Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Road rager v. cyclist on camera

Started by Strayhorn · · Last activity · 56 posts · 2,236 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
30 January 2006
Last activity
10 March 2006
Original author
Strayhorn
Posts
56
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,236
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 56
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A sad tale:

    http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=491

    Summary: Driver throws litter out window. Cyclist throws it back in.
    Fight ensues which is caught on camera.

    --
    Strayhorn

    ³Excuse me, brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" - F.Z.

  2. Strayhorn said:

    A sad tale:

    http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=491

    Summary: Driver throws litter out window. Cyclist throws it back in.
    Fight ensues which is caught on camera.

    --
    Strayhorn

    ³Excuse me, brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" - F.Z.

    On 3 different occasions I have thrown litter back into someone's car.
    Only once was I on my bike, the other times I was a pedestrian. I am
    6'3" 220 pounds so most confrontations are just a matter of yelling and
    puffy posturing. The guy who got a half filled McDonalds milkshake
    tossed through his window was not a happy camper.

    Joseph

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Strayhorn said:

    A sad tale:

    http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=491

    Summary: Driver throws litter out window. Cyclist throws it back in.
    Fight ensues which is caught on camera.

    --
    Strayhorn

    ³Excuse me, brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" - F.Z.

    On 3 different occasions I have thrown litter back into someone's car.
    Only once was I on my bike, the other times I was a pedestrian. I am
    6'3" 220 pounds so most confrontations are just a matter of yelling and
    puffy posturing. The guy who got a half filled McDonalds milkshake
    tossed through his window was not a happy camper.

    This echoes an episode between a litterer and myself - though in this
    case the milkshake was from Burger King. A pair of youths DWE (driving
    while eating), were disposing of their meal's packaging as they
    polished off their fare. Hamburger wraps, French fry containers,
    cutlery, I saw it all go out window by turns as we leap frogged each
    other through congested city traffic.

    After retrieving the half-full milkshake the fellow in the passenger
    seat had ejected, I caught the offenders as they waited at a stoplight,
    and tossed it into the lap of its rightful owner. His lap turned a
    sloppy shade of chocolate as he turned the air blue with his
    imprecations. Coward that I am, I avoided a confrontation by a quick
    U-turn and a retreat down an alley.

    Luke

    Luke

  4. "Luke" wrote: (clip) Coward that I am, I avoided a confrontation by a quick
    U-turn and a retreat down an alley.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I wouldn't call you a coward. You are someone who knows when and how to end
    a conversation. If we always had to endure the endless rantings of those
    whom we "correct," it would have a chilling effect on our do-gooderness.

  5. Yeah, moving on is the way to handle it. Many years ago, I had an RTD
    driver nearly kill me as he blatently ran a light in Downtown Denver. I
    turned right to follow him to his next stop. I parked my bike on the
    curb, got on the bus, pulled the keys out, exited, and threw the keys
    into some nearby shrubs. Then I got on my bike and went the other way
    down the sidewalk.

    -Mike

    Leo Lichtman said:

    "Luke" wrote: (clip) Coward that I am, I avoided a confrontation by a quick
    U-turn and a retreat down an alley.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I wouldn't call you a coward. You are someone who knows when and how to end
    a conversation. If we always had to endure the endless rantings of those
    whom we "correct," it would have a chilling effect on our do-gooderness.

  6. Quoted message said:
    Strayhorn said:

    A sad tale:

    http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=491

    Summary: Driver throws litter out window. Cyclist throws it back in.
    Fight ensues which is caught on camera.

    --
    Strayhorn

    ³Excuse me, brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" - F.Z.

    On 3 different occasions I have thrown litter back into someone's car.
    Only once was I on my bike, the other times I was a pedestrian. I am
    6'3" 220 pounds so most confrontations are just a matter of yelling and
    puffy posturing. The guy who got a half filled McDonalds milkshake
    tossed through his window was not a happy camper.

    Joseph

    Seems like everyone's first response is to escalate the situation.

    I've found that you can make a much greater impact AND not run the risk
    of getting a beat-down if you just hand the trash back to the litterer
    and say, "excuse me, I think you dropped this".


  7. Quoted message said:

    "Luke" wrote: (clip) Coward that I am, I avoided a confrontation by a quick
    U-turn and a retreat down an alley.

