Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: North Yorks Polaris (long)

Started by Huw Pritchard · · Last activity · 14 posts · 755 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
16 July 2003
Last activity
22 July 2003
Original author
Huw Pritchard
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
755
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, after coming last in the Isle of Man over Easter, it would have been a shame not to have
    entered another Polaris, so myself and AMB's own Andy Chequer entered another one, this time in the
    North York Moors. The hills are less intimidating than the Manx ones, but there's more of them.
    Chequer's car wasn't too well, so transport was on my shoulders, or rather my parents, as my car is
    also not well. I headed East on the two hour drive to Bristol, taking remarkably few attempts to
    find my teammate's house.

    Having loaded Chequer's kit, and stopping off in a nearby Halfords for a new helmet for me (to
    replace the one sitting some 80 miles West of me at that precise moment) we headed North. The
    journey was fairly uneventful, apart from the first navigational cockup of the weekend. Chequer
    managed to lose the M1. [censored]. We've not even got the bikes out of the back of the car yet, and
    we're lost.

    Anyway, about midnight-ish and we pulled onto the campsite, setup the tent and cracked open the
    beer. Sleep was soon to follow, with myself and Chequer both waking each other up with loud snoring
    and the usual whinge of "How come I never wake up with a beautiful woman, only with you?" in the
    morning. Registering found many people approaching us saying "Hey, aren't you the guys who came last
    in Spring?". Wow. Fame.

    Heading from the start, the first checkpoint was a nice easy one. 10 points in the bag and then a
    climb. No, this is far too early in the morning. What the hell is this hill doing here? Still, there
    was a checkpoint at the end of the climb, a flattish bimble across the head of the valley and then a
    sharp plummet to the next checkpoint, the other side of a level crossing, which caused some riders
    to be held up for several minutes whilst they waited for a steam train to get out of the way.

    Several unexciting checkpoints intervened before one which tested many people, including Mr Chequer
    who managed to collapse in a muddy heap on the floor. Fair play to him, I was already shouldering my
    bike by this point. The advantage with being the navigator on an event like this is that during the
    muddy sections, you don't have to worry about not having a crud catcher on the front of your bike.
    The downside of this being that several square miles of the area is now an undecipherable brown
    smear on my map. Good job there's no checkpoints in that bit, I suppose.

    The next couple of checkpoints take us down tracks that are signed as bridleways. How this can
    possibly count as a bridleway is beyond me, given that in most places it's hardly a shoulder's width
    across. I ride on reflecting on how I'm sure that stinging nettles used to hurt far more than this
    when I were a lad. After grabbing an easy 50 point check, we sit down and discuss tactics. Probably
    for longer than was wise, but Chequer needed to have a [censored], just in case anybody got any strange
    ideas about him being fit and healthy and all that.

    We head off to another check, this time my navigation fails us and we go hammering past the start of
    the track we wanted and down a large hill. Why do I never discover my navigation errors until they
    involve a really big climb to sort the mess out? We climb back up the hill and spot someone who
    looks like he knows where he's going. We try to follow and pretty soon lose our quarry, having to
    fall back on good old navigation again. Once again, I mess up and we end up staring at a 6' high
    locked gate. Fairly bad mistake, but not quite as bad as losing the M1, I say.

    Time was getting on, and we had about 15 miles to get back to the start. It was about this point
    that I ran out of water. Damn. After a few miles I was feeling utterly [censored]. After what seemed like
    an eternity we stopped at a petrol station to buy some bottled water and carried on with the slow
    climb back up to the finish. The water didn't help much, and by the time I got to the end I felt
    like death. Once again we'd managed to lose our entire day's score by deft of our lateness.

    Sitting back at the car (whilst Chequer cooked his Bacon Bhuna) we discussed the plans for tomorrow.
    I was still feeling awful, and Binkie, the pride of Chequer's life was having serious freehub ills.
    It seemed that out of the team we had one working bike and one working rider. Still, that meant we
    could get leathered that night.

    A couple of pints of some interesting real ale, with some interesting company, and soon the band
    wandered on. The band in question were Monarchy, a Queen tribute band and the subject of much
    heckling given that they were playing in front of several hundred mountain bikers and hadn't
    bothered to learn "Bicycle Race".

    The next morning we were up with all the people who hadn't wimped out as it's somewhat hard to sleep
    on the Polaris campsite at the best of times. We withdrew from the day's riding, packed the car and
    headed on the marathon journey South again.

    Huw "Sunburned, dehydrated, but still happy" Pritchard

  2. Huw Pritchard said:

    Huw "Sunburned, dehydrated, but still happy" Pritchard

    Excellent RR - highly amusing. How do you lose the M1, BTW?

  3. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:06:42 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

    Quoted message said:

    Excellent RR - highly amusing. How do you lose the M1, BTW?

    I really don't know; I've not had much cause to go up that way before, it was all Mr Chequer's
    fault. I told him how he should know his way around, what with being a Northerner himself, but he
    just muttered something about it being a "bloody large area".

