Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Roof Rack Alarm?

Started by mark_2811 · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,531 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
2 July 2005
Last activity
8 July 2005
Original author
mark_2811
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,531
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, I've heard about an accessory that you can buy for a roof rack that will alarm if you're about to drive under something too low. I google'd but couldn't find any info. Does anyone know of anything like this?

    Thanks!

    Mark

  2. mark_2811 said:

    Hi, I've heard about an accessory that you can buy for a roof rack that will alarm if you're about to drive under something too low. I google'd but couldn't find any info. Does anyone know of anything like this?

    Thanks!

    Mark


    Yeah, it's called a bike🙁

  3. Has nobody heard of this thing? I'm pretty sure it exists, but haven't been able to get any info.....

  4. There's no such thing. Just tie an orange ribbon somewhere in your dashboard to remind you that something is in your roof rack. 🙂

  5. mark_2811 said:

    Has nobody heard of this thing? I'm pretty sure it exists, but haven't been able to get any info.....

    How the hell would you expect such a thing to work? Lasers?

    The closest thing I've seen is a magnetic flag that goes on your hood and has a little spring hinge; when you go slow (as in you might be getting ready to park) the flag pops up to remind you there's a bike on the roof. When you go fast the flag swings down out of the way. Probably has saved zero bikes since it was invented but who knows.

  6. DiabloScott said:

    How the hell would you expect such a thing to work? Lasers?

    The closest thing I've seen is a magnetic flag that goes on your hood and has a little spring hinge; when you go slow (as in you might be getting ready to park) the flag pops up to remind you there's a bike on the roof. When you go fast the flag swings down out of the way. Probably has saved zero bikes since it was invented but who knows.


    A lot of parking structures have alarms for overheight vehicles, but they are mounted on a pole outside the entrance. I don't think putting one on a roof rack would be feasible.

  7. After having this problem once (I only ripped off the seatpost and broke it in half, and tore the rails off the saddle--minor compared to what could have happened), I mounted a small mirror on my dashboard that allows me to see the bikes on the roof while I'm driving. If I'm doing a longer trip, I'll tape a note up on the dash too. I always heard about people doing that, and wondered "how the heck can you forget that your expensive, nice bike is on the roof and drive into your garage or something"--then I did it and realized how easily I had forgotten. DOH!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.