General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Running and low pulse

Started by Ignoramus20931 · · Last activity · 68 posts · 2,820 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 July 2005
Last activity
29 July 2005
Original author
Ignoramus20931
Posts
68
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,820
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 68
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. curt said:


    "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    curt said:

    Wow, I haven't heard from you in a while. I was over on LC for a long


    time.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I just wanted to say hi. Your HR sounds good to me. The more you run


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    get in better shape, it seems the ol' ticker just gets a bit more


    efficient.

    Quoted message said:


    Hi Curt, nice to see you too. Are you still bicycling?

    i

    Yes, up until this hamstring pull I just got today. I hope it heals fast!

    I hope so... My son and I were bicycling today (he was in a back seat
    on my bicycle) and we ran into a huge thunderstorm. It was an
    adventure for him.

    i

  2. "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    i

    Not only RHR, but your HR at all comparable efforts will be lower of course,
    though as a controlled measure RHR is the best. Changes in RHR can indicate
    over-training, or the onset of an illness. I always forget to check mine
    early in the morning before getting out of bed - the best time. When I have
    in the past it's close to 40 when I'm in shape, mid 40's when I'm slightly
    out of shape.

    As an aside, weight loss makes a dramatic difference in running HR. Since my
    weight is down this year, my rested walking HR is down at least 10 bpm, and
    my slow running pace is down about the same, which enables me now to run at
    less than 70% max HR (if it's not hot).

    When exercising, I find my HR more responsive the better rested I am. That
    is, if it goes up easily in response to an increase in speed, that shows the
    muscles are rested and the tanks are full. If it's at all sluggish to rise,
    I'm either not fully rested or low on glycogen, or both.

    During a long exercise session HR will change also, with cardiac drift, yes,
    but also in the first 45 minutes or so it can be higher if you're very well
    rested, which is why it's very important to go slow early in long races.

    -Tony

  3. "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    i

    Not only RHR, but your HR at all comparable efforts will be lower of course,
    though as a controlled measure RHR is the best. Changes in RHR can indicate
    over-training, or the onset of an illness. I always forget to check mine
    early in the morning before getting out of bed - the best time. When I have
    in the past it's close to 40 when I'm in shape, mid 40's when I'm slightly
    out of shape.

    As an aside, weight loss makes a dramatic difference in running HR. Since my
    weight is down this year, my rested walking HR is down at least 10 bpm, and
    my slow running pace is down about the same, which enables me now to run at
    less than 70% max HR (if it's not hot).

    When exercising, I find my HR more responsive the better rested I am. That
    is, if it goes up easily in response to an increase in speed, that shows the
    muscles are rested and the tanks are full. If it's at all sluggish to rise,
    I'm either not fully rested or low on glycogen, or both.

    During a long exercise session HR will change also, with cardiac drift, yes,
    but also in the first 45 minutes or so it can be higher if you're very well
    rested, which is why it's very important to go slow early in long races.

    -Tony

  4. "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    i

    Not only RHR, but your HR at all comparable efforts will be lower of course,
    though as a controlled measure RHR is the best. Changes in RHR can indicate
    over-training, or the onset of an illness. I always forget to check mine
    early in the morning before getting out of bed - the best time. When I have
    in the past it's close to 40 when I'm in shape, mid 40's when I'm slightly
    out of shape.

    As an aside, weight loss makes a dramatic difference in running HR. Since my
    weight is down this year, my rested walking HR is down at least 10 bpm, and
    my slow running pace is down about the same, which enables me now to run at
    less than 70% max HR (if it's not hot).

    When exercising, I find my HR more responsive the better rested I am. That
    is, if it goes up easily in response to an increase in speed, that shows the
    muscles are rested and the tanks are full. If it's at all sluggish to rise,
    I'm either not fully rested or low on glycogen, or both.

    During a long exercise session HR will change also, with cardiac drift, yes,
    but also in the first 45 minutes or so it can be higher if you're very well
    rested, which is why it's very important to go slow early in long races.

    -Tony

  5. "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    i

    Not only RHR, but your HR at all comparable efforts will be lower of course,
    though as a controlled measure RHR is the best. Changes in RHR can indicate
    over-training, or the onset of an illness. I always forget to check mine
    early in the morning before getting out of bed - the best time. When I have
    in the past it's close to 40 when I'm in shape, mid 40's when I'm slightly
    out of shape.

    As an aside, weight loss makes a dramatic difference in running HR. Since my
    weight is down this year, my rested walking HR is down at least 10 bpm, and
    my slow running pace is down about the same, which enables me now to run at
    less than 70% max HR (if it's not hot).

