General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

ruptured lumbar disc and massage

Started by John Smith · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,352 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 March 2004
Last activity
14 March 2004
Original author
John Smith
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,352
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So, in massage therapist training, what do they teach you
    about management and treatment of a ruptured lumbar disc?

    JS

  2. Ahh, the ruptured lumbar disc story. I really wish I could
    be impressed with
    it. And tell you how much muscle work is involved. But for
    you, instead, I've copied what I said in 1999 on my
    'home' newsgroup, alt.med.fibromyalgia. You're welcome
    to get it from Google. Copy follows:>>>>>

    The process is really neat, if this describes you. There is
    a muscle, the iliocostalis, that goes all the way down from
    the upper back to the sacrum. It is a frequent spasm area.
    Anyway, where it is connected to the sacrum, it sits over
    the top of the multifidus to the third lumbar vertebra.
    Don't worry about the muscle names, just follow the process.
    This muscle touches the fourth lumbar nerve near where it
    exits the spine. So when the iliocostalis causes the
    multifidus to go into spasm, the lumbar nerve becomes
    trapped, and the process can be quite painful. But even if
    it is numbed by endorphins, the body's reaction to the nerve
    irritation is to try to pull the multifidus to the third
    lumbar away from the nerve. So, on the OPPOSITE SIDE, the
    quadratus lumborum to the third lumbar vertebra becomes
    tensed to draw the vertebra down on that side, and up on the
    other, to take the pressure off the nerve. So this guarding
    reflex becomes a permanent condition, the muscles involved
    are in steady spasm, and it can even cause the appearance of
    a skewed torso. And if the process causes the psoas to
    become involved, the foot on the 'pulling' side will likely
    be rotated outward. But X-ray and MRI of the back will be
    'normal'. Interesting how a muscle that only comes near the
    spine can cause problems to appear on the opposite side of
    the spine. Actually, on both sides, with the trapped nerve
    on one side, the muscle in steady spasm on the other. But of
    course, your mileage may vary.

    End copy>>>>>

    John Smith <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    So, in massage therapist training, what do they teach you
    about management and treatment of a ruptured lumbar disc?

    JS

  3. C'mon, folks. Don't make me be the only one to respond to
    John's question!!! Especially since I didn't actually
    answer it, but rather just mentioned some of the possibly
    involved anatomy.

    Michael Baugh <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ahh, the ruptured lumbar disc story. I really wish I could
    be impressed


    with

    Quoted message said:

    it. And tell you how much muscle work is involved. But for
    you, instead, I've copied what I said in 1999 on my
    'home' newsgroup, alt.med.fibromyalgia. You're welcome
    to get it from Google. Copy follows:>>>>>

    The process is really neat, if this describes you. There
    is a muscle, the iliocostalis, that goes all the way down
    from the upper back to the sacrum. It is a frequent spasm
    area. Anyway, where it is connected to the sacrum, it sits
    over the top of the multifidus to the third lumbar
    vertebra. Don't worry about the muscle names, just follow
    the process. This muscle touches the fourth lumbar nerve
    near where it exits the spine. So when the iliocostalis
    causes the multifidus to go into spasm, the lumbar nerve
    becomes trapped, and the process can be quite painful. But
    even if it is numbed by endorphins, the body's reaction to
    the nerve irritation is to try to pull the multifidus to
    the third lumbar away from the nerve. So, on the OPPOSITE
    SIDE, the quadratus lumborum to the third lumbar vertebra
    becomes tensed to draw the vertebra down on that


    side,

    Quoted message said:

    and up on the other, to take the pressure off the nerve.
    So this guarding reflex becomes a permanent condition, the
    muscles involved are in steady spasm, and it can even
    cause the appearance of a skewed torso. And if the process
    causes the psoas to become involved, the foot on the
    'pulling' side will likely be rotated outward. But X-ray
    and MRI of the back will be 'normal'. Interesting how a
    muscle that only comes near the spine can cause problems
    to appear on the opposite side of the spine. Actually, on
    both sides, with the trapped nerve on one side, the muscle
    in steady spasm on the other. But of course, your mileage
    may vary.

    End copy>>>>>

    John Smith <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    So, in massage therapist training, what do they teach
    you about management and treatment of a ruptured
    lumbar disc?

    JS


  4. Give folks some time Michael! 🙂

    Management and treatment of a ruptured lumbar disc...... I
    am not sure what I was taught in school but since being out
    of school I learned about working muscles involved (see
    Michaels awesome post). I also learned to work with ice if
    there is inflammation in the area, some myofascial
    techniques can be helpful as the area may be extremely
    sensitive and deep pressure would not be appreciated.

    Tiffany

    Michael Baugh <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    C'mon, folks. Don't make me be the only one to respond to
    John's question!!! Especially since I didn't actually
    answer it, but rather just mentioned some of the possibly
    involved anatomy.

  5. Commonly, MTs deal with the symptomology of the
    condition, as described by Michael. (Dealing with pain
    and spasm, and offering reassurance.) Also, Mackenzie
    protocol is often prescribed to minimize discomfort and
    allow the disc to heal.

