Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

RR: Blackburn 1/20 ITT

Started by gplama · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,565 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
25 September 2005
Last activity
28 September 2005
Original author
gplama
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,565
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Blackburn Cycling Club held an ITT up the 1/20 today – great day for my first attempt at this climb, sun shining and not much wind about. Good turn out by HCC members too.

    Brief Overview:
    1/20 - 6.75 km @ 4.2% (see c2m for more details)
    My _personally recorded_ time: 15:52 (polar HRM lap timer)

    I did note there were lots of unhappy riders around after the event. Further comment withheld pending the publication of “official timings” and/or a statement by Blackburn.

    Other than that, an awesome days riding with a great bunch of guys.

    GPL

  2. gplama said:


    Other than that, an awesome days riding with a great bunch of guys.
    GPL


    awww shucks

    A copy of my brief report

    -----

    [font=Courier New]Just a quick run down on some times and places

    Me- 16:37 and 2nd place in M17

    Peter B- 15:50ish!!! 1st place in M17

    Daniel B- 15:00ish!!! 1st place in M19

    Shane M- 15:52?? Not bad for a first time up.

    Nick C- 16:20ish (I think) 3rd in ???? with the assistance of some
    shonky time-keeping, who knows really.

    Stuart D- 17:10??

    Quadzilla (rus C)- 16:55

    I think that's it...
    A quick summary would be, late to start, late to give out prizemoney
    and a severe lack of grade two maths really showed in the
    organisation by Blackburn.

    But still fun.[/font]

  3. gplama said:

    Blackburn Cycling Club held an ITT up the 1/20 today - great day for my
    first attempt at this climb, sun shining and not much wind about. Good
    turn out by HCC members too.

    Brief Overview:
    1/20 - 6.75 km @ 4.2% (see c2m for more details)
    My _personally recorded_ time: 15:52 (polar HRM lap timer)

    I did note there were lots of unhappy riders around after the event.
    Further comment withheld pending the publication of "official timings"
    and/or a statement by Blackburn.

    I was the one holding you at the start line. No-one said
    hello .. bums!

    Anyway, the story with the timing is this - as I'm lead to
    believe.

    About 20 mins into the event, the clock at the top stopped
    working properly. Yes, there should have been redundancy, but
    it seems there wasn't. As such, the timing got mucked up. At
    the start we were too busy recording starters to deal with
    the stuff at the top, and as anyone who's volunteered to help
    run an event will know, when things go wrong, and you're
    short on numbers, fixing it can be non-trivial.

    That's what I heard, anyway.

  4. Bleve said:


    I was the one holding you at the start line. No-one said
    hello .. bums!

    Anyway, the story with the timing is this - as I'm lead to
    believe.

    About 20 mins into the event, the clock at the top stopped
    working properly. Yes, there should have been redundancy, but
    it seems there wasn't. As such, the timing got mucked up. At
    the start we were too busy recording starters to deal with
    the stuff at the top, and as anyone who's volunteered to help
    run an event will know, when things go wrong, and you're
    short on numbers, fixing it can be non-trivial.

    That's what I heard, anyway.


    Sorry for not saying hello🙂 , I saw one poor little kid go about one metre then clip out of his pedal a la Lance Armstrong.

    With some of the Hawthorn TT's (which are now all cancelled) we used a laptop and excel spreadsheet which automatically detracted a person's start time from their gross time and everything worked out well, just a thought.

  5. Jono L said:

    Sorry for not saying hello🙂 , I saw one poor little kid go about one metre then clip out of his pedal a la Lance Armstrong.

    With some of the Hawthorn TT's (which are now all cancelled) we used a laptop and excel spreadsheet which automatically detracted a person's start time from their gross time and everything worked out well, just a thought.

    Hey, Craigster. you ran this at the HCC ITTs. any chance you could share this with Carl/Blackburn seeing as they help us so much with stuff? 😄
    (EMP template, CBradios, etc)

    cheers
    Flying"Vote4Jason"Dutch

  6. flyingdutch said:
    Jono L said:

    Sorry for not saying hello🙂 , I saw one poor little kid go about one
    metre then clip out of his pedal a la Lance Armstrong.

