RR singlespeeds in the jungle

Penny S

Guest
note: for those of you (you know who you are) who want the full two week
Yucatan Peninsula/Cozumel TR or the dive reports, watch your mail.

The Mexicans certainly have a handle on bikes as transportation!! They are
everywhere, and helmetless riders every one!! The most incredible parade of
bikes I've ever seen.
I'm fascinated by triciclos: only $2250 pesos ( $195 USD) and I think
they'd be great for groceries, kids and carpool. They use them for
everything from transporting the family, taxi service, hauling construction
material , taking grandma out for a spin or ???? The cure for America's SUV
problem....www.bicimoto.com.mx.

http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1039.jpg

Bikes are a very interesting part of the culture. It's interesting that many
folks commute by bike to whatever type of jobs they have, and even out on
what appear to be undeveloped areas you'll find someone along a road slowly
pedaling along. Most of the highways in the more developed areas we visited
have separate bike paths. Behind most buildings you see them parked en
masse from the workers. At our hotel in Valladolid, every morning you'd see
bikes getting wheeled across the courtyard as folks arrive for work. Let's
not even talk about the traffic, bike and car, and the drivers!

here's a fun one we saw, kid seat with tri-bars...
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1082.jpg

We went to one Maya AZ (archaeological zone) Coba` which is about 40 kms in
from the coast, way south of Cancun.

http://www.playadelcarmeninfo.com/playa-del-carmen-info-mayan-ruins-of-coba.html

This is a really interesting site in
that it's only partially excavated, and very spread out. It gets quite a few
visitors, but not nearly to the degree of it's famous neighbor to the NW,
Chitzen Itza. It's the kind of place where you'd expect Indiana Jones to
come swinging out on a vine at any time. We'd heard that you could rent
bikes there, and much to our pleasure, you could... pick a bike, any bike,
for 25 pesos ($2.50)

http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1104.jpg

The site is rather spread out: there are several
groupings, but there are several kms apart, so bike of course is the
choice!! The roads linking the groupings are ancient Maya limestone paved
roads, called Sacbe, that link building groups and AZ all over the Yucatan.
So these sacbe are perfect bike paths. They are wide and **somewhat** flat,
terrain altered by 1300 years of jungle growing through and over it.

It feels so great to be on a bike... and single speed at that ( new
territory for me) Flying through the jungle is cool and breezy. Each little
grouping has a special parking area just for bikes. We turn off on some
single track that goes ?? I wonder about where is it going...no maps of
course, and it gets narrowed and rockier with low limestone outcrops here
and there. The plan was that it would connect up with the sacbe we were on
that went back to some engraved monoliths, but no.... my comfort zone got
the best of me and I insisted we turn around. Bike is definitely the way to
travel here. The minute you stop it's hot humid and oppressive.. No choice
tho as close to the structures is no bike, and not even JD could tackle
the pyramid on a bike!

http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1106.jpg
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1107.jpg
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1108.jpg

The main castillo is amazing. They've only uncovered one side of it, and
barely reconstructed it enough to be able to climb up it.It's the tallest
pyramid in this part of the Yucatan. The other three
sides are still covered in trees, roots and vines. We hike to the top, take
in the view, recover from the climb and then back down. We'd parked are
bikes right across from where the bike taxi guys hang out while their
customers are on the pyramid. These guys are strong... pedaling family
groups that may be Granny, or Mom and toddlers, or Cruise Ship
Passengers types around the site.

http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1114.jpg
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1116.jpg
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1117.jpg
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1109.jpg

On the return journey thought the site, Craig cuts off on another little
trail, but I tell ya, I am NOT feeling adventurous. He meets up with me,
turns out his little trail went by the site of a little (crocodile infested)
lake, and he was a little worried about snakes dropping on his head.

We park our bikes at the little "lot", with big smiles on our face. What a
blast, really a lot of fun. We sure had big grins on our faces: the trip
had gotten off to a rough start with some CC lock out problems ( I had the
wrong PIN, what a pain!!) but with a few hours of bike FUN, all remaining
stress and anxiety were blown away. It was the perfect set up for the
beach phase of our trip. I saw the little bike repair shop on the way out.
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1123.jpg

The rest of the trip was devoted to scuba diving, eating, sleeping, etc, and
hanging on the beach.
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1131.jpg (view from the porch
of our palapa, thatched house)

Didn't have dinner here, but the sign was good:
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1183.jpg

On the last day home, I got my wish. After disembarking from the ferry at
Playa Del Carmen, we had for blocks to go to the bus station, to get to the
Cancun airport. We were not looking forward to lugging three heavy gear
bags that distance. ( note to self, get wheeled bags for next trip) Lo and
behold, to no surprise, there's a triciclo taxi, " carry your luggage? 35
pesos..." You, bet, but please let me ride it!! So the driver walked, and I
rode our luggage to the bus station.
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1256.jpg
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1257.jpg

ah, back to reality now.

