Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: Foggy Ride.

Started by Bill Wheeler · · Last activity · 8 posts · 427 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
30 October 2004
Last activity
2 November 2004
Original author
Bill Wheeler
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
427
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sat. 10/30/2004. It was supposed to be Sunny and 70....whatever.

    Last night it was foggy/misty the entire night. I made plans to hit
    the trails early 7:30 am. It's just light enough then so you don't
    need any lights. The fog svcked. Even though I new the most
    dangerous part of my ride would be from my house to the trail head, I
    still knew the trails would be difficult due to all the wet leaves. At
    least there would be no major mud to deal with.

    As expected two knuckle heads buzzed me on the way to the trails head,
    can't really blame them because of the thick fog.

    I was supposed to hook up with another rider on the UMBC side, I start
    on the Landing Road side (for you locals who know what I'm talking
    about). It was slow going, I just took it easy on the way down
    following the Cascade Trail. A little dab did me just fine here and
    there.

    I made it to the UMBC side just after 8:00. I was happy to see that
    my buddy brought his SS. It was his first time out in Patapsco on the
    SS. He was in for an eye-opener to say the least. This guy can smoke
    me on the road, but when it comes to the SS and the trails I got his
    number.

    He calls his SS the dumpster bike. (Frame from the dumpster) Canties
    on the front and rear, but all in all when it comes to SSing simpler
    is better. Actually that's the whole point of SSing.

    The fog never lifted, at least it was warm somewhere around 60-65 F.
    I ended up popping 2 spokes on routine fall. (yes falling is routine,
    more people should learn that skill) ;-) Thank goodness for discs.

    The spokes were right next to each other one on either side of the
    hub. The wheel was about 1/4 out of true. Did I say thank goodness
    for disc? I lost absolutely no loss of braking power and I was able
    to continue without further incident. Now I just need to do a
    semi-rebuild.

    I was riding my 18t so the going was very easy for me. My buddy on
    the other hand was running a 16t which made life a little difficult
    for the conditions.

    We ended up riding for 3 hours, that's riding, not
    ride-stop-ride-stop-ride [censored] that you see people do.

    Stoked and ready for whatever the rest of the day brings!

    Peace,
    Bill

  2. Bill Wheeler said:

    Sat. 10/30/2004. It was supposed to be Sunny and 70....whatever.

    Last night it was foggy/misty the entire night. I made plans to hit
    the trails early 7:30 am. It's just light enough then so you don't
    need any lights. The fog svcked. Even though I new the most
    dangerous part of my ride would be from my house to the trail head, I
    still knew the trails would be difficult due to all the wet leaves. At
    least there would be no major mud to deal with.

    As expected two knuckle heads buzzed me on the way to the trails head,
    can't really blame them because of the thick fog.

    I was supposed to hook up with another rider on the UMBC side, I start
    on the Landing Road side (for you locals who know what I'm talking
    about). It was slow going, I just took it easy on the way down
    following the Cascade Trail. A little dab did me just fine here and
    there.

    I made it to the UMBC side just after 8:00. I was happy to see that
    my buddy brought his SS. It was his first time out in Patapsco on the
    SS. He was in for an eye-opener to say the least. This guy can smoke
    me on the road, but when it comes to the SS and the trails I got his
    number.

    He calls his SS the dumpster bike. (Frame from the dumpster) Canties
    on the front and rear, but all in all when it comes to SSing simpler
    is better. Actually that's the whole point of SSing.

    The fog never lifted, at least it was warm somewhere around 60-65 F.
    I ended up popping 2 spokes on routine fall. (yes falling is routine,
    more people should learn that skill) ;-) Thank goodness for discs.

    The spokes were right next to each other one on either side of the
    hub. The wheel was about 1/4 out of true. Did I say thank goodness
    for disc? I lost absolutely no loss of braking power and I was able
    to continue without further incident. Now I just need to do a
    semi-rebuild.

    I was riding my 18t so the going was very easy for me. My buddy on
    the other hand was running a 16t which made life a little difficult
    for the conditions.

    We ended up riding for 3 hours, that's riding, not
    ride-stop-ride-stop-ride [censored] that you see people do.