    Huw "I was just driving, I wasn't looking where I was going" Pritchard

  4. "Huw Pritchard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, after coming last in the Isle of Man over Easter, it would have been a shame not to have
    entered another Polaris, so myself and AMB's own Andy Chequer entered another one, this time in
    the North York Moors. The hills are less intimidating than the Manx ones, but there's more of
    them. Chequer's car wasn't too well, so transport was on my shoulders, or rather my parents, as my
    car is also not well. I headed East on the two hour drive to Bristol, taking remarkably few
    attempts to find my teammate's house.

    Having loaded Chequer's kit, and stopping off in a nearby Halfords for a new helmet for me (to
    replace the one sitting some 80 miles West of me at that precise moment) we headed North. The
    journey was fairly uneventful, apart from the first navigational cockup of the weekend. Chequer
    managed to lose the M1. [censored]. We've not even got the bikes out of the back of the car yet, and
    we're lost.

    Anyway, about midnight-ish and we pulled onto the campsite, setup the tent and cracked open the
    beer. Sleep was soon to follow, with myself and Chequer both waking each other up with loud
    snoring and the usual whinge of "How come I never wake up with a beautiful woman, only with you?"
    in the morning. Registering found many people approaching us saying "Hey, aren't you the guys who
    came last in Spring?". Wow. Fame.

    Heading from the start, the first checkpoint was a nice easy one. 10 points in the bag and then a
    climb. No, this is far too early in the morning. What the hell is this hill doing here? Still,
    there was a checkpoint at the end of the climb, a flattish bimble across the head of the valley
    and then a sharp plummet to the next checkpoint, the other side of a level crossing, which caused
    some riders to be held up for several minutes whilst they waited for a steam train to get out of
    the way.

    Several unexciting checkpoints intervened before one which tested many people, including Mr
    Chequer who managed to collapse in a muddy heap on the floor. Fair play to him, I was already
    shouldering my bike by this point. The advantage with being the navigator on an event like this is
    that during the muddy sections, you don't have to worry about not having a crud catcher on the
    front of your bike. The downside of this being that several square miles of the area is now an
    undecipherable brown smear on my map. Good job there's no checkpoints in that bit, I suppose.

    The next couple of checkpoints take us down tracks that are signed as bridleways. How this can
    possibly count as a bridleway is beyond me, given that in most places it's hardly a shoulder's
    width across. I ride on reflecting on how I'm sure that stinging nettles used to hurt far more
    than this when I were a lad. After grabbing an easy 50 point check, we sit down and discuss
    tactics. Probably for longer than was wise, but Chequer needed to have a [censored], just in case anybody
    got any strange ideas about him being fit and healthy and all that.

    We head off to another check, this time my navigation fails us and we go hammering past the start
    of the track we wanted and down a large hill. Why do I never discover my navigation errors until
    they involve a really big climb to sort the mess out? We climb back up the hill and spot someone
    who looks like he knows where he's going. We try to follow and pretty soon lose our quarry, having
    to fall back on good old navigation again. Once again, I mess up and we end up staring at a 6'
    high locked gate. Fairly bad mistake, but not quite as bad as losing the M1, I say.

    Time was getting on, and we had about 15 miles to get back to the start. It was about this point
    that I ran out of water. Damn. After a few miles I was feeling utterly [censored]. After what seemed
    like an eternity we stopped at a petrol station to buy some bottled water and carried on with the
    slow climb back up to the finish. The water didn't help much, and by the time I got to the end I
    felt like death. Once again we'd managed to lose our entire day's score by deft of our lateness.

    Sitting back at the car (whilst Chequer cooked his Bacon Bhuna) we discussed the plans for
    tomorrow. I was still feeling awful, and Binkie, the pride of Chequer's life was having serious
    freehub ills. It seemed that out of the team we had one working bike and one working rider. Still,
    that meant we could get leathered that night.

    A couple of pints of some interesting real ale, with some interesting company, and soon the band
    wandered on. The band in question were Monarchy, a Queen tribute band and the subject of much
    heckling given that they were playing in front of several hundred mountain bikers and hadn't
    bothered to learn "Bicycle Race".

    The next morning we were up with all the people who hadn't wimped out as it's somewhat hard to
    sleep on the Polaris campsite at the best of times. We withdrew from the day's riding, packed the
    car and headed on the marathon journey South again.

    Huw "Sunburned, dehydrated, but still happy" Pritchard

    Another great read Mr Huw, almost makes me want to have a go myself...

    Steve.

  5. Huw Pritchard <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, after coming last in the Isle of Man over Easter, it would have been a shame not to have
    entered another Polaris, so myself and AMB's own Andy Chequer entered another one, this time in
    the North York Moors. The hills are less intimidating than the Manx ones, but there's more of
    them. Chequer's car wasn't too well, so transport was on my shoulders, or rather my parents, as my
    car is also not well. I headed East on the two hour drive to Bristol, taking remarkably few
    attempts to find my teammate's house.

