General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Running Routes - Design

Started by William Ducklow · · Last activity · 37 posts · 1,510 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 March 2005
Last activity
20 March 2005
Original author
William Ducklow
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,510
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–37 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. William Ducklow said:

    Hello everyone.

    For my long runs, I sit down with MS Streets & Trips and design a route
    that matches the distance of what I want to run. I print that and take it
    with me on my run.

    I have always wondered what everyone else does. Do you use a software
    program?

    When I used to run roads, I used MS S&T a few times, but it puts the
    northeast corner of my subdivision in a large river. Needless to say I
    don't trust it. I think the roads may be ok, but the physical features
    are poorly located.

    If I use a software program for trails, I'm most likely to use All Topos
    Alaska, since it was one of the few that uses the most recent USGS maps.
    Of course, most of the USGS maps are out of date and may not show the
    trails accurately.

    I'm equally likely to use a trail map for a particular trail system (the
    kind you pick up at trailhead) or a trail guidebook or occasionally tag
    along with someone else. Just depends what I'm doin'.

    I'll either pick an area I've never been before or maybe a sub-route (or
    super-route) within something I've hiked or skied, but not run. I take a
    best guess at distance, elevation change, and course difficulty to
    estimate my time to see if that's what's close to what I have planned
    for that day (time, distance, elevation). If not, I may alter that
    course or put it aside for a different day and pick another route to
    achieve today's goals.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you run by time? GPS?

    I run by time. If a long run, esp. on a new route, I'll generally take
    my GPS with me to map the route, but it's on top my camelbak so I don't
    see any of the data while running (may check distance and/or elevation
    if I stop for another reason, like pictures). I'm tending to use my
    Polar S625x for distance and elevation estimates *after* the run. It
    seems to be giving me reasonable numbers across an assortment of
    conditions - except slick ice. At least I can't prove them wrong.

    Most of our snowshoe club runs are out/back so we can head back
    individually based on our desired duration for the day. On my regular
    trails, I'm more likely to do loops, but I may also try to run out/back
    to a particular landmark (and why my TOL doesn't always build according
    to hoyle or my plans).

    Dot

    --
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

  2. Dan Stumpus said:

    Typically, I lose about 8-9 minutes for every 1000' of climb (and equal
    descent) on a long trail run.

    A good rule of thumb is to add a mile's worth of time for every 1000' of
    climb. So if your pace for a flat 20M averages 8 MPM, a 20M run with
    4000' of climb *should* take about 32 minutes longer. I've found this
    works on most grades, but if a course has REAL steep ups, the
    differential will be greater and even steep downs where you can't run
    full out can slow the pace down some.
    --
    - The Trailrunner

    Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

    Trails of the Diablo Valley
    *Running - Hiking - Nature*
    http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

  3. Dan Stumpus said:

    Typically, I lose about 8-9 minutes for every 1000' of climb (and equal
    descent) on a long trail run.

    A good rule of thumb is to add a mile's worth of time for every 1000' of
    climb. So if your pace for a flat 20M averages 8 MPM, a 20M run with
    4000' of climb *should* take about 32 minutes longer. I've found this
    works on most grades, but if a course has REAL steep ups, the
    differential will be greater and even steep downs where you can't run
    full out can slow the pace down some.
    --
    - The Trailrunner

    Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

    Trails of the Diablo Valley
    *Running - Hiking - Nature*
    http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

  4. Tony' qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com said:


    About 20 years ago I read a book (don't remember which) that talked about
    runners becoming obsessed with pace and distance. The author suggested
    recording either distance or time, but not both. Since then I record only
    time for 99% of my exercise, including running and cycling.

    Same here. But I used to be as obsessive as Phil M. <g>

    I could tell you exactly how far and at what pace I ran/biked/swam
    going back to 19<mumble, mumble>

    But now I use time goals - often set in terms of blocks of time like
    you. Mine often incorporate two disciplines - swim/run. bike/run,
    swim/bike, but it's the total time, not the distances, that matter.

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  5. Mike Tennent said:
    Tony' qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com said:


    About 20 years ago I read a book (don't remember which) that talked


    about

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    runners becoming obsessed with pace and distance. The author


    suggested

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    recording either distance or time, but not both. Since then I record


    only

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    time for 99% of my exercise, including running and cycling.

