Road Bike for fat men?

I'd like to thank everybody here who gave advice - I posted a very similar question in another forum here and happened to find this one.

Great information!

I am in the same boat.. started on a Trek 7200FX and moved to a Specialized Roubaix in 9 months after a 20lb drop. I put about 100 miles on a week on the roubaix. Congrads.

dgregory57 said:
I don't know that specific bike, but it looks similar in style to my Giant Sedona, so I think you will be happy with it. I started riding at 365 pounds, and I now have stabilized at about 310.... That is about to change with the new cycling season.

I will be moving to a Cannondale touring bike I have as soon as my gut is out of the way enough to do it... I expect that to be in another 50 pounds.

The Sedona has served me well, as I expect your Marin to do.

Now the trick is to find that balance between taking it easy, and pushing yourself... Do not be concerned if for the first few rides or weeks you aren't able to ride very far... It will improve.

Keep you pedal cadence up to avoid leg problems, and be sure that rest days are part of your routine.

Build up your mileage gradually (I have heard 10% more each week is about the max, but for the first few months, you can probably manage more) and before you know it you will be riding 20 miles without any problems. Within about 18 months of starting, I rode my first metric century (actually a little extra, a total of 68 miles).

By the way, I am 49, so I would encourage you to keep up whatever routine(s) help you to lose and maintain your weight... it doesn't get any easier.

You guys are inspiring.

I started riding about 18 months ago on an orphaned Raleigh Sportif road bike when I weighed 350lbs. When the derailleur kicked the bucket on the Raleigh, I traded sideways to a steel Schwinn and rode that for a good chunk of last summer, including a loop around Candlewood Lake in CT. Now, this spring, (currently weigh in at 300 lbs) I just upgraded to a Specialized Sequoia Elite and am quite happy with the bike so far, breaking it in on a 50 mile ride just this past Sunday. Personally, I would skip getting a hybrid or comfort bike and just scope the tag sales to see if anyone is getting rid of an old 10 speed road bike. The only issue is that you will need to true up the wheels more often. Chances are, if you buy a hybrid, then discover you are doing longer rides, you are going to want to move up to a roadbike/sport tourer anyway.