RR: Kew Crits 7Aug05 C-Grade

GPLama

Guest
Locking myself out of the house/shed was not a good start - especially when
I needed to use the floor pump to make sure I was running some decent
pressure... Off to the crits I roll. My gf was going to be there taking
pics today so no house keys was not much of a problem.

Rolling around the circuit - I was the first one there at 8:30am. Attempted
to get more air in the front with my carbon-pump-o-fun, no luck.. arh well,
I guess I'll have good for grip on the hairpin. Rolling around I found
another C grader, I didn't catch his name but we talked about best places to
attack and at what points we may want to start driving something off the
front.

Race underway, I spent the first lap on the front looking around wondering
what everyone was doing. Were they here to race or for the scenery? Lap 3
things picked up. Two younger guys drove a lap hard off the front and got
nowhere. Few more laps roll by, with me on the front. This wasn't even a
warm up, so I jumped out of the seat and gave it a little more gas. Pulling
20-30m on the bunch, I sat up on the hill waiting for them to catch me. A
solo breakaway that early would not last. As we reach the top the guy I was
talking to pre-race comes past and says "lets go".. we take off for two laps
at a decent rate. We didn't manage to drop the bunch, but we broke it in
two. I roll past him again and we both have the same thoughts "yeah, well,
that didn't work, but we dropped a few".. his reply "yeah, one of them was a
sprinter, so I'm happy with that!".. heh..

No intermediate sprint for C grade today, so I didn't have the safety net of
taking that to reclaim my money, all down to the last few laps to earn that
back! Rolling around and around - mostly on the front. Got sick of doing
all the work so decided to take the LONG way on each corner - wheel suckers
only today - everyone else snaked their way behind me. Then out pops Jono
Lovelock for his turn on the front - we swap turns. He comments, "none of
them want to do any work".. to which I reply 1/2 a lap later "yeah, so I
noticed, make them pay for it on the final sprint".. I didn't know at the
time, but Jono had a hard days racing yesterday at Broadford... more laps,
more laps. I turn around at one stage (still on the front) and see only 5-6
guys left in the bunch. I sit up and ask "this all that's left?" as they
roll past. I get a conformation and I take off managing to be on the front
yet again. If this race had points, I'd be wearing green by now!

3 laps to go - Time for a drink and to dump the extra drink I was carrying.
2 laps to go, still up the front either 1st or 2nd wheel.. Waiting for the
surge. 1 lap to go!! My pre-race mate takes off like a rocket over the
line. I chase but he has pulled 20-30m - we catch him as he coasts(!) on
the downhill.. Another guy who I hadn't seen all race gets into the mix. I
try hold his wheel on the flat but I need to save myself for after final
hairpin. Three guys ahead of me at the hairpin - no idea about the others
behind. Taking the corner quicker this time one guy overcooked it and ends
up in the gutter/rough, his sprint was over before it began. Not knowing
the sprinting legs of the other two, I start winding up for something big.
On the last bend they both appear to be going backwards - I come past and
take the win by about two bike lengths (yes, I have photo proof!). w00t!

Lama Pics:

http://tinyurl.com/9l686 - Up the front early
http://tinyurl.com/dbca4 - Help as arrived!
http://tinyurl.com/au4cq - Cheers for the time-check (5mins to go)
http://tinyurl.com/78pgq - More work on the front..
http://tinyurl.com/dxe7g - Still winding up!

cheers,
GPL

On 2005-08-07, GPLama (aka Bruce)
> Locking myself out of the house/shed was not a good start - especially when
> I needed to use the floor pump to make sure I was running some decent
> pressure... Off to the crits I roll. My gf was going to be there taking
> pics today so no house keys was not much of a problem.

He he. A geek cyclist with a cute gf. I was almost thinking she must
have been your sister or something :p

> only today - everyone else snaked their way behind me. Then out pops Jono
> Lovelock for his turn on the front - we swap turns. He comments, "none of
> them want to do any work".. to which I reply 1/2 a lap later "yeah, so I
> noticed, make them pay for it on the final sprint".. I didn't know at the

I heard the former comment loud and clear on the finish line. Very
unsubtle of you -- "lets break those poor suckers behind us, make it
look like we are doing it easy here. Oh, we are doing it easy". :)

You very cooly asked "how much longer?" a lap or so later.

