Route advice requested - No. Maine

Ron Wallenfang

Guest
On a pending trip, I'm planning to reenter the US at Edmonston/Madawaska and head south toward
Philadelphia or so. In northern Maine, there appear to be 3 alternatives:

1. Route 1 (?) through Caribou and Preque Isle.

2. Route Alt 1 through Limestone and Fort Fairfield.

3. Route 11 through Ft. Kent, Portage and Ashland.

How do these routes compare from whatever standpoint you think important - safety - availability of
services - road surface - amount of climbing - whatever?

I've never been in the area. Looking at the ap, my bias going in is to go through Caribout and
Presque Isle, on the assumption there's more places to eat, sleep, etc., and insufficient traffic to
make the road dangerous, but I'd appreciate the insight on anyone who knows the area. Thanks.

RonWallenfang

check the East Coast Greenway web page. Their goal is to have a off road route from Main to Florida.
Currently where the off road trail is not available, on road roads are available.
http://www.greenway.org/

--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
[email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //