Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

RR: CBR Kingston Crits... my first!

Started by Bean Long · · Last activity · 8 posts · 627 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
1 November 2006
Last activity
2 November 2006
Original author
Bean Long
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
627
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well it's all a blur really but here's how I think it went:

    It was my first official crit so I wasn't all that eager to jump in at
    the deep end. Nonetheless, I started in D-grade, one row back about
    four or five out from the kerb. As soon as I took off I could feel my
    mouth go crispy dry and my legs felt heavy and sore. Adrenalin I
    guess!? Took a while to wind up and there was very little organisation
    in the pack coming into the first couple of corners. As a result I
    found myself breaking hard into most of the corners and surging to stay
    on the wheel in front. Not what I wanted but the pack was too
    disorderly to change things without spending too much energy. After a
    few laps of this I was starting to feel the pinch. My team mates were
    further back but, as it turns out, finding things a little easy since
    the front was having all the trouble in the corners. Slowly but surely
    they all picked me up and dropped me. About three laps from the finish
    I found myself off the lead group in a small bunch of 3-4, so we helped
    each other out to keep going (no chance of catching the leaders by this
    stage). There was a much bigger bloke in our bunch who was, thankfully,
    pushing a lot of air, so I slipped in behind him for the most of the
    last few laps (I'm very slight and more likely to get blown off the road
    with the slightest of breeze). I found myself behind someone else who
    was spent as we came into the back straight and we all sucked wheel to
    the home stretch. Put on the juice in the final 100m and managed a
    respectable finish (not last at least). Absolutely spent and happy it
    was over, I hung around to see our team captain sitting on a break-away
    in C-grade for most of the next race. He's a gun, but had just ridden
    with the novice grade to offer support and was slingshot off the lead
    pack with two laps to go. Still ended with a top 10-15 finish which was
    fantastic.

    Was good to warm down by riding the 15 k's home but had to tool up and
    get ready for training this morning with a 4:50 am alarm to wake me.
    Spent the training session with one of the slower bunches and don't feel
    too bad this morning at all!

    Hints for next week welcome!

    --
    Bean

    "I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  2. Well done Bean!!!

    I am hardly a font of crit wisdom - but re: "the rubber-band effect" of
    having to brake and then accelerate through corners - I read somewhere
    that you know you are too far back in the bunch if you have to brake
    through the corners.

    I've used that as a rough rule of thumb, and it seems to work OK for
    me...

    Cheers,
    Abby

  3. Absent Husband said:

    Well done Bean!!!

    I am hardly a font of crit wisdom - but re: "the rubber-band effect" of
    having to brake and then accelerate through corners - I read somewhere
    that you know you are too far back in the bunch if you have to brake
    through the corners.

    I've used that as a rough rule of thumb, and it seems to work OK for
    me...

    Cheers,
    Abby

    I thought that would be the case too Abby, but it seemed we were so
    disorganised that this was happening not too far from the front. Point
    taken though. If I had the oomph I should have pulled closer to the
    front when I had the chance. The rubber band effect probably
    disappeared from right at the front of the bunch after a few corners.
    Next time maybe!

    --
    Bean

    "I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  4. Bean Long said:

    Well it's all a blur really but here's how I think it went:

    It was my first official crit so I wasn't all that eager to jump in at
    the deep end. Nonetheless, I started in D-grade, one row back about
    four or five out from the kerb. As soon as I took off I could feel my
    mouth go crispy dry and my legs felt heavy and sore. Adrenalin I
    guess!?

    Possibly. I generally find I have an elevated HR at the start of a
    race, your symptoms may vary.

    Quoted message said:

    Took a while to wind up and there was very little organisation
    in the pack coming into the first couple of corners. As a result I
    found myself breaking hard into most of the corners and surging to stay
    on the wheel in front. Not what I wanted but the pack was too
    disorderly to change things without spending too much energy.

    The joys of early season D grade races. It'll get smoother, you may
    even find it's best to be on the front at the sharp corners if it's too
    messy behind. I don't know the course you're racing on so can't make
    much more than a general suggestion though. Can you pop it on bikely
    and show us the course?

    It's *sometimes* ok to let a gap open a bit before a corner to let you
    ride smoothly through it rather than have to brake and accelerate, in
    particular if the wheel in front is slowing more than you think they
    need, if you can avoid having to surge it will save your energy.

    Quoted message said:

    After a
    few laps of this I was starting to feel the pinch. My team mates were
    further back but, as it turns out, finding things a little easy since
    the front was having all the trouble in the corners. Slowly but surely
    they all picked me up and dropped me. About three laps from the finish
    I found myself off the lead group in a small bunch of 3-4, so we helped
    each other out to keep going (no chance of catching the leaders by this
    stage). There was a much bigger bloke in our bunch who was, thankfully,
    pushing a lot of air, so I slipped in behind him for the most of the
    last few laps (I'm very slight and more likely to get blown off the road
    with the slightest of breeze). I found myself behind someone else who
    was spent as we came into the back straight and we all sucked wheel to
    the home stretch. Put on the juice in the final 100m and managed a
    respectable finish (not last at least). Absolutely spent and happy it
    was over, I hung around to see our team captain sitting on a break-away
    in C-grade for most of the next race. He's a gun, but had just ridden
    with the novice grade to offer support and was slingshot off the lead
    pack with two laps to go. Still ended with a top 10-15 finish which was
    fantastic.