    When exercising, I find my HR more responsive the better rested I am. That
    is, if it goes up easily in response to an increase in speed, that shows the
    muscles are rested and the tanks are full. If it's at all sluggish to rise,
    I'm either not fully rested or low on glycogen, or both.

    During a long exercise session HR will change also, with cardiac drift, yes,
    but also in the first 45 minutes or so it can be higher if you're very well
    rested, which is why it's very important to go slow early in long races.

    -Tony

  6. Tony said:

    "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    i

    Not only RHR, but your HR at all comparable efforts will be lower of course,
    though as a controlled measure RHR is the best. Changes in RHR can indicate
    over-training, or the onset of an illness. I always forget to check mine
    early in the morning before getting out of bed - the best time. When I have
    in the past it's close to 40 when I'm in shape, mid 40's when I'm slightly
    out of shape.

    As an aside, weight loss makes a dramatic difference in running HR. Since my
    weight is down this year, my rested walking HR is down at least 10 bpm, and
    my slow running pace is down about the same, which enables me now to run at
    less than 70% max HR (if it's not hot).

    When exercising, I find my HR more responsive the better rested I am. That
    is, if it goes up easily in response to an increase in speed, that shows the
    muscles are rested and the tanks are full. If it's at all sluggish to rise,
    I'm either not fully rested or low on glycogen, or both.

    During a long exercise session HR will change also, with cardiac drift, yes,
    but also in the first 45 minutes or so it can be higher if you're very well
    rested, which is why it's very important to go slow early in long races.

    -Tony

    Thanks Tony, that was interesting.

    i

  7. Tony said:

    "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    i

    Not only RHR, but your HR at all comparable efforts will be lower of course,
    though as a controlled measure RHR is the best. Changes in RHR can indicate
    over-training, or the onset of an illness. I always forget to check mine
    early in the morning before getting out of bed - the best time. When I have
    in the past it's close to 40 when I'm in shape, mid 40's when I'm slightly
    out of shape.

    As an aside, weight loss makes a dramatic difference in running HR. Since my
    weight is down this year, my rested walking HR is down at least 10 bpm, and
    my slow running pace is down about the same, which enables me now to run at
    less than 70% max HR (if it's not hot).

    When exercising, I find my HR more responsive the better rested I am. That
    is, if it goes up easily in response to an increase in speed, that shows the
    muscles are rested and the tanks are full. If it's at all sluggish to rise,
    I'm either not fully rested or low on glycogen, or both.

    During a long exercise session HR will change also, with cardiac drift, yes,
    but also in the first 45 minutes or so it can be higher if you're very well
    rested, which is why it's very important to go slow early in long races.

    -Tony

    Thanks Tony, that was interesting.

    i

  8. Tony said:

    "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    i

    Not only RHR, but your HR at all comparable efforts will be lower of course,
    though as a controlled measure RHR is the best. Changes in RHR can indicate
    over-training, or the onset of an illness. I always forget to check mine
    early in the morning before getting out of bed - the best time. When I have
    in the past it's close to 40 when I'm in shape, mid 40's when I'm slightly
    out of shape.

    As an aside, weight loss makes a dramatic difference in running HR. Since my
    weight is down this year, my rested walking HR is down at least 10 bpm, and
    my slow running pace is down about the same, which enables me now to run at
    less than 70% max HR (if it's not hot).

    When exercising, I find my HR more responsive the better rested I am. That
    is, if it goes up easily in response to an increase in speed, that shows the
    muscles are rested and the tanks are full. If it's at all sluggish to rise,
    I'm either not fully rested or low on glycogen, or both.

    During a long exercise session HR will change also, with cardiac drift, yes,
    but also in the first 45 minutes or so it can be higher if you're very well
    rested, which is why it's very important to go slow early in long races.

    -Tony

    Thanks Tony, that was interesting.

    i

  9. Tony said:

    "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    i

    Not only RHR, but your HR at all comparable efforts will be lower of course,
    though as a controlled measure RHR is the best. Changes in RHR can indicate
    over-training, or the onset of an illness. I always forget to check mine
    early in the morning before getting out of bed - the best time. When I have
    in the past it's close to 40 when I'm in shape, mid 40's when I'm slightly
    out of shape.

    As an aside, weight loss makes a dramatic difference in running HR. Since my
    weight is down this year, my rested walking HR is down at least 10 bpm, and
    my slow running pace is down about the same, which enables me now to run at
    less than 70% max HR (if it's not hot).