    Same here. But I used to be as obsessive as Phil M. <g>

    I doubt it. I didn't mention that I also use an HRM. So on top of all
    the mapping/time/distance data I've also got the
    HR/Max/Zone/Time/Distance data, not to mention the
    weather/terrain/climb/shoes/clothing/hydration/weight data. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I could tell you exactly how far and at what pace I ran/biked/swam
    going back to 19<mumble, mumble>

    October 10, 1995 for me. Except when I first started I was just using a
    Casio watch. I started out using a Quattro Pro (Borland at the time)
    spreadsheet.

    Phil M.

  6. Phil M. said:


    I doubt it. I didn't mention that I also use an HRM. So on top of all
    the mapping/time/distance data I've also got the
    HR/Max/Zone/Time/Distance data, not to mention the
    weather/terrain/climb/shoes/clothing/hydration/weight data. ;-)

    For curiosity, do you record this as one value or description for the
    entire run - or do you break it down by time when the weather changed
    from sun to rain to snow, trail changed from dirt to rocky / rooty,
    footing changed from snow to ice to mud and back, wind direction
    changed, etc.? 😉 I have long since abandoned an "adjustment" factor
    for snow / ice conditions when I used to run on road.

    Dot

    --
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

  7. Dot said:
    Phil M. said:


    I doubt it. I didn't mention that I also use an HRM. So on top of


    all

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the mapping/time/distance data I've also got the
    HR/Max/Zone/Time/Distance data, not to mention the
    weather/terrain/climb/shoes/clothing/hydration/weight data. ;-)

    For curiosity, do you record this as one value or description for the

    Quoted message said:

    entire run - or do you break it down by time when the weather changed

    Quoted message said:

    from sun to rain to snow, trail changed from dirt to rocky / rooty,
    footing changed from snow to ice to mud and back, wind direction
    changed, etc.? 😉 I have long since abandoned an "adjustment" factor

    Quoted message said:

    for snow / ice conditions when I used to run on road.

    I usually just make a note of the conditions and whether or not I think
    it may have impacted my running pace. Also I make note of what I wore
    how that impacted my comfort level. I've got enough data now so that I
    can look at past history for a given temp/sun/wind/humidity and be able
    to dress appropriately. Sometimes I'll break it down by time if it is a
    long run and the weather took a drastic turn.

    BTW, I'm looking at rain and upper 30s today for a scheduled 10 miles
    w/ vo2 intervals. Yuk!

    Phil M.

  8. William Ducklow said:

    Hello everyone.

    For my long runs, I sit down with MS Streets & Trips and design a route
    that matches the distance of what I want to run. I print that and take it
    with me on my run.

    I have always wondered what everyone else does. Do you use a software
    program? Do you run by time? GPS?

    The real numbers don't matter that much to me, so I use a combination of
    mapquest and effort and time compared with effort and time on some
    local measured courses.

    So I'll find a route that I know I want to do again, run it at a
    moderate pace, taking note of street names and addresses. Mapquest the
    legs of the run that can be mapquested (can't do parks or trails). I'll
    take splits with my stopwatch at the points I've mapquested next time I
    run, figure my pace for the legs that I've done and extrapolate that
    pace onto the places I couldn't mapquest, trying to keep the same effort
    as the time before. Once a week or so I run in a place that has known
    distances. When I run there I get an idea of how accurate my distances
    are on my self-measured routes and adjust them when I think they're off.

  9. "The Trailrunner" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    A good rule of thumb is to add a mile's worth of time for every 1000' of
    climb. So if your pace for a flat 20M averages 8 MPM, a 20M run with 4000'
    of climb *should* take about 32 minutes longer. I've found this works on
    most grades, but if a course has REAL steep ups, the differential will be
    greater and even steep downs where you can't run full out can slow the
    pace down some.

    Totally. Or as Prince Charles would say: "Quite."

  10. "Mike Tennent" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I could tell you exactly how far and at what pace I ran/biked/swam
    going back to 19<mumble, mumble>

    Not me. But I can rattle off my PR's in a heartbeat. That's good enough
    for me!

