On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:33:06 -0400, "Gunny Bunny" <[email hidden]> may
have said:Hello,
I have a Bianchi Road Bike with a Gel Velo saddle, I have had it for several
years and thought I would upgrade it to something more contemporary and
higher quality.
The problem I have is there are so many saddles and opinions, I have
absolutely no idea which one to buy !!
Realistically, neither do most of the rest of us.
Quoted message said:I weigh 180 lbs and 6 ft tall. I ride 80 kms on Sundays both flats and
medium sized hills.
Any suggestions of where I should start my search would be appreciated !
While it might seem logical to think that saddles from the same maker
that produced the one you're riding now would be a good jumping-on
point, even that's not a guarantee of a match. Saddle shape and size
is such an individually-peculiar thing that literally the only way to
find a saddle that works well is to jump on and try it. Even then, a
saddle that was perfect with the seat post up high might be a literal
pain in the rear with the post dropped for a different riding style.
Quoted message said:Oh, there are many many bike shops in my area, so I have some access to
various makers 🙂
The ones that are honest and competent will understand the complexity
of this issue, and may be able to let to test-ride a bike that's
equipped with the saddle you're contemplating, but that's not likely
to be the case in all instances. Even the most accommodating lbs will
have a real challenge trying to have a demo available for any
significant fraction of the saddles they sell.
One last thought; if the one you're riding now isn't beat to death,
and is still comfortable, why not just stick with it? If it's not
broke, as they say, don't fix it.
--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.