    Stoked and ready for whatever the rest of the day brings!

    Nice,

    Bill "it had to be done" S.

  3. B i l l S o r n s o n said:
    Bill Wheeler said:

    Sat. 10/30/2004. It was supposed to be Sunny and 70....whatever.

    Last night it was foggy/misty the entire night. I made plans to hit
    the trails early 7:30 am. It's just light enough then so you don't
    need any lights. The fog svcked. Even though I new the most
    dangerous part of my ride would be from my house to the trail head, I
    still knew the trails would be difficult due to all the wet leaves. At
    least there would be no major mud to deal with.

    As expected two knuckle heads buzzed me on the way to the trails head,
    can't really blame them because of the thick fog.

    I was supposed to hook up with another rider on the UMBC side, I start
    on the Landing Road side (for you locals who know what I'm talking
    about). It was slow going, I just took it easy on the way down
    following the Cascade Trail. A little dab did me just fine here and
    there.

    I made it to the UMBC side just after 8:00. I was happy to see that
    my buddy brought his SS. It was his first time out in Patapsco on the
    SS. He was in for an eye-opener to say the least. This guy can smoke
    me on the road, but when it comes to the SS and the trails I got his
    number.

    He calls his SS the dumpster bike. (Frame from the dumpster) Canties
    on the front and rear, but all in all when it comes to SSing simpler
    is better. Actually that's the whole point of SSing.

    The fog never lifted, at least it was warm somewhere around 60-65 F.
    I ended up popping 2 spokes on routine fall. (yes falling is routine,
    more people should learn that skill) ;-) Thank goodness for discs.

    The spokes were right next to each other one on either side of the
    hub. The wheel was about 1/4 out of true. Did I say thank goodness
    for disc? I lost absolutely no loss of braking power and I was able
    to continue without further incident. Now I just need to do a
    semi-rebuild.

    I was riding my 18t so the going was very easy for me. My buddy on
    the other hand was running a 16t which made life a little difficult
    for the conditions.

    We ended up riding for 3 hours, that's riding, not
    ride-stop-ride-stop-ride [censored] that you see people do.

    Stoked and ready for whatever the rest of the day brings!

    Nice,

    Bill "it had to be done" S.

    Another foggy ride photos:
    http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/Oktobrskaskupna2004

  4. FeltnA said:

    Another foggy ride photos:
    http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/Oktobrskaskupna2004

    Looks like fun.

    Bill "so is snipping" S.

  5. Bill Wheeler said:

    Sat. 10/30/2004. It was supposed to be Sunny and 70....whatever.

    Last night it was foggy/misty the entire night. I made plans to hit
    the trails early 7:30 am. It's just light enough then so you don't
    need any lights. The fog svcked. Even though I new the most
    dangerous part of my ride would be from my house to the trail head, I
    still knew the trails would be difficult due to all the wet leaves. At
    least there would be no major mud to deal with.

    Stoked and ready for whatever the rest of the day brings!

    Peace,
    Bill

    Coupla singlespeeders out tearing it up. Pretty good stuff.

    paladin

  6. On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:37:44 GMT, "B i l l S o r n s o n" Formerly
    from Maryland
    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Nice,

    Bill "it had to be done" S.

    sawright,
    bill

    BTW what's with the "F a g e l i n" style of writing your name?

  7. Bill W asks Bill S:

    Quoted message said:

    BTW what's with the "F a g e l i n" style of writing your name?

    'Sallright, Bill, Sorni's just a bit spaced out at the moment. ;-)

    Steve "keepin' it together" B

  8. Stephen Baker said:

    Bill W asks Bill S:

    Quoted message said:

    BTW what's with the "F a g e l i n" style of writing your name?

    'Sallright, Bill, Sorni's just a bit spaced out at the moment. ;-)

    Steve "keepin' it together" B

    Ah, I'd missed the question. Months ago someone hijacked my account (I
    think), so I tried a few versions of User Names to thwart the fiend. (I
    started having server problems around same time; prolly just a paranoid
    coincidence.)

    Bill " s p a c e d i n d e e d " S.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.