    With some of the Hawthorn TT's (which are now all cancelled) we used a
    laptop and excel spreadsheet which automatically detracted a person's
    start time from their gross time and everything worked out well, just a
    thought.

    Hey, Craigster. you ran this at the HCC ITTs. any chance you could
    share this with Carl/Blackburn seeing as they help us so much with
    stuff? 😄
    (EMP template, CBradios, etc)

    Irony time. Normally that's how BBN have done it. But, Alan was
    away on holiday and it's his laptop. CB radios
    don't work at the 1:20, not from the start to the
    finish anyway. There's too much hill between them

  7. HUMBUG said:

    On 26/09/05 at 10:54:08 Bleve somehow managed to type:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    away on holiday and it's his laptop. CB radios
    don't work at the 1:20, not from the start to the
    finish anyway. There's too much hill between them

    Perhaps get onto your local amateur radio (HAM) club. There's a listing
    at http://www.wia.org.au/info/clubs.php#vk3 . There's a few cycling
    radio amateurs around who'd be happy to help out.

    I think we use them for the DeBortoli (see my previous comments
    re using everyone for the one big event ...)

  8. On 2005-09-26, GPLama (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    Bring on RFID!!

    cheers,
    GPL
    :looking up RFID hacking: 😉

    Don't put your bike in the microwave.

    --
    TimC
    You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull
    his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you
    understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send
    signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that
    there is no cat. -- Albie E. on radios.

  9. TimC said:

    On 2005-09-26, GPLama (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    Bring on RFID!!

    cheers,
    GPL
    :looking up RFID hacking: 😉

    Don't put your bike in the microwave.

    Or at least, don't put the numbers in it anyway. These
    tags are going to be attached to jersey numbers.

  10. flyingdutch said:

    Hey, Craigster. you ran this at the HCC ITTs. any chance you could share this with Carl/Blackburn seeing as they help us so much with stuff? 😄
    (EMP template, CBradios, etc)

    cheers
    Flying"Vote4Jason"Dutch

    Sure, although I'll have to check on the spreadsheet because I belive it's copyrighted. I could always write them one for a small consulting fee... 🙂

    Of course you don't really need the spreadsheet at all - just synchronise 2 semi-accurate watches, send one to the finish line, then set the riders off at the agreed time. Provided no-one stuffs up and misses their allocated start time it should be easy to subtract start from finish to produce net time.

    Sounds simple but I sympathise with whoever was running the BBN one because those two TT's I looked after were enough stress to give me sleepless nights beforehand.

    Cheers,
    Craigster.

  11. craigster_jd said:

    Of course you don't really need the spreadsheet at all - just
    synchronise 2 semi-accurate watches, send one to the finish line, then
    set the riders off at the agreed time. Provided no-one stuffs up and
    misses their allocated start time it should be easy to subtract start
    from finish to produce net time.

    Exactly, but the clock at the top broke!

  12. gplama said:

    Blackburn Cycling Club held an ITT up the 1/20 today - great day for my
    first attempt at this climb, sun shining and not much wind about. Good
    turn out by HCC members too.

    Brief Overview:
    1/20 - 6.75 km @ 4.2% (see c2m for more details)
    My _personally recorded_ time: 15:52 (polar HRM lap timer)

    I just paid attention to this bit .. what grade are you racing?

    sub 16 mins is a bloody good time....

  13. "Bleve" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:


    gplama said:

    Blackburn Cycling Club held an ITT up the 1/20 today - great day for my
    first attempt at this climb, sun shining and not much wind about. Good
    turn out by HCC members too.

    Brief Overview:
    1/20 - 6.75 km @ 4.2% (see c2m for more details)
    My _personally recorded_ time: 15:52 (polar HRM lap timer)

    I just paid attention to this bit .. what grade are you racing?

    sub 16 mins is a bloody good time....

