RR: What's the best bike for tech Pacific Northwest riding???

Gman

Guest
Why a rigid SS with 27" wide bars of course!

A little vaca up to Seattle and I was finally able to bring
the bike. A friend let me borrow a Saris "Bones" rack that
worked out very nicely, thank you very much. In fact, after
the trip I bought it from him.

First up was the popular Tiger mountain. I was staying in
Sammamish only about 12 miles from the trail head so it was
a must do.

Seattle trails are much more tech than Boise, and although I
paid for the roots and rocks on the way down with the rigid,
the climb was WAY fun. For you locals we did the popular NW
Timber and Preston RR combo, up and down. What a cool ride.
http://www.bbtc.org/recreation/location_detail.php?location_id=5

A nice challenging climb on the 32x17/180s of my Surly, plus
lots of bumps on the way down...I was worked at the
end...plenty of buff sections to groove on too tho, lest you
get discouraged, specially on NW Timber. Excellent...

At the top of Preston a guy looked at my bike and said,
"I've only seen one or two of those bikes, and I've *never*
seen one up here!" =)

Thanks to Jay (a new mtbing friend) for making the Tiger
ride happen.

Gab had mentioned that I *had* to do Tapeworm too, a really
interesting tight-twisty trail next to Philip Arnold park in
Renton. "The Worm" was a hoot! We hit that and "Mr. DNA"
(I think). It was VERY tight, lots of roots and some fun
little man made obstacles...teeter totters, bridges and
such. Quite cool, although not very clearly marked from
what I could tell. Tapeworm has a small sign taped to a
tree and a "begin" directional arrow (the trail is one way
by design), but I didn't see any other sign-age.
http://www.bbtc.org/recreation/location_detail.php?location_id=37

Oh yeah, one other thing. Tapeworm is listed at 200 vert
feet, but it plays more like 1000-1500 due to energy
expended on the tech.

The weather was /beautiful/ while we were in Wa, but on the
drive home it POUNDED rain, my poor Brooks...it appears to
have survived the 8 hours in the rain. Pls nobody tell
Brooks about how I treat that thing or they might never sell
me another! Well, it IS a mountain bike saddle for
Chrissakes! =)

A few very lame pix here:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Seattle/

Ride on!
Gman out

<Gman

Pls nobody tell
Brooks about how I treat that thing or they might never sell
me another! Well, it IS a mountain bike saddle for
Chrissakes! =)

A few very lame pix here:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Seattle/

Ride on!
Gman out>

I would have thought you woould have put a bag over the saddle...

Very nice stuff!!

Jimbo(san)

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why a rigid SS with 27" wide bars of course!
>
> A little vaca up to Seattle and I was finally able to bring
> the bike. A friend let me borrow a Saris "Bones" rack that
> worked out very nicely, thank you very much. In fact, after
> the trip I bought it from him.
>
> First up was the popular Tiger mountain. I was staying in
> Sammamish only about 12 miles from the trail head so it was
> a must do.> A few very lame pix here:
> http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Seattle/
>
> Ride on!
> Gman out

To answer your question, the right bike for those trails shore aint a fully
rigid SS, you freak! In school we called you guys, D.A.R.'s

paladin