roadie to mountain

utlucky

Jul 6, 2007
I have been an avid roadie, I just purchased a Trek fuel 9.0 mountain bike I am having trouble with the fit. My buddy told me to keep the seat low enough to touch the ground while sitting on the saddle. This seems really uncomfortable and is nothing like I am used to on my roadie. What do all you guys do for fit?

It depends on the riding you are doing. If you are just riding trails or doing XC then it's not that different from your road setup. The only reason I would keep the seat lower is if I was doing mostly downhill of jumps etc... which I don't.
My MTB is setup very similar to that of a road bike.

utlucky said:
I have been an avid roadie, I just purchased a Trek fuel 9.0 mountain bike I am having trouble with the fit. My buddy told me to keep the seat low enough to touch the ground while sitting on the saddle. This seems really uncomfortable and is nothing like I am used to on my roadie. What do all you guys do for fit?
They take getting used to...FS bikes have a higher bottom bracket and standover compared to roadies...the fit is the same when setting up the distance from the saddle to the BB/stem, but you will sitting much higher...on some bikes you may not be able to touch the ground with your full foot when seated...maybe just a toe

Also, make sure that you set your sag at the recommended height...that will lower your bike by about a half inch

happy trails

For XC the saddle to bottom bracket distance should be the same as your road bike, assuming the cranks are also the same length. I can only touch the ground on my tip toes while seated. If I need to touch I will stand over the top-tube.
If you are doing some very technical riding or jumping it may help to lower the saddle an inch or two.

I have spent most of my rides on the 7 Stanes routes and I adjust seat level depending on the route, If there is a lot of narrow downhill track then I will need more foot to ground, but on most routes the balls of your feet are ideal.

But you will find the right setup as you go. Otherwise just the same as your roadbike.

utlucky said:
what? like everyone else said, fit it up like your road bike. unless you're doing a lot of drops and moving around, the most efficient position is where your leg is slightly bent.

Ok I measured the distance form the bb to the saddle on my roadie and set up my moutain bike the same I went a short ride today and it felt better. Thanks for the help