    Thanks for the complement.. for now, I'm a B grader 🙂 - only started this
    competitive thing mid Feb this year at the Kew crits.. I'm still not sure
    if I'm a climber or a sprinter, I'm doing ok at both at the moment..

    cheers,
    GPL

  14. quote='Bleve'gplama said:

    Blackburn Cycling Club held an ITT up the 1/20 today - great day for my
    first attempt at this climb, sun shining and not much wind about. Good
    turn out by HCC members too.

    Brief Overview:
    1/20 - 6.75 km @ 4.2% (see c2m for more details)
    My _personally recorded_ time: 15:52 (polar HRM lap timer)

    I just paid attention to this bit .. what grade are you racing?

    sub 16 mins is a bloody good time....[/QUOTE]
    The lama is racing B-grade atm, not to mention he won the last B-grade Hawthorn crit. *couh* [censored] *cough*😠 🙄 😄

  15. GPLama said:

    "Bleve" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:


    gplama said:

    Blackburn Cycling Club held an ITT up the 1/20 today - great day for my
    first attempt at this climb, sun shining and not much wind about. Good
    turn out by HCC members too.

    Brief Overview:
    1/20 - 6.75 km @ 4.2% (see c2m for more details)
    My _personally recorded_ time: 15:52 (polar HRM lap timer)

    I just paid attention to this bit .. what grade are you racing?

    sub 16 mins is a bloody good time....

    Thanks for the complement.. for now, I'm a B grader 🙂 - only started this
    competitive thing mid Feb this year at the Kew crits.. I'm still not sure
    if I'm a climber or a sprinter, I'm doing ok at both at the moment..

    Not so much a compliment as a statement of fact. That's a very good
    time. What other races have you done or are interested in? You
    going to enter the De Bortoli or the ToB?

  16. "Bleve" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Not so much a compliment as a statement of fact. That's a very good
    time. What other races have you done or are interested in? You
    going to enter the De Bortoli or the ToB?

    🙂 I've only done Kew crits and some club ITTs... Thinking about both De
    Bortoli and the ToB, not sure though.. I'll make up my mind after Sunday
    (HCC club RR champs out at Lancefield).. I've either gotta place, or at
    least make everyone else hurt... that's the plan.. both would be perfect 🙂

    cheers,
    GPL

  17. GPLama said:

    "Bleve" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Not so much a compliment as a statement of fact. That's a very good
    time. What other races have you done or are interested in? You
    going to enter the De Bortoli or the ToB?

    🙂 I've only done Kew crits and some club ITTs... Thinking about both De
    Bortoli and the ToB, not sure though.. I'll make up my mind after Sunday
    (HCC club RR champs out at Lancefield).. I've either gotta place, or at
    least make everyone else hurt... that's the plan.. both would be perfect 🙂

    Hehe, watch out for Cam, he's got a plan 🙂

  18. "Bleve" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Hehe, watch out for Cam, he's got a plan 🙂

    As long as that knee of his holds up, I'll keep an eye on him 🙂

    cheers,
    GPL

  19. GPLama said:


    As long as that knee of his holds up, I'll keep an eye on him 🙂

    cheers,
    GPL

    hehe. 'both' kness now apparently. I smells a ruse 😄

    you 2 gotta shake 'quadzilla'

  20. "flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    hehe. 'both' kness now apparently. I smells a ruse 😄

    you 2 gotta shake 'quadzilla'

    bah, quaddy isnt that bad... (russ I assume?).. Been chatting to Russ a
    bit at around the place, he is a great guy - always up for a chat and is
    bloody competitive!... bring on a loop with real hills next year, that'll
    sort them out (and suit me better!) 😉

    There was a fair amount of 'scoping' going on btwn us on the Mascot ride
    last Saturday.. and the sprints were life or death...

    cheers,
    GPL
    :2x life, 1x death (went early, he was on my wheel, but still came 2nd!):

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.