Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Road rules vs. laws of physics

Started by sinus · · Last activity · 17 posts · 1,541 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
24 January 2006
Last activity
25 January 2006
Original author
sinus
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,541
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In today's Age motoring section there is a response to FD's letter last week. Hilarious, unless the writer was serious. sadly, he probably was.

    I can't find a URL and do not have the paper with me but the gist was....

    Pedestrians should learn to look both ways, etc. etc.
    Everyone makes mistakes and is inattentive, pedestrians as well. In fact the writer steps on dog ... and walks into poles sometimes. This explains why motorists might not see pedestrians.
    The laws of physics mean that a 1600kg vehicle has right of way.

    I choked on my breakfast cereal as I was reading, but did not bring the paper in. Anyone else have access or know the URL?

  2. sinus said:

    In today's Age motoring section there is a response to FD's letter last week. Hilarious, unless the writer was serious. sadly, he probably was.

    I can't find a URL and do not have the paper with me but the gist was....

    Pedestrians should learn to look both ways, etc. etc.
    Everyone makes mistakes and is inattentive, pedestrians as well. In fact the writer steps on dog ... and walks into poles sometimes. This explains why motorists might not see pedestrians.
    The laws of physics mean that a 1600kg vehicle has right of way.

    I choked on my breakfast cereal as I was reading, but did not bring the paper in. Anyone else have access or know the URL?

    http://www.theage.com.au/letters/

    Doesn't seem to have made it to the online edition.

  3. EuanB said:

    theage.com.auletters

    Doesn't seem to have made it to the online edition.


    I think the motoring section ones are separate.

  4. sinus said:

    I think the motoring section ones are separate.


    Motoring section of The Age doesn't carry the letters to my knowledge.

  5. Yeeerrrsss.
    Saw it and happily sent off a reply 😄

    Thanked him for giving such a clear example of the point i was trying to make. IE some drivers live in a parallel universe where 'right of way' is governed by physics, not law.

  6. sinus said:

    In today's Age motoring section there is a response to FD's letter last week. Hilarious, unless the writer was serious. sadly, he probably was.

    I can't find a URL and do not have the paper with me but the gist was....

    Pedestrians should learn to look both ways, etc. etc.
    Everyone makes mistakes and is inattentive, pedestrians as well. In fact the writer steps on dog ... and walks into poles sometimes. This explains why motorists might not see pedestrians.
    The laws of physics mean that a 1600kg vehicle has right of way.

    I choked on my breakfast cereal as I was reading, but did not bring the paper in. Anyone else have access or know the URL?

    so duty of care doesn't stand up to the laws of physics either??

    Some people are plaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiin DUMB.. and STUPID. sigh.. think I am having a grumpy day! 😠

  7. warrwych said:

    so duty of care doesn't stand up to the laws of physics either??

    Shesssh, don't be so naive! BTW, can someone type out the letter? Pretty please. 😉

  8. cfsmtb said:

    Shesssh, don't be so naive! BTW, can someone type out the letter? Pretty please. 😉

    Sounds like FD is on the ball re: letter writing. Niave: Maybe I have lived in the sticks for too long?? :p hehe

  9. warrwych said:

    so duty of care doesn't stand up to the laws of physics either??

    Some people are plaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiin DUMB.. and STUPID. sigh.. think I am having a grumpy day! 😠


    Dumb and stupid from walking into poles, apparently. Not the sort of thing I do.

    I just wish I had the text. It was funny, sad and infuriating at the same time.

  10. cfsmtb said:

    Shesssh, don't be so naive! BTW, can someone type out the letter? Pretty please. 😉


    Look out for yourself

    Jason dne Hollander (Drive, 18/01) would like some reassurance when crossing a four way intersection at a pedestrian light that a `first class citizens' in autombiles aren't going to mow him down.

    While the vast majority of drivers try to obey the road rules and traffic signals, mistakes do happen. Carelessness does raise its ugly head. Distraction is a part of life. Ever stepped on something unpleasant or walked into a pole? I sure have.

    The next time Mr den Hollander steps across the intersection, I wouuld like to remind him as I was taught i school to look both ways for oncoming traffic and ensure they know to stop. Road rules, right of way, green men, red lights, ``safety'' cameras, tracion control and ABS brakes are well and good, but do bear in mind that basic physics states that a 1600kg car at 50km/h is still going to have right of way over a 70kg pedestrian.

    Jreemy Ngoh, Mount Waverley.

    And now my lunch should be ready.

  11. EuanB said:

    Look out for yourself

    Jason dne Hollander (Drive, 18/01) would like some reassurance when crossing a four way intersection at a pedestrian light that a `first class citizens' in autombiles aren't going to mow him down.

    While the vast majority of drivers try to obey the road rules and traffic signals, mistakes do happen. Carelessness does raise its ugly head. Distraction is a part of life. Ever stepped on something unpleasant or walked into a pole? I sure have.