  11. Dan Stumpus said:


    "Mike Tennent" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I could tell you exactly how far and at what pace I ran/biked/swam
    going back to 19<mumble, mumble>

    Not me. But I can rattle off my PR's in a heartbeat. That's good enough
    for me!

    I wish I could get PR's again.

    PW's are more like it now. <g>

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  12. Phil M. wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    snip<
    October 10, 1995 for me. Except when I first started I was just using a
    Casio watch. I started out using a Quattro Pro (Borland at the time)
    spreadsheet.

    Phil M.

    Quattro pro was great! Another example of a great company (run by a lunatic
    yes) that got mowed under by those pirate [censored] at msft.

    -T

  13. Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
    qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com of 19 Mar 2005:

    Quoted message said:

    Phil M. wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    snip<
    October 10, 1995 for me. Except when I first started I was just using
    a Casio watch. I started out using a Quattro Pro (Borland at the time)
    spreadsheet.

    Phil M.

    Quattro pro was great! Another example of a great company (run by a
    lunatic yes) that got mowed under by those pirate [censored] at msft.

    You can still get it as part of WordPerfect Office 12 for around $200.

    Phil M.

  14. William Ducklow wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello everyone.

    For my long runs, I sit down with MS Streets & Trips and design a route
    that matches the distance of what I want to run. I print that and take it
    with me on my run.

    I have always wondered what everyone else does. Do you use a software
    program? Do you run by time? GPS?

    Since I come from an orienteering background, where there are few trails and
    only checkpoints, only time counts. If the stated course length is 13km, the
    runner will cover a great deal more, even without getting lost at all. A
    respectable overall pace for orienteering on the east coast was under 10
    mins/km when I was active in that. Elite times ranged from under 7m/km up to
    10m/km on the rougher terrain.

    Since then I often wander the local trail systems when running, taking
    different turns according to my whim. Then I can cut/add segments on the way
    home to come up with the rough overall time that I want. It's more fun that
    way, and I can also exercise skills inherited from the ancestors.

    When I lived in India, it was illegal to own a detailed map, so I had to
    memorize the trail systems and landmarks, which is a largely forgotten
    ability among modern humans, and it was extremely hard to do at first.

    -Tony

  15. Phil M. said:

    Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
    qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com of 19 Mar 2005:

    Quoted message said:

    Phil M. wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    snip<
    October 10, 1995 for me. Except when I first started I was just using
    a Casio watch. I started out using a Quattro Pro (Borland at the time)
    spreadsheet.

    Phil M.

    Quattro pro was great! Another example of a great company (run by a
    lunatic yes) that got mowed under by those pirate [censored] at msft.

    You can still get it as part of WordPerfect Office 12 for around $200.

    Phil M.

    Problem is, Corel hasn't kept up on compatibility issues. One of the
    beauties of Quattro originally was its compatibility with most things.
    I recognize the inability of much current software to read some Quattro
    files (usually the older ones, like I have for some old projects) isn't
    Corel's fault. IMHO, I think WordPerfect and Quattro haven't been the
    products they were when Corel took over.

    Dot

    --
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

  16. "Mike Tennent" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not me. But I can rattle off my PR's in a heartbeat. That's good enough
    for me!

    Quoted message said:

    I wish I could get PR's again.

    PW's are more like it now. <g>

    You and me both. Let me tell you a little secret: move up to ultras. A
    whole new universe awaits.

  17. 5 miles o store.
    5 miles to another store.
    8 miles to hwy.
    10 miles to x job sight.
    mile roads.
    880 for year
    11.1 a day ×79 days
    picking up 10¢ cans on bike with backpack to store nd back.
    r=5.5
    goal 5200 miles for 2005
    or over 5000 miles......
    spring today at 7:33 est.
    sun 0°N 5°1' W
    7hrs latter
    View from Sun: 149001836 km above 0°7'N 117°W
    19:55:22 juilan time
    7 hrs 22 minutes latter sun at
    117° west
    117-5=112°
    360°-112°=248°
    North 7°

    Do the math.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Happy 2005 spring everyone.
    Tong waging. ahhhhhhhhhhh

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.