--
TimC
So y'know, when the girl octopus slaps the boy octopus for being too

"BrettS" wrote in message ...
> GPLama wrote:
> < Nice story about winning.>
>
>> Lama Pics:

> In the small ring! Not really working too hard!?

On the other bike I could get away with running around in the large ring
(12-25 on the back), but this bike seems better in the small ring (11-23 on
the back)... If the course was flat, then it'd be big rings all around...

cheers,
GPL

Hmm... let's see:
- first laps on the front
- few laps more and on the front, make a break
- swapping turns first and second wheel
- win the sprint easily

Absolutely dominating performance - well done! :D

Next week you shouldn't race in C grade. B 4 U!

Ritch

ritcho said:
Absolutely dominating performance - well done! :D

Next week you shouldn't race in C grade. B 4 U!

Ritch

yeeeessss. its about time you stopped turning up and riding off with cash, dabnabbit! i dont think you've ridden without placing yet have you? (skinny ***** :D)

"Blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "GPLama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > take the win by about two bike lengths (yes, I have photo proof!). w00t!

> Yes, woot! indeed! Well done, skinny *******! Good stuff.

I have been away a fair bit with work of late and have managed two rides to
and from work in the last three weeks. Reading the race reports from Kew is
giving me itchy feet again......more so as I picked up my frame from Cecil
Walker on Friday that had the top tube replaced and the whole frame
resprayed (Midnight blue and it looks the goods - pics soon).

All I have to do now is build it back up with the Campag 9 spd that came
with the bike and then I am keen as mustard to get back into some racing.
Who knows, I might even get to spend enough time at home to get some decent
riding in.

Ride On,

Gags

Gags said:
I have been away a fair bit with work of late and have managed two rides to
and from work in the last three weeks. Reading the race reports from Kew is
giving me itchy feet again......more so as I picked up my frame from Cecil
Walker on Friday that had the top tube replaced and the whole frame
resprayed (Midnight blue and it looks the goods - pics soon).

All I have to do now is build it back up with the Campag 9 spd that came
with the bike and then I am keen as mustard to get back into some racing.
Who knows, I might even get to spend enough time at home to get some decent
riding in.

Ride On,

Gags

right on cue :D my 'windbreaker' returns :D:D

TimC wrote:
> On 2005-08-07, GPLama (aka Bruce)
>
>>Locking myself out of the house/shed was not a good start - especially when
>>I needed to use the floor pump to make sure I was running some decent
>>pressure... Off to the crits I roll. My gf was going to be there taking
>>pics today so no house keys was not much of a problem.

> He he. A geek cyclist with a cute gf.

Oyyy. I,m a geek. And I have a cute gf

I was almost thinking she must
> have been your sister or something :p
>

>>only today - everyone else snaked their way behind me. Then out pops Jono
>>Lovelock for his turn on the front - we swap turns. He comments, "none of
>>them want to do any work".. to which I reply 1/2 a lap later "yeah, so I
>>noticed, make them pay for it on the final sprint".. I didn't know at the

> I heard the former comment loud and clear on the finish line. Very
> unsubtle of you -- "lets break those poor suckers behind us, make it
> look like we are doing it easy here. Oh, we are doing it easy". :)
>
> You very cooly asked "how much longer?" a lap or so later.

Important to look like you aint hurting at such times.. Race face..
think race face ;)

dave said:
Important to look like you aint hurting at such times.. Race face..
think race face ;)

oh, another thing to learn.
I have been woring on my 'wounded lobster' face for such occassions.
I asked the commissaire at the 31 minute mark...
"3 laps to go?".
"last lap Dgrade was the reply"
bastards...
if i had known i woulda made a miraculous bridging of gap and gone off the front for solo win
:rolleyes:

"wake up, Dutch. It's all a dream..."