I'm splitting this into five parts with some video by the
weekend (hopefully).
This ride report includes an equipment report and a tour
company report. It 's long, but it's detailed.
I signed up for the Kokopelli's Trail tour back at the end
of 2003. My goal was to get into shape to handle the bug
climbs and long distances. The tour company I chose was
Escape Adventures and as you'll read, it was a great choice.
I really had no idea what to expect other than 28 - 38 mile
days with what was described as an Intermediate/Advanced
tour. I knew I could probably handle the technical downhill
and distance, but I had no idea what would happen with the
long climbs and technical uphills. I figured I could always
hike-a-bike the stuff over my head and sag-wagon it on the
steeps. I did hike-a-bike a few times, but never set foot in
the wagon because of a
climb. Before I get to the daily grind, a word about Escape
Adventures. I chose them on the recommendation of
another club (JAR) rider. Mark and Pete were the
guides for this trip. I have to say they are the
most professional, intelligent, understanding,
personable, adventure nuts I have ever met. Not too
mention, they also cook up some great food. They
always made me feel very comfortable and were
driving force in getting me to continue when I felt
like giving up. They knew I could do it when I
doubted my ability. Escape actually ran this tour
for me and a fifty-something couple (Evan and Sandy)
from Indiana. This was good and bad. Good because
the guides were able to give us all personal
attention. Bad because they were much better riders
(and fit) than me, which often left me trying to
catch up. I also rented an Ellsworth Id from Escape.
I think I have fallen in love with this bike! It's
amazing what six inches of travel can do. Yes, it
was the bike going over the drops and step-ups. This
bike is on my final list for purchase this summer.
Aside from this being the longest and most technical ride I
ever did, it was also my first time camping (unless a sleazy
motel-6 is roughing it). I figured this was an easy way to
be introduced to "roughing it" since they took care of the
campsite and cooked all the meals. It was cool, and I now
have my own gear to venture out this summer.
The Kokopelli trail starts in Fruita, Colorado and continues
for 142 miles of climbs and descents until it reaches the
end in Moab, Utah after riding along the La Salle mountain
range. I stayed the day before the tour in Grand Junction,
CO to get acclimated to the altitude. GJ is a wonderful
quant town with a very impressive renewed downtown. I
recommend a visit.
Day 1 (5/3/04)
The van picks us up in Grand Junction as we're off to Fruita
where we are prepped to what's ahead.
pchospital.netimOpen ↗
g_0906.jpg
I'm already nervous as I look at the surroundings and say to
myself, "Mitchell, we're not in Jersey anymore".
pchospital.netimgOpen ↗
_0909.jpg pchospital.netkokOpen ↗
opelli/img_0910.jpg
I may get the order of this wrong, so don't fault me. I
think we started out on Mary's Loop where after 10 minutes
of riding, I draw first blood.
pchospital.netimOpen ↗
g_0912.jpg
You'll see what happened in the video. Simply put, I tried
to do a step up of maybe one foot and failed.
We then drop down onto Steve's loop with some very
interesting technical sections.
pchospital.netimgOpen ↗
_0913.jpg pchospital.netkokOpen ↗
opelli/img_0914.jpg pchospital.netpaOpen ↗
photos/kokopelli/img_0915.jpg
We had to climb up some steep rock sections to get to the
jeep road into Rabbit Valley which would be our first
campsite. Obvious hike-a-bike here!
pchospital.netimgOpen ↗
_0918.jpg pchospital.netkokOpen ↗
opelli/img_0919.jpg pchospital.netpaOpen ↗
photos/kokopelli/img_0920.jpg
So, we came from the other side of this mountain: ww-ww-Open ↗
w.pchospital.net/photoalbum/paphotos/kokopelli/img_0921.jpg\
and descended in to Rabbit Valley for the night.
pchospital.netimgOpen ↗
_0924.jpg pchospital.netkokOpen ↗
opelli/img_0937.jpg pchospital.netpaOpen ↗
photos/kokopelli/img_0941.jpg
Some great stuffed shells for dinner and I was so beat, I
fell asleep instantly. Although it was only twenty miles,
it was the hardest and most rewarding 20 miles I had ever
attempted. By the end of the day I had finally gotten the
knack of how to use the cushy suspension on the ID to get
up and down the drops. It was so much fun and this was
only day one!
Continued..
--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws