UK and Europe · Public discussion

Roof rack for recumbent

Started by scott135 · · Last activity · 8 posts · 652 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
30 July 2007
Last activity
31 July 2007
Original author
scott135
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
652
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello All,

    I am looking for an appropriate roof-mounted bike rack for a recumbent
    (an HPV Streetmachine) and wondered if anyone could recommend any that
    fit? I've narrowed it down to either Mont Blanc or Thule but I can't
    take the bike to a local dealer as I haven't taken delivery of it yet
    (excitement mounts...) and, in fact, I need the rack in order to
    collect the bike (from Kinetics in Glasgow) as I am pretty sure it
    won't fit in the back of the car.

    Many thanks for any suggestions, Scott.

  2. scott135 said:

    I am looking for an appropriate roof-mounted bike rack for a recumbent
    (an HPV Streetmachine) and wondered if anyone could recommend any that
    fit? I've narrowed it down to either Mont Blanc or Thule but I can't
    take the bike to a local dealer as I haven't taken delivery of it yet
    (excitement mounts...) and, in fact, I need the rack in order to
    collect the bike (from Kinetics in Glasgow) as I am pretty sure it
    won't fit in the back of the car.

    We've not actually taken our 'bents about by car, or at least not since
    there was just the one and I had a Volvo 740 estate, but we've generally
    found that if you just take roof bars where you can adjust the spacing,
    and add suitable padding (pipe lagging from B&Q on ours) then you can
    take a fair range of stuff on the roof. In this way, I took my 8Freight
    home from Kinetics (it was too long to be sure I could take it on the
    train).

    You can make life easier with the Streetmachine by dismounting the seat,
    and if you take the bars off too then I'd guess it would lay on its side
    on roof bars without major problems.

    Enjoy the bike, I still love mine after several years :-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. scott135 said:

    Hello All,

    I am looking for an appropriate roof-mounted bike rack for a recumbent
    (an HPV Streetmachine) and wondered if anyone could recommend any that
    fit? I've narrowed it down to either Mont Blanc or Thule but I can't
    take the bike to a local dealer as I haven't taken delivery of it yet
    (excitement mounts...) and, in fact, I need the rack in order to
    collect the bike (from Kinetics in Glasgow) as I am pretty sure it
    won't fit in the back of the car.

    Many thanks for any suggestions, Scott.

    I'd have thought, despite the HPV SM geometry, that the Thule roofbar rack
    would fit. We have a couple of sets and the same unit can be used for
    anything from a childs 16" cycle to my Mountain bike.

    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_170000_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_38300_crumb_33980_parentcategoryrn_38300#

    If you're worried, take a couple of extra straps and run them over the
    handlebars and through the rear windows .. 😉

    --
    Paul - [censored]

  4. On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:25:11 -0700, scott135
    <[email hidden]> said in
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking for an appropriate roof-mounted bike rack for a recumbent
    (an HPV Streetmachine) and wondered if anyone could recommend any that
    fit?

    I have a Barracuda which works for everything from a 20" wheel small
    person's Trek to a full size adult tourer, specifically including
    the Optima Stinger. I have nothing bad to say about it whatsoever,
    and have used it for a Several of journeys with the 'bent.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  5. scott135 said:

    I am pretty sure it won't fit in the back of the car.

    It depends how small your car is. When I bought my Streetmachine I put
    it in the back of my Rover Metro. I removed the seat (the one on the
    bike!) and may have removed a wheel or two (also on the bike), but it
    wasn't difficult. I think there might have been a problem if I had had a
    passenger in the car too, though.

    Bob

  6. scott135 said:

    I am looking for an appropriate roof-mounted bike rack for a recumbent
    (an HPV Streetmachine) and wondered if anyone could recommend any that
    fit?

    My Street Machine fits very nicely on a Thule 510 rack [1].
    Unfortunately that model is no longer listed in the Thule range. The
    nearest equivalent seems to be the FreeRide 530. I suspect the ProRide
    591 might be more difficult to fit.

    I recommend <http://www.roofbox.co.uk/> as a supplier, BTW.

    [1] <http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z-helgacar.jpg>
    (I usually put her up there without the seat, though).

    --
    Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
    Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often
    "Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
    Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    scott135
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello All,

    I am looking for an appropriate roof-mounted bike rack for a recumbent
    (an HPV Streetmachine) and wondered if anyone could recommend any that
    fit? I've narrowed it down to either Mont Blanc or Thule but I can't
    take the bike to a local dealer as I haven't taken delivery of it yet
    (excitement mounts...) and, in fact, I need the rack in order to
    collect the bike (from Kinetics in Glasgow) as I am pretty sure it
    won't fit in the back of the car.


    It looks like any of the type where you remove the front wheel and clamp
    the forks to the carrier would work well (and it's a small wheel so no
    problem sticking it in the back of the car). You might want to
    supplement it with a tie-down strap to preload the suspension a bit.

  8. Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    scott135
    [email hidden] says...> Hello All,

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking for an appropriate roof-mounted bike rack for a recumbent
    (an HPV Streetmachine) and wondered if anyone could recommend any that
    fit? I've narrowed it down to either Mont Blanc or Thule but I can't
    take the bike to a local dealer as I haven't taken delivery of it yet
    (excitement mounts...) and, in fact, I need the rack in order to
    collect the bike (from Kinetics in Glasgow) as I am pretty sure it
    won't fit in the back of the car.

    It looks like any of the type where you remove the front wheel and clamp
    the forks to the carrier would work well (and it's a small wheel so no
    problem sticking it in the back of the car). You might want to
    supplement it with a tie-down strap to preload the suspension a bit.

    Thanks all for your very helpful advice. I decided on a Mont Blanc
    Barracuda, mainly because Guy Chapman uses one for his Optima Stinger,
    and so there shouldn't be too much difficulty getting it to fit.
    Cheers again, Scott.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.