    <yeah, I took some words away>

    Quoted message said:

    The next morning we were up with all the people who hadn't wimped out as it's somewhat hard to
    sleep on the Polaris campsite at the best of times. We withdrew from the day's riding, packed the
    car and headed on the marathon journey South again.

    Huw "Sunburned, dehydrated, but still happy" Pritchard

    You're a pair of nuts ya know? - Thanks ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - I found the M1 for you - it's in the post.

  6. Shaun R says:

    Quoted message said:

    You're a pair of nuts ya know?

    If you think Huw's RR is a load of balls, why not just say so?

    ;-P```````

    Steve home with a tummy bug today

  7. Stephen Baker <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Shaun R says:

    Quoted message said:

    You're a pair of nuts ya know?

    If you think Huw's RR is a load of balls, why not just say so?

    I said what I meant.

    Quoted message said:

    ;-P```````

    Steve home with a tummy bug today

    If I had a gut like yours, it'd bug me too.

    ',;~P````

    Shaun aRe

  8. "Huw Pritchard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:06:42 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

    Quoted message said:

    Excellent RR - highly amusing. How do you lose the M1, BTW?

    I really don't know; I've not had much cause to go up that way before, it was all Mr Chequer's
    fault. I told him how he should know his way around, what with being a Northerner himself, but he
    just muttered something about it being a "bloody large area".

    Huw "I was just driving, I wasn't looking where I was going" Pritchard

    If we were in my car, that would never have happened. Knows where it's going, that thing. Nowhere,
    that's where.

    In answer to bomba's question, it sold us a dummy going north towards Leeds. The swine.

    Andy Chequer

  9. Andy Chequer said:
    Quoted message said:

    Another great read Mr Huw, almost makes me want to have a go myself...

    Do it. The summer one's not too taxing (unless you're Welsh) and the party's good afterwards.

    Andy Chequer, AMB Summer Polaris 2004, anyone?

    Hmm, maybe...

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: t-online.deambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  10. "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy Chequer said:
    Quoted message said:

    Another great read Mr Huw, almost makes me want to have a go myself...

    Do it. The summer one's not too taxing (unless you're Welsh) and the


    party's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    good afterwards.

    Andy Chequer, AMB Summer Polaris 2004, anyone?

    Hmm, maybe...

    This could get interesting, how many people can you have in a team?

    Steve.

  11. Andy Chequer said:


    "Huw Pritchard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:06:42 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

    Quoted message said:

    Excellent RR - highly amusing. How do you lose the M1, BTW?

    I really don't know; I've not had much cause to go up that way before, it was all Mr Chequer's
    fault. I told him how he should know his way around, what with being a Northerner himself, but
    he just muttered something about it being a "bloody large area".

    Huw "I was just driving, I wasn't looking where I was going" Pritchard

    If we were in my car, that would never have happened. Knows where it's going, that thing. Nowhere,
    that's where.

    In answer to bomba's question, it sold us a dummy going north towards Leeds. The swine.

    For local interest - If you'd looked over you left shoulder 1 mile before where you should have
    turned off (to stay on the M1) one of the houses on the top of the hill is mine.

    Phil

  12. Andy Chequer said:


    Quoted message said:

    Another great read Mr Huw, almost makes me want to have a go myself...

    Steve.

    Do it. The summer one's not too taxing (unless you're Welsh) and the party's good afterwards.

    Andy Chequer, AMB Summer Polaris 2004, anyone?

    I was tempted this year, but with Mountain Mayhem and Sleepless in the Saddle already in my diary I
    couldn't get a 'pass-out' for another biking weekend :-(

    Phil

  13. "spademan o---[) *" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy Chequer said:

    >Another great read Mr Huw, almost makes me want to have a go myself...
    >

    Do it. The summer one's not too taxing (unless you're Welsh) and the


    party's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    good afterwards.

    Andy Chequer, AMB Summer Polaris 2004, anyone?

    Hmm, maybe...

    This could get interesting, how many people can you have in a team?

    Steve.

    You can only have pairs but provided we have pairs of riders everything will be hunky dory. Oh, and
    there's a solo category for Billy no-mateses, oops sorry, hardcore masochists.

    Andy Chequer

  14. "Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "spademan o---[) *" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Andy Chequer wrote:
    >>Another great read Mr Huw, almost makes me want to have a go


    myself...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>
    >
    > Do it. The summer one's not too taxing (unless you're Welsh) and the


    party's

    Quoted message said:

    > good afterwards.
    >
    > Andy Chequer, AMB Summer Polaris 2004, anyone?

    Hmm, maybe...

    This could get interesting, how many people can you have in a team?

    Steve.

    You can only have pairs but provided we have pairs of riders everything


    will

    Quoted message said:

    be hunky dory. Oh, and there's a solo category for Billy no-mateses, oops sorry, hardcore
    masochists.

    Andy Chequer

    Thanks Andy, I'm definitely going to give it some consideration. Can you remind us all when it gets
    round to submitting entry forms etc..

    Cheers,

    Steve

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.