Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Road Bike Suggestions

Started by gecko61 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,527 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
27 November 2003
Last activity
28 November 2003
Original author
gecko61
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,527
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello all. I'm new to this forum but not new to cycling. I have been a mountain biker for many years and have participated in many MS150 and other century rides. I've decided to switch to a road bike. My problem is I'm just not sure what to get.

    My budget is <$700 and I have no problem buying used. Currently I'm looking at a 2003 Cannondale R600 Triple.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by gecko61
    Hello all. I'm new to this forum but not new to cycling. I have been a mountain biker for many years and have participated in many MS150 and other century rides. I've decided to switch to a road bike. My problem is I'm just not sure what to get.

    My budget is <$700 and I have no problem buying used. Currently I'm looking at a 2003 Cannondale R600 Triple.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    She's a beauty =) Since you are already biking, I bet you could do fine with a double?

    And since you asked, if I found a used Lemond Zurich for <$700 I would be tempted =)

    Often a test ride -> you'll just know it's the one <- makes the sale. Welcome to the asphalt amigo.

  3. A riding buddy of mine has a steel frame LeMond, I think it's a Buenos Aires, very sweet ride. He paid around $1k for it new, should be able to find it for $700 or less used.

    Unless you are facing some serious hills, the triple probably isn't necessary. When I went from MTB to road, I got a triple, only to find I never use the lowest gear.

  4. An '03 Canni R600 is a good bike. Most of Cannondale's lower end bikes have the same frame as their higher end bikes (or last year's high end bikes), and it's just the componentry that is mixed and matched to fit each price point.

    Fantastic frame, decent drivetrain components, the stock crankset and brakeset are somewhat average though IMO.

    Whether or not you trust the unique looking wheels (Gipiemme something-or-other) is up to your weight and riding style, I guess..

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by gecko61
    Hello all. I'm new to this forum but not new to cycling. I have been a mountain biker for many years and have participated in many MS150 and other century rides. I've decided to switch to a road bike. My problem is I'm just not sure what to get.

    My budget is <$700 and I have no problem buying used. Currently I'm looking at a 2003 Cannondale R600 Triple.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Make sure it fits. Don't buy something because it's cheap and then throw money at upgrades.

  6. If you think you'll use the triple, get it now. Only you know the hills you want to climb on that hilly century and what gearing you'll need to be comfortable on the last climb of the day.

    Dan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.