of shoes reason. However i'm a recreational senior rider and not very experienced on the Velodrome.

Q Bill said:
Hi back,

We have a original 1961 356 ourselves. Family heirloom otherwise we couldn't afford something like that.

Bill
I love that it's a family heirloom. Don't ever sell it!

vspa said:
i use Shimano Ultegra standard road pedals on both Road & Track for the same one pair of shoes reason. However i'm a recreational senior rider and not very experienced on the Velodrome.
I think I'll do the same. I have to admit I cringe at the Shimano dominance in this industry, but I went to the track today and watched a lot of guys using the Shimano's. It will probably be a while before I need anything more at the track, and I'll get off on the right foot with the coach.

Old911, I've got Shimano SPD SL's on both my road bikes, Ultegra on one and 105 on the other.

I've used them for several years now and I really like them. I should also say that they are the only clipless pedals I've ever used, so I don't know how they compare to other brands and I don't race.

That probably doesn't help too much....at least not on the racing part.