Road versus packed gravel speeds

skammer

Sep 17, 2007
In your experience, how much of a difference is there in the speeds you can hold on a rail trail made of packed gravel and limestone, versus pavement?

skammer said:
In your experience, how much of a difference is there in the speeds you can hold on a rail trail made of packed gravel and limestone, versus pavement?
Presuming you do NOT want to spray any riders who are behind you with gravel, I would guess that the difference in speed is a factor of about TWO.

I am not sure I am following that...define a factor of two? Are you saying you think it's twice as fast? I am not sure i would agree with that...I am able to hold 19MPH on a 22 mile out and back.

skammer said:
I am not sure I am following that...define a factor of two? Are you saying you think it's twice as fast? I am not sure i would agree with that...I am able to hold 19MPH on a 22 mile out and back.
Yes, twice as fast ...

But, I don't think a person should ride at a speed of more than 9-to-12+ MPH on that kind of "trail" ... because of the trail surface, itself, and the presence of other, pokier riders. Isn't the posted OR unspoken speed limit on bike paths 15 MPH?

It seems as though before you asked your question, you had the answer you wanted OR is it that you wanted to race someone?!?

I am not following you at all. There is no unspoken speed limits on rail trails. I was simply asking for the forum member's opinions on the difference in coefficient of friction between packed gravel/limestone and macadam pavement.