Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Roadies: What cassette are you using?

Started by LeDomestique · · Last activity · 17 posts · 2,416 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 January 2007
Last activity
16 January 2007
Original author
LeDomestique
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,416
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What combo do you have on your rear cluster?

    11 - 21
    11 - 23
    12 - 23
    12 - 25
    12 - 27
    12 - 29
    12 - >29
    13 - 23
    13 - 25
    14 - x
    other

    thanks

  2. I use a 13-26 for training because there are a few hills in my area and a 14-23 for racing (I'm a junior so I must use the 14).

  3. 11-21 for crits
    12-23/12-25 for training
    12-25 for hilly road races
    12-28 (custom) for mountain riding
    11-23 for time trials

  4. I have an 11-23 on my triple, thought the 11 would be good for decents, while the triple still gives me that killer bail out option.

    I'd much rather ride the 12-25. Much more usable gears for normal riding in the middle (40) and big (53)

    Next bike will either be 11-23x50-34 compact, or 12-25x53-39 with a 12-27 for hill events

  5. 12-27 - hills
    11-25 - moderate hills
    11-23 - flat terrain

  6. 11 - 23 with compact cranks (50 - 36). Perfect for my non-racing riding, though a lower gear (25T) would suit me better when there are serious hills.

  7. 13-23. No major hills on my training rides given the areas I am riding at present.

  8. 12x23 is my all purpose, go up, go down, go flat cassette. I've yet to need an 11T on a regular basis. Our descents in Japan are usually too curvy to spin out the 12T.

    And only have three mountainous routes that I would put the 12x25 on for, but don't need to if I'm feeling like the challenge.

  9. NomadVW said:

    12x23 is my all purpose, go up, go down, go flat cassette. I've yet to need an 11T on a regular basis. Our descents in Japan are usually too curvy to spin out the 12T. -snip-

    You should come up to Hokkaido! We've got lots of mountains here where you could easily spin out a 53x11, no problem. In fact, I've hit 92 kph going down Bihoro Pass - most of the roads here are straight, straight, straight and super-wide (at least compared to Honshu roads).
    Having said that though, I do miss the curvy roads down south, they were fun - I used to live in Niigata before moving up here.

    Ok, sorry for the off-topic stuff.

    Criterium and flat TTs: 11-21
    Hilly road races: 12-23 or 25
    Training: 12-25
    I'm using a 52 outer, so I'm not Superman or anything; the only reason I use the 11-21 is to get an 18 and it also has only one step between cogs (except the 19-21 of course)....you can find your perfect gear in a tt or crit.

  10. Mine wasn't there 11-25

  11. Likewise Mike, mine weren't there either.

    5 speed: 14-28 (spin on)
    6 speed: 14-28 " "
    7 speed: 11-28 " "
    7 speed: 11-24 cassette
    8 speed: 11-24 " "
    8 speed: 12-25 " "
    9 speed: 12-25 " "
    9 speed: 12-23 " "
    9 speed: 13-23 " "

  12. BikingBrian said:


    Criterium and flat TTs: 11-21
    Hilly road races: 12-23 or 25
    Training: 12-25
    I'm using a 52 outer, so I'm not Superman or anything; the only reason I use the 11-21 is to get an 18 and it also has only one step between cogs (except the 19-21 of course)....you can find your perfect gear in a tt or crit.


    The fact that you say criterium just makes me sick. Down here in Yamaguchi we can't get a criterium to save our lives. Closest criteriums are in Osaka once or twice a year, and everything else close is Tokyo. Other than that it's 100km+ road races.

  13. 12-25 (39-53 up front, rolling to hilly terrain) i miss that 18 cog, so i'm going to a 12-23 on a spare wheelset.

    the track bike is currently set up at 50 x 18 for flat to rolling terrain training rides.

  14. Training bike 12 - 27(9 speed) with 38/48. Hilly area and the older I get....

    Racing bike 12 - 25(but will change to a 12 - 23(for most flat races this year) and 42/50.

  15. Had a 11-23 with 50/36 and then chnaged to 11-23 53/39 and then chnaged to 12-25....Just bought a 12-27 for training and for ultra hilly races. I want the bailout gear to recover from intervals, etc. while on very rolling roads with 4 to 8% grades non-stop.

  16. 10-speed 12-23 and 53/38 is all I use.

  17. I really like my all-around 53/39 with a 12-21 out back. No significant hills/mountains for me. Good for crits...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.