    I don't understand, your team captain (D grade? formal team riding?)
    jumped into a C grade break? I assume he wasn't actually racing then?
    It's (or at least it *SHOULD* be!) illegal to use another grade to your
    advantage and if he was racing D grade, then the commissaires should
    have DQ'd him if he was sucking a C grade bunch.

    Quoted message said:

    Was good to warm down by riding the 15 k's home but had to tool up and
    get ready for training this morning with a 4:50 am alarm to wake me.
    Spent the training session with one of the slower bunches and don't feel
    too bad this morning at all!

    After a hard ride, recovery ... 🙂

    Well done for giving it a go.

  5. Absent Husband said:


    Well done Bean!!!

    I am hardly a font of crit wisdom - but re: "the rubber-band effect" of
    having to brake and then accelerate through corners - I read somewhere
    that you know you are too far back in the bunch if you have to brake
    through the corners.


    <snip>
    Or you're sitting behind one of the HIT girls at Murarrie.

    Tam

  6. Bleve said:

    I don't know the course you're racing on so can't make
    much more than a general suggestion though. Can you pop it on bikely
    and show us the course?

    Already done by my team captain:

    http://tinyurl.com/y6ha77

    He's drawn it to the map rather than satellite image, so the western
    straight should be on the road a little further west (the one that looks
    like it's gravel!). That's a gentle incline which doesn't seem so
    gentle by the time you've done a few laps at speed. It's left hand
    turns (anti-clockwise) and the road is old and a bit rough in patches.

    The teams can be across grades, hence him riding in C, others spread
    over different grades. Sheesh... if he was so slow in D that he ended
    up catching a passing C-grade bunch, he shouldn't be captain, let alone
    still on the course! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    It's *sometimes* ok to let a gap open a bit before a corner to let you
    ride smoothly through it rather than have to brake and accelerate, in
    particular if the wheel in front is slowing more than you think they
    need, if you can avoid having to surge it will save your energy.

    I'll have to work on my pack position to minimise surging me thinks. It
    was interesting that, despite the fact that I blew early from an obvious
    lack of fitness, my mates in the race sat back and were able to slowly
    creep through the bunch and pass me (I was spent far too early). They
    said they didn't need to surge much as the back of the pack were a
    little more spread in the corners (not as much argy-bargy going on).
    All a learning experience.

    Quoted message said:

    After a hard ride, recovery ... 🙂

    Well done for giving it a go.

    Same time next week (if both the spirit and flesh are willing).

    --
    Bean

    "I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  7. Bean Long said:
    Bleve said:

    I don't know the course you're racing on so can't make
    much more than a general suggestion though. Can you pop it on bikely
    and show us the course?

    Already done by my team captain:

    http://tinyurl.com/y6ha77

    short course, 4 x 90 degree turns. I'd expect you could do them pretty
    quickly, if the surface is good and you can use all the road?

    Quoted message said:


    He's drawn it to the map rather than satellite image, so the western
    straight should be on the road a little further west (the one that looks
    like it's gravel!). That's a gentle incline which doesn't seem so
    gentle by the time you've done a few laps at speed. It's left hand
    turns (anti-clockwise) and the road is old and a bit rough in patches.

    The teams can be across grades, hence him riding in C, others spread
    over different grades. Sheesh... if he was so slow in D that he ended
    up catching a passing C-grade bunch, he shouldn't be captain, let alone
    still on the course! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    It's *sometimes* ok to let a gap open a bit before a corner to let you
    ride smoothly through it rather than have to brake and accelerate, in
    particular if the wheel in front is slowing more than you think they
    need, if you can avoid having to surge it will save your energy.

    I'll have to work on my pack position to minimise surging me thinks. It
    was interesting that, despite the fact that I blew early from an obvious
    lack of fitness, my mates in the race sat back and were able to slowly
    creep through the bunch and pass me (I was spent far too early). They
    said they didn't need to surge much as the back of the pack were a
    little more spread in the corners (not as much argy-bargy going on).
    All a learning experience.

    Quoted message said:

    After a hard ride, recovery ... 🙂

    Well done for giving it a go.

    Same time next week (if both the spirit and flesh are willing).

    You'll get faster and your bunch skills will improve *if* you pay
    attention and learn from what happens. By the sounds of it, you'll be
    just fine.

  8. Bleve said:

    You'll get faster and your bunch skills will improve *if* you pay
    attention and learn from what happens. By the sounds of it, you'll be
    just fine.

    Thanks for the pointers Bleve. I certainly hope to improve.

    --
    Bean

    "I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.