UK and Europe · Public discussion

RR: Autumn Assortment 100

Started by Tim Hall · · Last activity · 8 posts · 510 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 September 2006
Last activity
27 September 2006
Original author
Tim Hall
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
510
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A few weeks ago Mrs. Hall and I had a "frank exchange of views" over
    several things, including the fact that I bugger off on the
    occassional Audax leaving her at home. The natural culmination of
    such a discussion was that we ride one together. Time passed and
    weekends had been busy. Then last Thursday I noticed we were free this
    weekend and The Autumn Assortment was happening. I rang the organiser
    who agreed to let us enter on the line. All set.

    Cut to Sunday morning. 7 o'clock and Mrs. Hall is still in bed. A bit
    of coaxing and we're up and ready. Then she decides it's time to do
    her legs. I tut, remain calm and we're off.

    Nine o'clock and we get to Ruislip, with a height barrier at the car
    park. Unload bike, _then_ park car. Sign in, cup of coffee, looks of
    amazement from the other entrants at the Pino and we're off.

    Fairly soon we're the lanterne rouge - we can't rush these things. A
    bit of plodding on, under the M25 and up into the Chilterns. Not
    massive hills, but some short sharp buggers. We grit teeth, change
    down and get up them without bursting any blood vessels. This
    perservence pays off and we eventually catch a father and son team
    from Willesden CC. We play tag with them and a pair of late starters
    for the rest of the morning. A bit more undulating (1) countryside and
    we find ourselves on top Ivinghoe Beacon. We scream(ish) down the
    other side and then grovel the last bit to the halfway control at
    Aldbury tea room. I remembered this from doing the 200 a couple of
    years ago and it was as still as slow as ever. We get more food and
    drink at village shop and set off again.

    Up, down, along, up and "descend grotty lane" where the p*nct*re fairy
    strikes. Bum. Remembering HDV's advice, I scoff an energy bar before
    fixing the puncture. We get passed by those we have left in the tea
    room and regain our lanterne rouge. Setting off again we manage about
    10 yards before the _other_ thorn in the tyre reminds us of its
    prescence. Bad words and tools out again. Eventually we're off again,
    struggling a bit in the scenery. Then a good flat bit and the spectre
    of running out of time recedes. We stop near Coleshill for breather
    and watch some Red Kites.

    A final bit of scenery near Chalfont St Giles and back over the M25.
    We're going well but counting every kilometer. And then we've
    finished.

    Squash, tinned rice pud and peaches, a quick natter with a former
    Tandem Club RO and back to the car park. I load the roof rack and
    BUGGER, forget about the height barrier, fortunately before I've
    attempted to drive out of the car park. Unload, move car, reload and
    off home. Mrs. Hall sleeps most of the way.

    Those stats in full:

    Distance: 103km
    Time: ooh ages. Somwhere in excess of 7 hours.
    Badgers: 0
    Red kites: 3
    Minutes at tea stop: 40

    Tim

    (1) Is flat ground "dulating"?

  2. "Tim Hall" wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Those stats in full:

    Distance: 103km
    Time: ooh ages. Somwhere in excess of 7 hours.
    Badgers: 0
    Red kites: 3
    Minutes at tea stop: 40

    nice one; my old old stomping ground. You missed a corker of a 1.0 AAA down
    in Kent, frequented by 3 of this parish

  3. Tim Hall said:

    Sign in, cup of coffee, looks of
    amazement from the other entrants at the Pino and we're off.

    Aha! We were chatting to a chap in the caff in Aldbury who said he'd seen a
    rather odd tandem earlier in the day and described a Pino. "I know a chap
    who's got one of those", I said...

    On the 200[1] I only got one kite, one buzzard (who I'm convinced was eyeing
    me up hungrily), no badgers and one p+nct+r+ which the Slime seems to have
    sealed after a couple of abortive attempts. Very nice ride once the rain
    had stopped.

