Finally got back on my bike after a six + month hiatus. It's amazing what you have to sacrifice with
a pregnant wife and a newborn.
Anyway, did my local ride (Aliso-Wood Canyon), down Rock-It, across on Coyote and up Mathis. While
you never forget how to ride a bike, it's amazing how your skills deteriorate. My front tire was all
over the place, I couldn't hold a good line to save my life. Coming up Mathis I had to stop a few
times to douse the fire in my burning legs and lungs.
Back at the trail head, I checked my time. Twenty minutes longer than my average a year ago. You
would think I would be disappointed. Not at all, one of my best rides ever. Just to feel the crunch
of dirt under my tires, to hear the familiar sounds of my bike going through swooping singletrack,
to smell the fresh air (for So. Cal) and the sweat stinging my eyes. This is what it is all about.
cg