    "Tiffany" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Give folks some time Michael! 🙂

    Management and treatment of a ruptured lumbar disc...... I
    am not sure


    what

    Quoted message said:

    I was taught in school but since being out of school I
    learned about


    working

    Quoted message said:

    muscles involved (see Michaels awesome post). I also
    learned to work with ice if there is inflammation in the
    area, some myofascial techniques can


    be

    Quoted message said:

    helpful as the area may be extremely sensitive and deep
    pressure would not be appreciated.

    Tiffany

    Michael Baugh <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    C'mon, folks. Don't make me be the only one to respond
    to John's question!!! Especially since I didn't actually
    answer it, but rather


    just

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    mentioned some of the possibly involved anatomy.

  6. It sounds like John Smith wants management and treatment of
    a ruptured lumbar disc, not management and treatment of
    hyprtonic or contracture of soft tissue.

    Thanks

    "John Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    So, in massage therapist training, what do they teach you
    about management and treatment of a ruptured lumbar disc?

    JS

  7. It sounds like John Smith wants management and treatment of
    a ruptured lumbar disc, not management and treatment of
    hyprtonic or contracture of soft tissue.

    Thanks

    "Joe Guy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Commonly, MTs deal with the symptomology of the condition,
    as described by Michael. (Dealing with pain and spasm, and
    offering reassurance.) Also, Mackenzie protocol is often
    prescribed to minimize discomfort and allow


    the

    Quoted message said:

    disc to heal.

    "Tiffany" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Give folks some time Michael! 🙂

    Management and treatment of a ruptured lumbar disc......
    I am not sure


    what

    Quoted message said:

    I was taught in school but since being out of school I
    learned about


    working

    Quoted message said:

    muscles involved (see Michaels awesome post). I also
    learned to work


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ice if there is inflammation in the area, some
    myofascial techniques can


    be

    Quoted message said:

    helpful as the area may be extremely sensitive and deep
    pressure would


    not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be appreciated.

    Tiffany

    Michael Baugh <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    C'mon, folks. Don't make me be the only one to respond
    to John's question!!! Especially since I didn't
    actually answer it, but rather


    just

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    mentioned some of the possibly involved anatomy.


  8. I guess that's why I recommended Mackenzie protocol. Thanks
    for your gifted insight though...

    "JB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It sounds like John Smith wants management and treatment
    of a ruptured lumbar disc, not management and treatment of
    hyprtonic or contracture of soft tissue.

    Thanks

    "Joe Guy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Commonly, MTs deal with the symptomology of the
    condition, as described


    by

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Michael. (Dealing with pain and spasm, and offering
    reassurance.)


    Also,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Mackenzie protocol is often prescribed to minimize
    discomfort and allow


    the

    Quoted message said:

    disc to heal.

    "Tiffany" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Give folks some time Michael! 🙂

    Management and treatment of a ruptured lumbar
    disc...... I am not sure


    what

    Quoted message said:

    I was taught in school but since being out of school I
    learned about


    working

    Quoted message said:

    muscles involved (see Michaels awesome post). I also
    learned to work


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ice if there is inflammation in the area, some
    myofascial techniques


    can

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be

    Quoted message said:

    helpful as the area may be extremely sensitive and
    deep pressure would


    not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be appreciated.

    Tiffany

    Michael Baugh <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    > C'mon, folks. Don't make me be the only one to
    > respond to John's question!!! Especially since I
    > didn't actually answer it, but rather


    just

    Quoted message said:

    > mentioned some of the possibly involved anatomy.
    >



  9. I'm still listening. Thanks for all the feedback.

    JS

    Joe Guy said:

    I guess that's why I recommended Mackenzie protocol.
    Thanks for your gifted insight though...

    "JB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It sounds like John Smith wants management and treatment
    of a ruptured lumbar disc, not management and treatment of
    hyprtonic or contracture of soft tissue.

    Thanks

    "Joe Guy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Commonly, MTs deal with the symptomology of the
    condition, as described

    by

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Michael. (Dealing with pain and spasm, and offering
    reassurance.)

    Also,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Mackenzie protocol is often prescribed to minimize
    discomfort and allow

    the

    Quoted message said:

    disc to heal.

    "Tiffany" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    >Give folks some time Michael! 🙂
    >
    >Management and treatment of a ruptured lumbar disc......
    >I am not sure

    what

    >I was taught in school but since being out of school I
    >learned about

    working

    >muscles involved (see Michaels awesome post). I also
    >learned to work

    with

    Quoted message said:

    >ice if there is inflammation in the area, some
    >myofascial techniques

    can

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be

    >helpful as the area may be extremely sensitive and deep
    >pressure would

    not

    Quoted message said:

    >be appreciated.
    >
    >
    >Tiffany
    >
    >
    >Michael Baugh <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    >"]news:[email hidden]...
    >
    >>C'mon, folks. Don't make me be the only one to respond
    >>to John's question!!! Especially since I didn't
    >>actually answer it, but rather

    just

    >>mentioned some of the possibly involved anatomy.
    >>
    >
    >
    >


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.