    Quoted message said:

    Leo wrote:
    I wouldn't call you a coward. You are someone who knows when and how
    to end a conversation. If we always had to endure the endless
    rantings of those whom we "correct," it would have a chilling effect
    on our do-gooderness.

    I can easily see this type of confrontation resulting in a cyclist who
    quickly reached the ambient temperature because he was no longer living.

  8. Scott said:
    Quoted message said:
    Strayhorn said:

    A sad tale:

    http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=491

    Summary: Driver throws litter out window. Cyclist throws it back in.
    Fight ensues which is caught on camera.

    --
    Strayhorn

    ³Excuse me, brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" - F.Z.

    On 3 different occasions I have thrown litter back into someone's car.
    Only once was I on my bike, the other times I was a pedestrian. I am
    6'3" 220 pounds so most confrontations are just a matter of yelling and
    puffy posturing. The guy who got a half filled McDonalds milkshake
    tossed through his window was not a happy camper.

    Joseph

    Seems like everyone's first response is to escalate the situation.

    I've found that you can make a much greater impact AND not run the risk
    of getting a beat-down if you just hand the trash back to the litterer
    and say, "excuse me, I think you dropped this".

    I have done the polite version more times than I can remember! The
    times I threw the garbage back was when it was someone I could tell
    would have slapped the garbage out of my hand into my face or otherwise
    tried to get tough if I didn't take an aggressive line. And after I
    did, I just walked away, maybe letting out a "waddayagonnadoabadit?"

    I don't like it when people litter, and just because someone looks
    tough doesn't mean they get a pass from me on hearing about it.

    Joseph

  9. This story has made the newspapers:

    "Many wade into bike-car brawl online"

    -----------------------------------------------------
    More than 100,000 hits on website documenting fight `Psycho motorists
    strike again,' one angry posting proclaims
    Jan. 31, 2006. 06:08 AM

    BETSY POWELL
    CRIME REPORTER

    A series of dramatic photographs capturing a quintessential urban
    confrontation — a daytime brawl between a bike courier and a motorist
    in downtown Toronto — has sparked a raging debate in cyberspace.

    The vigorous, sometimes vitriolic venting weighs in on a host of
    topics from pedestrian versus motorist rights and conjecture about the
    nationalities and sexual preferences of the combatants, to littering
    and whether the photographer should have put down his camera and
    stepped in to stop the violence.

    The incident apparently began after a man tossed food onto the street
    in Kensington Market and escalated when the cyclist threw the food
    back into his car.

    "Psycho motorists strike again!" said one posting on the website
    Citynoise.org, where photographer Adam Krawesky posted the images last
    Thursday.

    Visitor traffic has since gone through the roof with more than 100,000
    hits being logged by yesterday afternoon. The images are also
    circulating widely on the Internet and appear on dozens of websites as
    far away as The Netherlands, some in foreign languages, with links
    provided to Citynoise.

    But many postings also sided with the unidentified man.

    "The [censored] chucked food in his car. Yeah, he's a moron for littering,
    but she made it personal ... it's nice she's so passionate about the
    environment that she seeks personal confrontation by shoving food back
    into people's laps, but honestly, what did she expect?" reads one.

    Krawesky said while the incident highlights the "gulf between cyclists
    and motorists, typically male motorists," the subsequent online
    discussion mirrors another aspect of human interaction.

    "It's interesting how the Internet reflects in one way when you're in
    a car — in the same way the anonymity of the Internet and posting all
    sorts of threatening, awful things that you would never do if you were
    actually face to face," says the 28-year-old who works as an editor at
    Citynoise.org.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Read it at
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1138661412479&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home
    or http://tinyurl.com/d3y46

    J. Spaceman

  10. Seems like everyone's first response is to escalate the situation.

    Escalation seems to be the norm in urban jungles. I once was in a road rage
    duel while I was driving my car with another car. Speeds approached 80 mph,
    honking and flashing lights, through city streets, before I finally called
    it off when the other car made a high speed turn and almost lost it. But
    the point was made.

