Rollers versus Trainers

hippie

Sep 9, 2010
I have a Rear wheel trainer & it kind of boring & it's also loud, & feels totally differnt than the road. I was wondering if Rollers would suit me better ?. I have riden rollers before back in the 80's. Im no expert but i am fairly comfortable on them. I was thinking about getting some, because there are times at night i feel like riding, but it's Dark outside, also it would give me something to do :D. So can some of you tell me the benifits of rollers versus Trainers ?. Thank you

If there is all ready a Thread on this Topic, could someone please post a link. Thank you

hippie said:
I have a Rear wheel trainer & it kind of boring & it's also loud, & feels totally differnt than the road. I was wondering if Rollers would suit me better ?. I have riden rollers before back in the 80's. Im no expert but i am fairly comfortable on them. I was thinking about getting some, because there are times at night i feel like riding, but it's Dark outside, also it would give me something to do :D. So can some of you tell me the benifits of rollers versus Trainers ?. Thank you

The disadvantage of rollers is that they supply very little resistance. I use a 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons and get to about 300 watts doing efforts before I spin out. If I use 23mm Conti GP4000s it's about 200 watts.

Like any indoor session you want to do a shortish workout so want to keep the intensity high so rollers may not be ideal.

hippie said:
...So can some of you tell me the benifits of rollers versus Trainers ?.
Rollers are fun and feel more like riding and as long as they have a resistance unit can provide great training. If you have issues with balance or riding a straight line, rollers will clear that up in a hurry or you won't stay on them long. Trainers are less scary, mindless and you'll never ride off of them even when killing it in a short interval or while watching an exciting movie.

If you've got the funds, check these out for some uber cool rollers: Inside Ride, Inc.: Home of E-Motion Rollers - E-Motion Rollers Video Gallery

-Dave

Wow those are Pricey. They sure do look very smooth especially when the guy was throwing the bike a round.

fergie said:
The disadvantage of rollers is that they supply very little resistance. I use a 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons and get to about 300 watts doing efforts before I spin out. If I use 23mm Conti GP4000s it's about 200 watts....
I suspect this is old news to you Fergie, but I used to fold up an old towel and put it down under my rear roller to increase resistance on a set that didn't have mag resistance or a fan unit. Fold the towel more times for extra thickness, more friction and more resistance. Use an old towel as the friction burns the towel and leaves marks you won't get off.

-Dave

Thats cheap resistence :D. I like those Rollers, but i think i would rather put that money toward some Reyolds Carbon wheels.

daveryanwyoming said:
If you've got the funds, check these out for some uber cool rollers: Inside Ride, Inc.: Home of E-Motion Rollers - E-Motion Rollers Video Gallery

-Dave

I've never tried the Inside Ride E Motion, but I have heard they are nice. The word on the E Motions is that they allow for a bit less concentration than other rollers, due to the motion system, and you can stand/sprint easier. Lots of videos are available on youtube about them.

Personally I use TruTrainers that are about the same price as the E Trainers, and are also very nice. Very quiet, and they have a sexy quality aura about them. You can't work as high a resistance as the E Motions, I've heard.
There are a few youtube videos out there.

I have a cyclops trainer with lots of resistance available. Bores me to tears. Want to buy it? I can't bring myself to ride it when the sexy rollers are right there.

On a different note, some say that trainers introduce large and unusual stresses to your frame due to it being locked in. Be cautious and avoid putting your good bike in the trainer. Rollers do not introduce any weird stresses (unless you fall!), so you can ride the sweet bike on them.