    When exercising, I find my HR more responsive the better rested I am. That
    is, if it goes up easily in response to an increase in speed, that shows the
    muscles are rested and the tanks are full. If it's at all sluggish to rise,
    I'm either not fully rested or low on glycogen, or both.

    During a long exercise session HR will change also, with cardiac drift, yes,
    but also in the first 45 minutes or so it can be higher if you're very well
    rested, which is why it's very important to go slow early in long races.

    -Tony

    Thanks Tony, that was interesting.

    i

  10. Your doctor should be measuring your thyroid hormones
    once or twice a year to stabilize that problem.
    Otherwise low pulses are common for athletes
    increasing training.

  11. Your doctor should be measuring your thyroid hormones
    once or twice a year to stabilize that problem.
    Otherwise low pulses are common for athletes
    increasing training.

  12. Your doctor should be measuring your thyroid hormones
    once or twice a year to stabilize that problem.
    Otherwise low pulses are common for athletes
    increasing training.

  13. Your doctor should be measuring your thyroid hormones
    once or twice a year to stabilize that problem.
    Otherwise low pulses are common for athletes
    increasing training.

  14. rick++ said:

    Your doctor should be measuring your thyroid hormones
    once or twice a year to stabilize that problem.
    Otherwise low pulses are common for athletes
    increasing training.

    Good point regarding thyroid hormone checks. I will soon go and take
    my blood test, it has been ordered, but I have been postponing it.

    i

  15. rick++ said:

    Your doctor should be measuring your thyroid hormones
    once or twice a year to stabilize that problem.
    Otherwise low pulses are common for athletes
    increasing training.

    Good point regarding thyroid hormone checks. I will soon go and take
    my blood test, it has been ordered, but I have been postponing it.

    i

  16. rick++ said:

    Your doctor should be measuring your thyroid hormones
    once or twice a year to stabilize that problem.
    Otherwise low pulses are common for athletes
    increasing training.

    Good point regarding thyroid hormone checks. I will soon go and take
    my blood test, it has been ordered, but I have been postponing it.

    i

  17. rick++ said:

    Your doctor should be measuring your thyroid hormones
    once or twice a year to stabilize that problem.
    Otherwise low pulses are common for athletes
    increasing training.

    Good point regarding thyroid hormone checks. I will soon go and take
    my blood test, it has been ordered, but I have been postponing it.

    i

  18. "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    Absolutely. I actually have some good recent anecdotal
    numbers for you.

    My RHR was 70 - 72 in May 2000, when I started to run
    for the first time. In October (same year), I ran a marathon
    and distinctly remember checking in at 46 on race morning.

    Since then, I have seen the odd reading at 38-39 when I am
    peaking, but regularly at 40-42 over the least few years.

    I recently completely quit running for six months, but I did
    continue checking almost every morning out of habit. It
    crept up to the low 50's.

    My recent (one week) return to running dropped it to 47-48
    within 4 days of the start.

    cheers,
    --
    David Hirsh, director
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

  19. "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    Absolutely. I actually have some good recent anecdotal
    numbers for you.

    My RHR was 70 - 72 in May 2000, when I started to run
    for the first time. In October (same year), I ran a marathon
    and distinctly remember checking in at 46 on race morning.

    Since then, I have seen the odd reading at 38-39 when I am
    peaking, but regularly at 40-42 over the least few years.

    I recently completely quit running for six months, but I did
    continue checking almost every morning out of habit. It
    crept up to the low 50's.

    My recent (one week) return to running dropped it to 47-48
    within 4 days of the start.

    cheers,
    --
    David Hirsh, director
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

  20. "Ignoramus20931" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running relatively regularly in the last several months. I
    noticed that my pulse now is quite low, it used to be about 60 and now
    it is around 52 or so.

    This could be a result of two things, an adaptation to running, or
    insufficient dose of thyroid hormone that I am taking to compensate
    for absense of 2/3 of my thyroid.

    I would like to know if, in your opinion, regular jogging over the
    period of about 8 months could lead to change in RHR from 60 to 52.

    Absolutely. I actually have some good recent anecdotal
    numbers for you.

    My RHR was 70 - 72 in May 2000, when I started to run
    for the first time. In October (same year), I ran a marathon
    and distinctly remember checking in at 46 on race morning.

    Since then, I have seen the odd reading at 38-39 when I am
    peaking, but regularly at 40-42 over the least few years.

    I recently completely quit running for six months, but I did
    continue checking almost every morning out of habit. It
    crept up to the low 50's.

    My recent (one week) return to running dropped it to 47-48
    within 4 days of the start.

    cheers,
    --
    David Hirsh, director
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.