  11. Mike Reed said:

    Yeah, moving on is the way to handle it. Many years ago, I had an RTD
    driver nearly kill me as he blatently ran a light in Downtown Denver. I
    turned right to follow him to his next stop. I parked my bike on the
    curb, got on the bus, pulled the keys out, exited, and threw the keys
    into some nearby shrubs. Then I got on my bike and went the other way
    down the sidewalk.

    I must say, I like it.

    But, I think that's some sort of federal
    offense now, stepping onto a bus to
    confront the driver. I once served a
    half eaten burrito through the driver's
    window of an RTD. He deserved it,
    believe me.

    BTW, the proper way to address
    issues with RTD drivers is to get the
    number of the bus, take note of the
    exact time and location of the incident
    and report it to RTD. They have been
    very responsive to cyclist complaints.

    Also, people should note that the
    messenger in question in this photo
    series is a woman. Both escalated
    the confrontation but then the dude
    gets out and apparently starts inflicting
    physical violence on this female, and
    on her bicycle, at which point passers-
    by come to her aid.

    Don't hit girls.

    Robert

  12. Callistus Valerius said:

    Seems like everyone's first response is to escalate the situation.

    Escalation seems to be the norm in urban jungles. I once was in a road
    rage duel while I was driving my car with another car. Speeds approached
    80 mph, honking and flashing lights, through city streets, before I
    finally called it off when the other car made a high speed turn and almost
    lost it. But the point was made.

    What point?

    I don't think "urban" has much to do with it either. In my
    experience, city dwellers know better how to get along with each other,
    because it's a requirement of everyday life. Of course with more people
    around the chances of running into a miscreant may be higher.

    Some of us manage to go through our whole lives without conflict, while
    others have a story of some scuffle they've been in nearly every week.
    Gee, I wonder what the difference is.

    You're right, the problem is some of us choose to act out like big
    babies rather than keep our cool and move on.

    Matt O.

  13. I'm inferring a lot from a bunch of photos, but I'd guess one or both
    of the following might have been at work in this guy's head:

    First, for some men--maybe a lot of men--there's a lot of aggression
    against women that's kept in check by society's notion that men should
    protect women. But when women behave "out of bounds", as he might have
    perceived the courier as doing, the checks fall away, and the rage
    comes out. He was really out of control.

    Also, many people, myself included, get angry when someone acts toward
    them with a sense of smug moral superiority, even when the point
    they're making is a good one. I was once walking my dog in Santa
    Monica--PC capital of the western world--when a young woman came up to
    me and smugly insisted that I pick up my dog's droppings, so as not to
    mess up "her" city. I got really angry at her posturing, and rather
    than show her the plastic bag I had in my pocket for just that purpose,
    I told her what I thought of her, and people like her. I remember
    using the word "[censored]" among others. She was taken aback; perhaps
    like the courier, because she was in the right, she felt she could do
    just about anything to express her rightness.

    Not in my book. Tossing food through somebody's window is an uncool
    thing to do, whether the litterer goes over the edge or not.

  14. bernmart said:

    Tossing food through somebody's window is an uncool
    thing to do, whether the litterer goes over the edge or not.

    I think whether it's "uncool" depends almost entirely on the direction
    of the toss. Tossing it out? Uncool, or worse. Tossing it back in?
    I think it's an elegant reaction, exactly what's deserved.

    I understand the risk. But I dislike the fact that many people feel no
    yahoo should ever get negative consequences for boorish behavior. Let
    the boors wipe the coffee and McSauce off their leather upholstery.
    It's appropriate.

    Requisite disclaimer: I've done the return toss myself, once.

    - Frank Krygowski

  15. frkrygow said:


    bernmart said:

    Tossing food through somebody's window is an uncool
    thing to do, whether the litterer goes over the edge or not.

    I think whether it's "uncool" depends almost entirely on the direction of
    the toss. Tossing it out? Uncool, or worse. Tossing it back in? I think
    it's an elegant reaction, exactly what's deserved.

    I understand the risk. But I dislike the fact that many people feel no
    yahoo should ever get negative consequences for boorish behavior. Let the
    boors wipe the coffee and McSauce off their leather upholstery. It's
    appropriate.

    Requisite disclaimer: I've done the return toss myself, once.

