Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: Desert Man on the Meadow

Started by Ride-A-Lot · · Last activity · 6 posts · 757 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
1 August 2005
Last activity
2 August 2005
Original author
Ride-A-Lot
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
757
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [In-line version at: http://tinyurl.com/b65vd]

    If this is a double post, I apologize. Giganews was had some gas.

    Every now and then a hidden gem is just waiting to be found, Such is
    the case on today's ride. Gary (GeeDub) was in Colorado and drove the
    four hours from his local to meet me for a ride in Vail. Now there's
    someone who likes to ride! He arrives at the hotel about 10 AM and I
    give him two choices for rides. I don't have time to do Two Elk again,
    so I suggest Cougar Ridge or Meadow Mountain. I have never done either
    of these but had always thought Meadow Mountain was a sissy ride. It's
    just never described well.

    He chooses Meadow Mountain and we head off down the paved bike path to
    Minturn (about four miles). At the park, we find the trail head and
    begin our climb on the double track through the meadows.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2619.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2621.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2622.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2623.jpg

    Looks are deciving with this trail. It down't look like much from the
    road, but once you climb over the initial hill there's a lot more
    climbing. At least there are some great views.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2624.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2625.jpg

    As you climb higher (2000' in all) you ride through some great Aspen groves.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2628.jpg

    The climb continues (thank God for granny) with more views until you
    reach the Cabin at the top.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2634.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2635.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2636.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2637.jpg

    Now the moment arrives. Was the climb worth it? You bet!!! What a
    great trail. Swooping narrow single track with enough roots , ruts, and
    rocks to make it interesting. For most of the trail, the wildflowers
    are so hgh you can't even see what's around the corner no less where the
    trail is. The amazing thing is it is all downhill while twisting
    through fields , pine groves, and my favorite, Aspen Groves.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2639.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2640.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2641.jpg

    The switchbacks sneak up on you so fast it is easy to miss them, as Gary
    found out. He wan't the only one, though. Many smashed plant life
    showed signs of the failed forrays.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2642.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2643.jpg

    I didn't get many pics of the twisting tree lined singletrack because
    it was just too much fun to stop. Towards the bottom there is a great
    bombing run to the finish through fields. It then drops down a steep
    waterbar laiden decent back to the road.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2644.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2645.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2646.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2647.jpg

    That'll teach me to pre-judge trails. This one is a keeper!

    We made a wrong turn at the end and had to endur a 1.5 mile, 70 MPH
    truck filled route 70 back to the Vail bike path. But it was a great 20
    mile day!

    Thanks Gary for waking up at the crack of dawn to ride with me.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  2. Ride-A-Lot said:

    [In-line version at: http://tinyurl.com/b65vd]

    If this is a double post, I apologize. Giganews was had some gas.

    Every now and then a hidden gem is just waiting to be found, Such is
    the case on today's ride. Gary (GeeDub) was in Colorado and drove the
    four hours from his local to meet me for a ride in Vail. Now there's
    someone who likes to ride! He arrives at the hotel about 10 AM and I
    give him two choices for rides. I don't have time to do Two Elk again,
    so I suggest Cougar Ridge or Meadow Mountain. I have never done either
    of these but had always thought Meadow Mountain was a sissy ride. It's
    just never described well.


    <snip>

    Excellent. Discovering a fun new trail is always exciting. Nothing like
    the giddy feeling of new love, eh?

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks Gary for waking up at the crack of dawn to ride with me.

    He's crazy like that, isn't he? He got up well before the crack of dawn
    to just chat with me in a parking lot and then go ride by himself a
    couple of weeks ago!

    Matt

  3. "Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchel[nospam]"@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [In-line version at: http://tinyurl.com/b65vd]

    If this is a double post, I apologize. Giganews was had some gas.

    Every now and then a hidden gem is just waiting to be found, Such is
    the case on today's ride. Gary (GeeDub) was in Colorado and drove the
    four hours from his local to meet me for a ride in Vail. Now there's
    someone who likes to ride! He arrives at the hotel about 10 AM and I
    give him two choices for rides. I don't have time to do Two Elk again,
    so I suggest Cougar Ridge or Meadow Mountain. I have never done either
    of these but had always thought Meadow Mountain was a sissy ride. It's
    just never described well.

    He chooses Meadow Mountain and we head off down the paved bike path to
    Minturn (about four miles). At the park, we find the trail head and
    begin our climb on the double track through the meadows.

    Now the moment arrives. Was the climb worth it? You bet!!! What a
    great trail. Swooping narrow single track with enough roots , ruts, and
    rocks to make it interesting. For most of the trail, the wildflowers
    are so hgh you can't even see what's around the corner no less where the
    trail is. The amazing thing is it is all downhill while twisting
    through fields , pine groves, and my favorite, Aspen Groves.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2639.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2640.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/IMG_2641.jpg

    Sweet.

    Greg

  4. MattB said:
    Ride-A-Lot said:

    Thanks Gary for waking up at the crack of dawn to ride with me.

    He's crazy like that, isn't he? He got up well before the crack of dawn
    to just chat with me in a parking lot and then go ride by himself a
    couple of weeks ago!

    It's the coffee of a confirmed coffee snob. Good stuff, Mitch.

    JD

  5. He is a traveling man oh yes he is.

  6. Ride-A-Lot" <"mitchel[nospam] wrote:
    snip good stuff

    Quoted message said:

    That'll teach me to pre-judge trails. This one is a keeper!

    We made a wrong turn at the end and had to endur a 1.5 mile, 70 MPH
    truck filled route 70 back to the Vail bike path. But it was a great
    20 mile day!

    Thanks Gary for waking up at the crack of dawn to ride with me.

    Anytime. You managed to get way more photos than I did. I haven't had a
    chance to dl them to the pc yet, I've only been back in Phoenix for a little
    over an hour. Woke up at 2:30 a.m. and decided to hit the road before it
    got too hot here.

    I still think we should have ridden up the st for an out and back type of
    ride. <(;-}

    Can't wait until Ideehoooooooooooo.

    Now I have to catch a wink or two before tonights ride.

    Gary

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.