Penny

I was thinking you shunk the rugrats but now I see them.
So when are you getting you backward trike? You can go double tracking.

I MTB 2004

[email protected] wrote:
> I was thinking you shunk the rugrats but now I see
> them. So when are you getting you backward trike? You can go double
> tracking.
>
> I MTB 2004

what rugrats? I left them at home for this trip!!!

p.

> ah, back to reality now.

That's always the hard part of trips like those. My one jungle ride
involved slimy wet roots and tedious tricks of balance (and lots of
falling due to my inability to consistently manage those tricks of
balance), so I'm glad you didn't have to go through that!

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing stories & pics.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Penny S wrote:

> note: for those of you (you know who you are) who want the full two week
> Yucatan Peninsula/Cozumel TR or the dive reports, watch your mail.
>
> The Mexicans certainly have a handle on bikes as transportation!! They are
> everywhere, and helmetless riders every one!! The most incredible parade of
> bikes I've ever seen.
>
> It feels so great to be on a bike... and single speed at that ( new
> territory for me) Flying through the jungle is cool and breezy. Each little
> grouping has a special parking area just for bikes. We turn off on some
> single track that goes ??
>
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1106.jpg
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1107.jpg
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1108.jpg
>
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1114.jpg
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1116.jpg
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1117.jpg
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1109.jpg
>
> The rest of the trip was devoted to scuba diving, eating, sleeping, etc, and
> hanging on the beach.
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1131.jpg (view from the porch
> of our palapa, thatched house)

Awesome view. Dang, it almost looks like a movie set or something... the
water and sand color are great... man, I really miss my yearly surf
trips down to Baja.

Nice RR and pix, but what about the diving pix ??? I know you took some,
didn't you?
--
Slacker

Penny S wrote:
> note: for those of you (you know who you are) who want the full two
> week Yucatan Peninsula/Cozumel TR or the dive reports, watch your
> mail.

<MUCHO SNIP>
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1123.jpg

Something tells me you want find shimano here.

Looks really, really cool! I was in Cancum about 13 years ago and that wa
the last time I was in Mexico. I think it's time for another trip!

Thanks for sharing.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Penny S wrote:
>> note: for those of you (you know who you are) who want the full two
>> week Yucatan Peninsula/Cozumel TR or the dive reports, watch your
>> mail.

> <MUCHO SNIP>
>> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1123.jpg

> Something tells me you want find shimano here.
>
> Looks really, really cool! I was in Cancum about 13 years ago and
> that wa the last time I was in Mexico. I think it's time for another
> trip!
>
> Thanks for sharing.

misc OT notes for you all.

Cancun has a Wal-mart, ferrchrissakes. Our total time in Cancun was picking
up a rental car within in an hour of arriving, and getting off the bus two
hours before leaving. If you want to visit the real Mexico, I recommend you
do the same

For you divers,
http://www.diveparadise.com/reefs.htm has better pics than I could ever
take. We did 14 dives each in 7 days, including a night dive. Although we
did have a supposedly decent UW camera, as new divers our focus was
maintaining bouancy not taking pictures. We did shoot off three rolls, what
a waste of film. Maybe I'll get a case for my digital next time, who
knows... UW photography is not just point and shoot.

They surf on the East side of Cozumel, I do have some good snapshots. We
went and watched one afternoon.

Penny

Penny S wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> Penny S wrote:
>>> note: for those of you (you know who you are) who want the full two
>>> week Yucatan Peninsula/Cozumel TR or the dive reports, watch your
>>> mail.

>> <MUCHO SNIP>
>>> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1123.jpg

>> Something tells me you want find shimano here.
>>
>> Looks really, really cool! I was in Cancum about 13 years ago and
>> that wa the last time I was in Mexico. I think it's time for another
>> trip!
>>
>> Thanks for sharing.