    I saw a fistfight erupt over a tossed cigarette, between two people who
    should definitely know better. The [censored], someone I actually know, is a
    high end corporate health insurance rep. The [censored]-back, owner of a
    multi-million dollar home, who happened to be out getting his morning
    paper when the cigarette was tossed. What's with these people?

    Matt O.

  16. Matt O'Toole said:

    You're right, the problem is some of us choose to act out like big
    babies rather than keep our cool and move on.

    Some of us thinks it's lame to keep cool all the time -- it's
    admirable to not put up with gross littering and stuff like that.
    I've done the same with paper trash that litterers through out of cars
    and tried to get a motorist to pick up some food wrappers a few weeks
    ago. It would be good if there a larger societal consensus on what
    sorts of things are unacceptable -- like gross littering -- so that
    people wouldn't do it.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  17. On 31 Jan 2006 10:01:52 -0800, "bernmart" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I was once walking my dog in Santa
    Monica--PC capital of the western world--when a young woman came up to
    me and smugly insisted that I pick up my dog's droppings, so as not to
    mess up "her" city. I got really angry at her posturing, and rather
    than show her the plastic bag I had in my pocket for just that purpose,
    I told her what I thought of her, and people like her. I remember
    using the word "[censored]" among others. She was taken aback; perhaps
    like the courier, because she was in the right,

    She wasn't in the right -- she would have been if she'd seen you walk
    away, but she jumped the gun.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  18. Quoted message said:


    bernmart said:

    Tossing food through somebody's window is an uncool
    thing to do, whether the litterer goes over the edge or not.

    I think whether it's "uncool" depends almost entirely on the direction
    of the toss. Tossing it out? Uncool, or worse. Tossing it back in?
    I think it's an elegant reaction, exactly what's deserved.

    Wow, I agree with Frank....

    Quoted message said:


    I understand the risk.

    Yeah, I only do stuff like that when there are a lot of people around
    who might help if things get out of hand. And even then, if the
    offender has a gun it would be little solace to me. But the risk is,
    occassionally worth it.

    Quoted message said:

    Requisite disclaimer: I've done the return toss myself, once.

    Yes!

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  19. Quoted message said:
    Callistus Valerius said:

    Seems like everyone's first response is to escalate the situation.

    Escalation seems to be the norm in urban jungles. I once was in a road
    rage duel while I was driving my car with another car. Speeds


    approached

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    80 mph, honking and flashing lights, through city streets, before I
    finally called it off when the other car made a high speed turn and


    almost

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lost it. But the point was made.

    What point?


    ------------
    That he fu*ked with the wrong dude.
    ------------

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think "urban" has much to do with it either. In my
    experience, city dwellers know better how to get along with each other,
    because it's a requirement of everyday life. Of course with more people
    around the chances of running into a miscreant may be higher.

    Some of us manage to go through our whole lives without conflict, while
    others have a story of some scuffle they've been in nearly every week.
    Gee, I wonder what the difference is.


    -------------
    I haven't been in a road rage duel since, although one guy did provoke
    me since the one I described, but he looked like some old bald headed drunk,
    driving an antique car, and I didn't want to give him the excitement he was
    obviously craving for. That's what I figured out with some age, some people
    need this type of anti-social interaction, to feel alive. So why give it to
    them.
    --------------

    Quoted message said:


    You're right, the problem is some of us choose to act out like big
    babies rather than keep our cool and move on.

    Matt O.

  20. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I was once walking my dog in Santa
    Monica--PC capital of the western world--when a young woman came up to
    me and smugly insisted that I pick up my dog's droppings, so as not to
    mess up "her" city. I got really angry at her posturing, and rather
    than show her the plastic bag I had in my pocket for just that purpose,
    I told her what I thought of her, and people like her. I remember
    using the word "[censored]" among others. She was taken aback; perhaps
    like the courier, because she was in the right,

    She wasn't in the right -- she would have been if she'd seen you walk
    away, but she jumped the gun.

    JT

    I don't agree with the courier, or the [censored] policman you ran into. If
    they care about it so much, why don't they dispose of it themselves, as many
    do. I think that would make a bigger impact on the offenders. This whole
    discussion seems out of place here, when you see on some of the most popular
    bike roads, littered with empty and full gu gel remains. I admit, I toss
    them too.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.