road kill

james

Guest
last night, on the way home, at the top of Greenwich Park there was an
injured grey sqirrel writhing on the road. I ended up slowing and
cycling around it which was what other traffic was doing. Apart from
wondering who was driving in a park at a junction, in such a way as to
run over a sqirrel (I know they tend towards kamikaze nuttiness but
even so) I didin't do anything for which I feel rather guilty. I
think I should have contacted the park wardens/parks police office
(which is just by there) in the hope that they might have the means to
humanely dispatch the unhappy creature.

What would anyone else have done

best wishes
james

james wrote:

> What would anyone else have done

Exactly what you did.

james wrote:

> last night, on the way home, at the top of Greenwich Park there was an
> injured grey sqirrel writhing on the road. I ended up slowing and
> cycling around [...] What would anyone else have done

Prolly stopped and killed it, being the kindest thing to do. Plus it might
have been one of the Evil Squirrels from the Nut Mines.

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Plus it might have been one of the Evil Squirrels from the Nut Mines.

Bury the body or burn it? Or hang it high as a lesson to others?

> last night, on the way home, at the top of Greenwich Park there was an
> injured grey sqirrel writhing on the road.

> What would anyone else have done

Killed it.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:25:25 GMT, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> james wrote:
>>
>> > What would anyone else have done

>> Exactly what you did.

> Grey squirrels are vermin.

Odd term. Vermin describes animals that are destructive to crops, game
birds and domestic animals, ie animals that farmers and gamekeepers don't
like. Not sure the grey squirrel qualifies.

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Odd term. Vermin describes animals that are destructive to crops, game
> birds and domestic animals, ie animals that farmers and gamekeepers
> don't like. Not sure the grey squirrel qualifies.

KILL 'EM ALL!

Just to be on the safe side.

On 11 Jun 2004 10:39:52 GMT, Mark Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> last night, on the way home, at the top of Greenwich Park there was an
>> injured grey sqirrel writhing on the road.

>> What would anyone else have done

> Killed it.

Last week a meadow pipit flew into our conservatory through an open door
and attempted to fly out through a closed window. While it was a bit dazed
it tried to fly out again, missing the door once again. It fell on its
back and went into spasm. 20 minutes later after being put on an outside
table it had recovered sufficiently to fly off to cover and within the
hour it was feeding in the garden again.

The last time I came off my bike I writhed around for a bit, luckily
someone checked if I was likely to recover before deciding not to stamp on
my head.

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> The last time I came off my bike I writhed around for a bit, luckily
> someone checked if I was likely to recover before deciding not to
> stamp on my head.

Is this standard practice for paramedics these days? Trample the patient to
death if unlikely to recover?

I'll have to be more careful out there.

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Odd term. Vermin describes animals that are destructive to crops, game
> birds and domestic animals, ie animals that farmers and gamekeepers
> don't like. Not sure the grey squirrel qualifies.

A pal of mine is a Parkie, and she regularly distresses the more
sensitive kids on school visits by describing grey squirrels along the
lines of "rat with good PR".

While visiting another pal who was working as a ranger in the Grand
Canyon, we were taking a stroll along the rim and came across a couple
of touroids feeding the squirrels next to a "please do not feed the
squirrels" sign. Dave (not in uniform) asked them to desist, they said
something about them being so cute and carried on. Dave tries #2
gambit: "Do you know that the squirrels in this park carry bubonic
plague?" (they do, fact fans!). That seemed to have more effect, Exit
touroids stage left.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

james wrote:

> last night, on the way home, at the top of Greenwich Park there was an
> injured grey sqirrel writhing on the road. I ended up slowing and
> cycling around it which was what other traffic was doing.

> What would anyone else have done

Probably the same, and then would have hoped someone would have
flattenned it.

I have a long-lasing memory of finding a rabbit with mixamatosis (sp) by
the road when I was cycling on my first round Britain ride as a young
lad. While I was looking at it a motorist pulled up and said it should
be killed.
He placed it under his rear wheel, and the memory I still have - and
still shiver at - is the sound of crunching bones as he reversed.

John B

Peter Clinch wrote:

> A pal of mine is a Parkie, and she regularly distresses the more
> sensitive kids on school visits by describing grey squirrels along the
> lines of "rat with good PR".

Grey squirrels have been known as "tree rats" by Larringtons since Time
Immemorial.

