Mike Jacoubowsky said:OK, time to fess up, who was out there on Sonora Pass today? Saw a guy in a Webcor jersey climbing
up the east side, another guy out there on a recumbent, and a number of others.
Some of the folks you saw were on our ride. We were on the steep part of Sonora Pass, riding east to
west, around noon. Webcor jersey wearer was Stefan Blum. He is a fast climber. A few minutes behind
him was Lloyd Chambers, in a plain olive greeen jersey. I was wearing a plain gold jersey, and I may
have been behind or ahead of Lloyd, since I passed him part of the way up. Behind both of us was
John Hofstader, wearing a grey sleeveless jersey. Another rider was Kevin Flynn, wearing a
red/yellow/blue Solvang Century jersey. I'm not sure where in the order he was.
We were doing the First Annual Kiss of Death Ride (it's my ride and that's what I'm calling it). We
started in Sonora on Saturday morning, riding Highway 4 over Ebbetts Pass to Markleeville, where we
had an al fresco Italian dinner at Villa Gigli and spent the night at the J. Marklee Toll House
hotel. Sunday morning, we headed out at dawn from Markleeville, over Monitor Pass, had a hot
breakfast at the Meadowcliff Restaurant near Coleville, rode the hot and windy 395 south to Sonora
Junction, over Sonora Pass, had lunch at the pass, rode back to Sonora and our waiting cars. But
before we drove home, we had a post-ride dinner at Nanna's Restaurant.
Folks were tired by the end, but everyone agreed it was a fun ride. We'll definitely do it again
next year. Ride stats:
Day 1: 90 miles, 10,500' ascent Day 2: 132 miles, 11,500' ascent Total: 222 miles, 22,000' ascent
I'll post the photos as soon as I can add all the captions.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA terrymorse.combikeOpen ↗