Road hubs and mountain bike question

Jbb

Guest
Many years ago my very first mountain bike came with Miche
road hubs and Mavic rims. The bike has been upgraded and as
it is 531 now has 8 speed xtr hubs. Now I also have an EBC
aluminium frame mountain bike - however the hubs are ****
Quando and they keep working loose. So the question - is it
possible to put a longer axle on "road" hub to fit modern
mountain bike dropouts? If Ican do this I get a nearly free
upgrade... Thanks in advance Julia

"JBB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Many years ago my very first mountain bike came with Miche
> road hubs and Mavic rims. The bike has been upgraded and
> as it is 531 now has 8 speed
xtr
> hubs. Now I also have an EBC aluminium frame mountain bike
> - however the hubs are **** Quando and they keep working
> loose. So the question - is it possible to put a longer
> axle on "road" hub to fit modern mountain bike dropouts?
> If Ican do this I get a nearly free upgrade... Thanks in
> advance Julia

Yes, no problem whatsoever. There are two common threads on
QR hubs - 9mm x 26TPI (Campagnolo) and 9mm x 1mm (Shimano) -
and I think I'm right in stating that Miche have used both.
You therefore need to make sure that you get the right
thread, so that you can reuse the cones (which is a much
better idea than using a different brand - I doubt you'll
get the right Miche ones). Make sure you either redish the
wheel (preferably - put extra spacers in the l/h side of the
hub, so that the dishing is reduced), or that you put equal
spacers in both sides (which *could* leave you with gear
throw adjustment problems).

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.686 /
Virus Database: 447 - Release Date: 14/05/2004