[font=Verdana]My first race tonight, left work early to make sure I arrived with plenty of time to spare. Did a few easy laps of the course, didn’t really need a warm up as I’d riden in from [/font][font=Verdana]Gladdy[/font][font=Verdana] [/font][font=Verdana]Park[/font][font=Verdana].[/font]
[font=Verdana]Handed in my HCC membership form, and handed over $30 bucks ($25 for HCC and $5 for the race entry). Told its 25min + 3 laps (used to be 30min), so happy with that. 🙂 [/font][font=Verdana][font=Verdana] My only plan for this race, was not to get dropped.[/font][/font]
[font=Verdana]Pace starts off nice and easy, I’m content just to sit on the back and basically get a feel for it. Decided to move up a bit just to keep in touch with the leaders. C grade lapped us coming over the line, actually got quite messy as the leading D graders failed to move to the left, much yelling and cursing. [/font]
[font=Verdana]Started to feel the pinch around the 18min mark, but with just 7 mins and 3 laps to go, I was now confident I wouldn’t get dropped. [/font]
[font=Arial][font=Verdana]Heard the 3 laps to go, thought I better start thinking of moving up the field, 2 laps to go people getting a bit twitchy, its now or never. [/font][/font]
[font=Verdana][font=Arial][font=Verdana]Heard the bell for the last lap,[/font] [font=Verdana]so I gunned it, turning it into a 1km time trial, an all or nothing move (stupid really!), but I figured I'll try and do a 1 man breakaway, ended up getting a decent jump off the line, and managed to lead until just after the hairpin. [/font][/font]No idea what sort of gap I opened up, it was just a case of head down, bum up. Didn’t take the hairpin well, mainly due to fatigue. I could sense them coming just before the turn, searched for that final burst up the hill, but had nothing. Ended up with about 8th place.[/font]
[font=Arial][font=Verdana] [/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Verdana]Race stats approx 30:25, av speed 34.1 Max 53.8 (last lap)[/font][/font]
[font=Verdana] [/font]
Lessons
Try to get a wheel, coming around the sweeper, and hold it, spent to much time riding in the wind.
I was actually expecting the pace to kick up on the last lap, and my attempt to get up near the front turned into, bugger it lets go for it, and leave nothing in the tank, but a lesson learnt…maybe 😄
More practice on that corner.
[font=Verdana]P.S. Thanks for the encouragement BR guys, on the hairpin and finish line [/font]