General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Running on hills/pavement

Started by David · · Last activity · 6 posts · 458 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 April 2004
Last activity
6 April 2004
Original author
David
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
458
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello, just a quick question. For the time being, my only
    place to run is the area around my house, which is pretty
    hilly. Since it's Spring, I'm also relegated to running on
    the paved road. I know these two things should be avoided,
    so what I'm wondering is should I bother running now, or
    wait till things dry up a bit more?

    I'm 17, have been running on and off for the past couple of
    years, maybe 20km/week at most. I haven't had any serious
    injuries yet(just plenty of sore muscles). I want to get
    more serious about it now though, and I'd like to do it
    right without killing my knees.

    Thanks, -David

  2. David said:

    Hello, just a quick question. For the time being, my only
    place to run is the area around my house, which is pretty
    hilly. Since it's Spring, I'm also relegated to running on
    the paved road. I know these two things should be avoided,
    so what I'm wondering is should I bother running now, or
    wait till things dry up a bit more?

    I guess it would depend on how long this is your only option
    and what your goals are and time frame? If "spring" is 2
    days, maybe 2 weeks, like Alaska, then you might wait it out
    if it's that big a deal. If spring is longer, like the 3
    months the calendars indicate, I'd start running or at least
    walking some or find an alternative.

    Do your paved roads have gravel or dirt edges where you
    could run to avoid pavement? Are the hills substantial (say,
    15% slope or more for 1km or more) that they really are an
    issue for muscle overuse unless you work up to them or are
    they gentle undulations that provide variation for the feet
    rather than the repetitiveness of flat?

    I'm not sure why you're limited to running only around your
    house on paved, hilly roads. Are your other alternatives
    normally trail that's now soggy between snowshoe running and
    regular running or track that's under snow or flood waters
    that have cut off access to where you normally run? Sorry,
    but I'm really not sure what "wait till things dry up a bit
    more" mean? unless waiting for trails to dry after breakup
    or it's a rainy season where you live?

    FWIW, some of my trails have been getting rather icy or
    soggy as snow decays then refreezes, so I've run in some
    wet, partially slushy fields (sogginess wasn't as deep as
    trail, and grass covered the ice) - just coat up the feet
    with vaseline under the socks in drainable running shoes and
    run (admittedly, I didn't get it right the first time, but
    did the 2nd, at least for short runs). Running in 6-8in tall
    wet grass has it's own issues, but that's the best I could
    do that day, and I was going to run that day.

    I guess I"m really wondering whether the limitation is real
    or whether you just need some help with creative thinking as
    to where to run to avoid paved roads. I know I started with
    one type of running thinking that was all there was, then
    sorta expanded horizons in last couple years. This group can
    open one's eyes to some variety.

    Quoted message said:


    I'm 17, have been running on and off for the past couple
    of years, maybe 20km/week at most. I haven't had any
    serious injuries yet(just plenty of sore muscles). I want
    to get more serious about it now though, and I'd like to
    do it right without killing my knees.

    It's good you're being cautious, but some more hints as to
    limitations and expected duration as well as your goals
    would be helpful for us to help you.

    Dot snowshoeing yesterday, mud in parts of town today, what
    will be on the ground tomorrow morning? (and subzero F 2
    nights last week)

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  3. [email hidden] (David) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, just a quick question. For the time being, my only
    place to run is the area around my house, which is pretty
    hilly. Since it's Spring, I'm also relegated to running on
    the paved road. I know these two things should be avoided,
    so what I'm wondering is should I bother running now, or
    wait till things dry up a bit more?

    I'm 17, have been running on and off for the past couple
    of years, maybe 20km/week at most. I haven't had any
    serious injuries yet(just plenty of sore muscles). I want
    to get more serious about it now though, and I'd like to
    do it right without killing my knees.

    Thanks, -David

    I've been running on paved roads for the past 21 years, it's
    quite hilly here too, and have had no injuries (beyond calf
    strains) to speak of (though I did suffer with Morton's
    Neuroma, which was related to buying shoes of the wrong
    size). The important things are a) good shoes, regularly
    replaced and b) good form (not too much bouncing up and
    down, plenty of bounding forward.)

    Edward
    --
    The reading group's reading group:
    bookgroup.org.ukbookgroup.org.uk

  4. David said:

    Hello, just a quick question. For the time being, my only
    place to run is the area around my house, which is pretty
    hilly. Since it's Spring, I'm also relegated to running on
    the paved road. I know these two things should be avoided

    Well, I don't like running on pavement, but I go out of my
    way to run on hills. It's much more interesting than
    running on the flat. Where I live (south New Jersey), hills
    are very hard to come by--I drive six or eight miles to a
    park with hills. They're short, but steep. Some are so
    steep that I go up them (not running, more like crawling),
    but don't go down--I take another trail that is not so
    steep, for fear of slipping.

    The only time I've had trouble (pain and stiffness) after
    running on hills was the time I ran down the Grand Canyon.
    (I won't say I ran back up again
    :-).)

    Mike McSwell

  5. Hills are great for running. As with everything else
    gradually get used to them.

  6. In article said:

    Hello, just a quick question. For the time being, my only
    place to run is the area around my house, which is pretty
    hilly. Since it's Spring, I'm also relegated to running on
    the paved road. I know these two things should be avoided,
    so what I'm wondering is should I bother running now, or
    wait till things dry up a bit more?

    Pavement is fine for a lot of people -- depends on whether
    you're prone to certain types of injury though.

    A word of caution -- the human body really does not like
    surprises or sudden changes, so ease into it. If you're
    running in the hills, take it easy especially to start with.
    Running uphill and downhill both beat up your muscles pretty
    badly -- impact on downhills stresses the quads, increasing
    stride rate on downhills stresses your hamstrings, the
    uphills work your calves. So go easy.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm 17,

    Depending on whether you've stopped growing or how long
    you've stopped growing for, you may still be vulnerable to
    impact injuries like stress fractures. If you're just out of
    a growth spurt this is something to watch for, but if you're
    a couple of years past it, it may not be as much of a
    problem. Pay careful attention to nutrition if you're
    running. Consider taking a calcium supplement or just drink
    a lot of milk.

    Quoted message said:

    plenty of sore muscles). I want to get more serious about
    it now though, and I'd like to do it right without killing
    my knees.

    The best thing you can do for your future as a runner at the
    moment is to train consistently. Maintaining consistent but
    modest milage will lay down a good foundation for future
    years, improve your aerobic conditioning, and leave you
    fairly well prepared for short distances (800m - 5km). I'd
    recommend emphasising the shorter distances until you're
    done with high school. Being a good miler or 5k runner will
    prepare you for being a good 10k-marathon runner later on.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.