"And maybe we'll do In a squirrel or two, while we're poisoning pigeons in
the park." - Tom Lehrer

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Prolly stopped and killed it, being the kindest thing to do. Plus it
> might have been one of the Evil Squirrels from the Nut Mines.

Yay! Oddly enough, the Chief Evil SCIENCE Squirrel was here yesterday, so
if James' injured squirrel was a touch on the portly side, swearing in
'melican and answering to the name of "Craig Lathrop"...

It appears that I am not to be made redundant after all, but rather to
receive a New Job with More Money and all the Womp Rats I can eat. AND I
get to trouser the fat bribe they gave me to stay an extra three months.
Yay!

<ob_bicycle>
That NoCom is starting to look like a good thing on which to waste^h^h^h^h^h
spend a Lot of Money
</ob_bicycle>

This does not alter the fakts, however. Squirrels are EVIL, kids. Just say
no.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Simonb wrote:

> Is this standard practice for paramedics these days? Trample the
> patient to death if unlikely to recover?

I believe so. The evidence garnered from watching "Casualty" suggests that
it is directed by Quentin Tarantino ;-)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:

> It appears that I am not to be made redundant after all, but rather to
> receive a New Job with More Money and all the Womp Rats I can eat.

That sounds like the result of some singluarly productive Dialog to me...

--
Guy
===

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> The last time I came off my bike I writhed around for a bit, luckily
> someone checked if I was likely to recover before deciding not to
> stamp on my head.

Yebbut, if it had been Fat Eric or the Swamp Monster then stamping on the
head would have been the Right Thing, just as with a tree rat.

--
Guy
===
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:40:29 +0100, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:25:25 GMT, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Exactly what you did.

>> Grey squirrels are vermin.

> Odd term. Vermin describes animals that are destructive to crops, game
> birds and domestic animals, ie animals that farmers and gamekeepers
> don't like. Not sure the grey squirrel qualifies.
>
> Colin

Squirrels ate my figs, my walnuts, my sweetcorn - I hate them.

--

J u l i a n

__o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> james wrote:
>>
>> last night, on the way home, at the top of Greenwich Park there was
>> an injured grey sqirrel writhing on the road. I ended up slowing and
>> cycling around it which was what other traffic was doing.

>> What would anyone else have done

Stamped on its head, but not enjoyed doing it. Grey squirrels are an
introduced species (from America) and they are doing a very succesful
job of ousting our native red squirrels as they are bigger and more
agressive. I share some of the other posters' sentiments, the only good
grey squirrel is a dead grey squirrel (when it's in the UK at least).

> I have a long-lasing memory of finding a rabbit with mixamatosis (sp)
> by the road when I was cycling on my first round Britain ride as a
> young lad. While I was looking at it a motorist pulled up and said it
> should be killed.
> He placed it under his rear wheel, and the memory I still have - and
> still shiver at - is the sound of crunching bones as he reversed.

I came across one in the Pentlands a few years back and was about to
stamp on it when my wife stopped me. It was only a defenceless rabbit
after all! Despite pointing out that it was suffering and it was liekly
to spread the disease to other rabbits causing them to suffer, she stood
her ground, or rather walked of in disgust at my idea and made it clear
I'd be in the bad books for months if I did it.

Rabbits are also a non-native species (introduced by the Normans, or was
it the Romans?) so, in my books, are prime candidates for eradication.
For one thing, it has been said that if it weren't for the large areas
of short grass and numerous holes they left around the Scottish
countryside, then the game of golf would never have been invented. So
they are indirectly responsible for Pringle jumpers, boring televised
competitions and Jimmy Tarbuck et al. Those are grounds for
extermination if ever there were!

Graeme

In article <[email protected]>,
JohnB <[email protected]> writes:

> He placed it under his rear wheel, and the memory I still have - and
> still shiver at - is the sound of crunching bones as he reversed.

Nasty. Very nasty.

But compared to germ warfare like mixamatosis, not so nasty at all.
Which reminds me: why has all the meeja gone so quiet on the 'merkins
exempting themselves from the international treaties regarding
inspection of their bio-warfare labs? Looks like the war of terror
has successfully diverted attention from the real stories.

As for animals (alive) on the road, the last I recollect was a fox
which seem dazed but wasn't - as far as I could tell - any worse than
that. So I just moved it off the road for the best chance to recover,
or for nature to take its course.

--
Nick Kew