    The next time Mr den Hollander steps across the intersection, I wouuld like to remind him as I was taught i school to look both ways for oncoming traffic and ensure they know to stop. Road rules, right of way, green men, red lights, ``safety'' cameras, tracion control and ABS brakes are well and good, but do bear in mind that basic physics states that a 1600kg car at 50km/h is still going to have right of way over a 70kg pedestrian.

    Jreemy Ngoh, Mount Waverley.

    And now my lunch should be ready.


    The laws of physics also suggest that after Jeremy hits a pedestrian in his Prado, his 150kg cellmate Bubba will also have "Right of Way".

    I can;t believe he freelky admitted to walking into a pole. I guess you can't see where you're going when your head is up your own [censored]...

  12. got hold of my reply sent this morning 😄

    "As if by cue, Jeremy Ngoh (Drive, 25/01) not only responds to my letter
    but unequivocally illustrates the self-centred attitude of a minority of drivers.
    In Jeremy's parallel universe "physics states that a 1600kg car at 50km/h is still going to have right of way over a 70kg pedestrian'!
    'Right of Way' ? Apparently road rules are governed by sheer force and 'physics'.
    'Give Way' is not code for 'Get out of my Way' Jeremy.
    As always, as a pedestrian I shall be ever vigilant for people travelling in parallel universes

  13. flyingdutch said:

    got hold of my reply sent this morning 😄

    "As if by cue, Jeremy Ngoh (Drive, 25/01) not only responds to my letter
    but unequivocally illustrates the self-centred attitude of a minority of drivers.
    In Jeremy's parallel universe "physics states that a 1600kg car at 50km/h is still going to have right of way over a 70kg pedestrian'!
    'Right of Way' ? Apparently road rules are governed by sheer force and 'physics'.
    'Give Way' is not code for 'Get out of my Way' Jeremy.
    As always, as a pedestrian I shall be ever vigilant for people travelling in parallel universes

    My reply would have been a lot more boooorrrriinnggg...zzzzzZZZZzzzzzz

  14. On 2006-01-25, EuanB (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:


    flyingdutch said:

    got hold of my reply sent this morning 😄

    "As if by cue, Jeremy Ngoh (Drive, 25/01) not only responds to my
    letter
    but unequivocally illustrates the self-centred attitude of a minority
    of drivers.
    In Jeremy's parallel universe "physics states that a 1600kg car at
    50km/h is still going to have right of way over a 70kg pedestrian'!
    'Right of Way' ? Apparently road rules are governed by sheer force and
    'physics'.
    'Give Way' is not code for 'Get out of my Way' Jeremy.
    As always, as a pedestrian I shall be ever vigilant for people
    travelling in parallel universes

    My reply would have been a lot more boooorrrriinnggg...zzzzzZZZZzzzzzz

    I would've gone off on a tangent about "'Give Way' is not code for
    'Get out of my Way' Jeremy, contrary to recent toyota HiLux ads".

    Heh.

    --
    TimC
    Behind every great computer sits a skinny little geek. --unknown

  15. Drive thru a red light with your "right of way" and you can end up on
    dangerous driving causing death charges

    "EuanB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    cfsmtb said:

    Shesssh, don't be so naive! BTW, can someone type out the letter? Pretty
    please. 😉


    Look out for yourself

    Jason dne Hollander (Drive, 18/01) would like some reassurance when
    crossing a four way intersection at a pedestrian light that a `first
    class citizens' in autombiles aren't going to mow him down.

    While the vast majority of drivers try to obey the road rules and
    traffic signals, mistakes do happen. Carelessness does raise its ugly
    head. Distraction is a part of life. Ever stepped on something
    unpleasant or walked into a pole? I sure have.

    The next time Mr den Hollander steps across the intersection, I wouuld
    like to remind him as I was taught i school to look both ways for
    oncoming traffic and ensure they know to stop. Road rules, right of
    way, green men, red lights, ``safety'' cameras, tracion control and ABS
    brakes are well and good, but do bear in mind that basic physics states
    that a 1600kg car at 50km/h is still going to have right of way over a
    70kg pedestrian.

    Jreemy Ngoh, Mount Waverley.

    And now my lunch should be ready.

    --
    EuanB

  16. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Sound of line peeling off reel. You've interpreted
    his stupid argument as intentional.
    Why respond to this moron?

    Donga

  17. sinus said:

    In today's Age motoring section there is a response to FD's letter last
    week. Hilarious, unless the writer was serious. sadly, he probably was.

    I can't find a URL and do not have the paper with me but the gist
    was....

    Pedestrians should learn to look both ways, etc. etc.
    Everyone makes mistakes and is inattentive, pedestrians as well. In
    fact the writer steps on dog ... and walks into poles sometimes. This
    explains why motorists might not see pedestrians.
    The laws of physics mean that a 1600kg vehicle has right of way.

    I choked on my breakfast cereal as I was reading, but did not bring the
    paper in. Anyone else have access or know the URL?


    www.theage.com.au

    Then look for the specific article. Probably under Letters, which has
    its own listing.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.