> misc OT notes for you all.
>
> Cancun has a Wal-mart, ferrchrissakes. Our total time in Cancun was
> picking up a rental car within in an hour of arriving, and getting
> off the bus two hours before leaving. If you want to visit the real
> Mexico, I recommend you do the same
>
> For you divers,
> http://www.diveparadise.com/reefs.htm has better pics than I could
> ever take. We did 14 dives each in 7 days, including a night dive.
> Although we did have a supposedly decent UW camera, as new divers our
> focus was maintaining bouancy not taking pictures. We did shoot off
> three rolls, what a waste of film. Maybe I'll get a case for my
> digital next time, who knows... UW photography is not just point and
> shoot.
>
> They surf on the East side of Cozumel, I do have some good snapshots.
> We went and watched one afternoon.
>
> Penny

Looked great. I want to go back to somewhere like that! Maybe when the boy
is juat a little older...

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Penny S wrote:
>
>>Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>><MUCHO SNIP>

>>>Something tells me you want find shimano here.
>>>
>>>Looks really, really cool! I was in Cancum about 13 years ago and
>>>that wa the last time I was in Mexico. I think it's time for another
>>>trip!
>>>
>>>Thanks for sharing.

>>misc OT notes for you all.
>>
>>Cancun has a Wal-mart, ferrchrissakes. Our total time in Cancun was
>>picking up a rental car within in an hour of arriving, and getting
>>off the bus two hours before leaving. If you want to visit the real
>>Mexico, I recommend you do the same
>>
>>For you divers,
>>http://www.diveparadise.com/reefs.htm has better pics than I could
>>ever take. We did 14 dives each in 7 days, including a night dive.
>>Although we did have a supposedly decent UW camera, as new divers our
>>focus was maintaining bouancy not taking pictures. We did shoot off
>>three rolls, what a waste of film. Maybe I'll get a case for my
>>digital next time, who knows... UW photography is not just point and
>>shoot.
>>
>>They surf on the East side of Cozumel, I do have some good snapshots.
>>We went and watched one afternoon.
>>
>>Penny

> Looked great. I want to go back to somewhere like that! Maybe when the boy
> is juat a little older...
>
> Matt

We went to Hawaii when Patrick was 3 and Maddy was 3 mo. Worked fine.
Diving wasn't on the agenda though.

Shawn

Looks like a great vacation! Thanks for sharing.

--
monique

> Cancun has a Wal-mart, ferrchrissakes. Our total time in Cancun was
picking
> up a rental car within in an hour of arriving, and getting off the bus two
> hours before leaving. If you want to visit the real Mexico, I recommend

you
> do the same
>
> For you divers,
> http://www.diveparadise.com/reefs.htm has better pics than I could ever
> take. We did 14 dives each in 7 days, including a night dive. Although we
> did have a supposedly decent UW camera, as new divers our focus was
> maintaining bouancy not taking pictures. We did shoot off three rolls,

what
> a waste of film. Maybe I'll get a case for my digital next time, who
> knows... UW photography is not just point and shoot.
>
> They surf on the East side of Cozumel, I do have some good snapshots. We
> went and watched one afternoon.
>
> Penny

My wife and I love Mexico but like you Cancun is an airport for us. We
really dig Isla Mujeres!!
Drew

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> Looks like a great vacation! Thanks for sharing.

heh heh, that was only just a bit of it. Among various OT things we did was
a lot of beach time at a place in Tulum with power only 4 hours a day; boat
tour of the Sian Kaan world heritage biosphere reserve, and 7 days of scuba
diving.

p.

On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:58:39 -0700, Penny S wrote:

> We were not looking forward to lugging three heavy gear
> bags that distance. ( note to self, get wheeled bags for next trip) Lo and
> behold, to no surprise, there's a triciclo taxi, " carry your luggage? 35
> pesos..." You, bet, but please let me ride it!! So the driver walked, and I
> rode our luggage to the bus station.
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1256.jpg
> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1257.jpg

This is the best part of the story. :)

gabrielle

<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1123.jpg
>

>The rest of the trip was devoted to scuba diving, eating, sleeping, etc, and
>hanging on the beach.
>http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1131.jpg (view from the porch
>of our palapa, thatched house)
>
>Didn't have dinner here, but the sign was good:
>http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1183.jpg
>
>On the last day home, I got my wish. After disembarking from the ferry at
>Playa Del Carmen, we had for blocks to go to the bus station, to get to the
>Cancun airport. We were not looking forward to lugging three heavy gear
>bags that distance. ( note to self, get wheeled bags for next trip) Lo and
>behold, to no surprise, there's a triciclo taxi, " carry your luggage? 35
>pesos..." You, bet, but please let me ride it!! So the driver walked, and I

Wow! Great Stuff!

Peace,
Bill
The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]