    1 - 210 and a bit. "1st L no SP" said the route sheet. "No, not down
    there!" said a chap fixing a p+nct+r+ at the junction. He had, apparently,
    been advised by a Man of Willesden that this was not the right road. It is
    gratifying to note that the Turnbull Effect is spreading to his clubmates
    :-)

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    It would appear apparent, to me at least, that dinosaurs were
    largely burrowing creatures.

  4. "MartinM" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    "Tim Hall" wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Those stats in full:

    Distance: 103km
    Time: ooh ages. Somwhere in excess of 7 hours.
    Badgers: 0
    Red kites: 3
    Minutes at tea stop: 40

    Quoted message said:

    nice one; my old old stomping ground. You missed a corker of a 1.0 AAA down
    in Kent, frequented by 3 of this parish

    Rocco made some pithy comment when he saw me riding the Pedersen.
    I wonder if he'd recognise it if Tim Audaxed on it?

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  5. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tim Hall said:

    Sign in, cup of coffee, looks of
    amazement from the other entrants at the Pino and we're off.

    Aha! We were chatting to a chap in the caff in Aldbury who said he'd seen


    a

    Quoted message said:

    rather odd tandem earlier in the day and described a Pino. "I know a chap
    who's got one of those", I said...

    I have still only ever seen one (and not one bearing a brace of Halls) on
    the Denmead 100. The couple on it said they bought it after seeing Tim's.

  6. Dave Larrington said:
    Tim Hall said:

    Sign in, cup of coffee, looks of
    amazement from the other entrants at the Pino and we're off.

    Aha! We were chatting to a chap in the caff in Aldbury who said he'd seen a
    rather odd tandem earlier in the day and described a Pino. "I know a chap
    who's got one of those", I said...


    What time did you get to Aldbury? Wozzit an older chap with large,
    proper flappy touring style shorts and big socks? We left at one,
    heading for the post office where Welsh Cakes were obtained.

    Quoted message said:

    On the 200[1] I only got one kite, one buzzard (who I'm convinced was eyeing
    me up hungrily), no badgers and one p+nct+r+ which the Slime seems to have
    sealed after a couple of abortive attempts. Very nice ride once the rain
    had stopped.

    Aye. Ipssing down at the start according to Liz.

    Tim

  7. Tim Hall said:

    What time did you get to Aldbury? Wozzit an older chap with large,
    proper flappy touring style shorts and big socks? We left at one,
    heading for the post office where Welsh Cakes were obtained.

    I didn't get there until gone five p.m. - Aldbury was at 167 km according to
    the Cateye. The chap with whom we were chatting was a forty-something
    fellow in a yellow T-shaped shirt; I think he said he'd encountered Bicycles
    (assorted) while out messing around on motorcycles earlier in the day.

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    Oxymoron: spot cream for chavs.

  8. Dave Larrington said:
    Tim Hall said:

    What time did you get to Aldbury? Wozzit an older chap with large,
    proper flappy touring style shorts and big socks? We left at one,
    heading for the post office where Welsh Cakes were obtained.

    I didn't get there until gone five p.m. - Aldbury was at 167 km according to
    the Cateye. The chap with whom we were chatting was a forty-something
    fellow in a yellow T-shaped shirt; I think he said he'd encountered Bicycles
    (assorted) while out messing around on motorcycles earlier in the day.

    Ah yes. We got overtaken by a several of [censored] Old Bikes near
    <$somewhere in the Chilterns>. Then we turned right and they left.
    Some time later as we grovelled up the last hill before Aldbury a chap
    on a more modern day contraption and his chum on another [censored] Old
    Bike passed us. They slowed to ask us a question, which as they were
    wearing full face helmets sounded like it was spoken by Kenny from
    South Park (1). My inner babel fish kicked in and decided they were
    asking whether we'd seen any [censored] Old Bikes. Yes, somewhere in a lane
    far far away was the answer and they pottered off.

    Tim

    (1) Kenny speak translator at <http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.