Saddle repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fredzep

My black leather road saddle has about a one and a quarter inch cut in the rear from a crash. I
taped it up with black electrical tape but it is not staying put and looks kind of sloppy anyway.I
am going to try to stitch it closed with some heavy nylon thread but am up for other options and
figured the mtbrs posting here might know a thing or two about saddle repair.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Fredzep

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/

--
Slacker

"Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My black leather road saddle has about a one and a quarter inch cut in the rear from a crash. I
> taped it up with black electrical tape but it is not staying put and looks kind of sloppy anyway.I
> am going to try to stitch it closed with some heavy nylon thread but am up for other options and
> figured the mtbrs posting here might know a thing or two about saddle repair.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas. Fredzep

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/ or something similar.

--
Slacker

"Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My black leather road saddle has about a one and a quarter inch cut in
the
> rear from a crash. I taped it up with black electrical tape but it is not staying put and looks
> kind of sloppy anyway.I am going to try to stitch it closed with some heavy nylon thread but am up
> for other options and
figured
> the mtbrs posting here might know a thing or two about saddle repair.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas. Fredzep
>
>

Electrical tape is used to insulate wire connections where I live. Duct tape is the obvious
solution to any problem which has no immediate alternative solution... It's a paradox, that's why
it works so well.

Fredzep wrote:
> My black leather road saddle has about a one and a quarter inch cut in the rear from a crash. I
> taped it up with black electrical tape but it is not staying put and looks kind of sloppy anyway.I
> am going to try to stitch it closed with some heavy nylon thread but am up for other options and
> figured the mtbrs posting here might know a thing or two about saddle repair.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas. Fredzep]

shoe goo.

if you sew it, ,use a curved upholstery needle. I would think that the thread will make for
potential chafe points.

penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Fredzep wrote:
> > My black leather road saddle has about a one and a quarter inch cut in the rear from a crash. I
> > taped it up with black electrical tape but it is not staying put and looks kind of sloppy
> > anyway.I am going to try to stitch it closed with some heavy nylon thread but am up for other
> > options and figured the mtbrs posting here might know a thing or two about saddle repair.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any ideas. Fredzep]
>
>
> shoe goo.
>
> if you sew it, ,use a curved upholstery needle. I would think that the thread will make for
> potential chafe points.
>
> penny
>
>
I ripped a Selle Italia Flite saddle about 8 years ago, and I took it to a shoe repair guy to see if
he could stitch it up for me. All he ended up doing was using some sort of glue he had. He said that
it should hold fine without stitching it, and he was right. I still use that saddle today and not a
thing has gone wrong with that repair the shoe-guy made on it.

-matt

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:05:30 -0500, "Fredzep" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My black leather road saddle has about a one and a quarter inch cut in the rear from a crash. I
>taped it up with black electrical tape but it is not staying put and looks kind of sloppy anyway.

Does it still hold your @ss on the bike? So what if it looks "sloppy". Can you still f@rt on it?.

Just Fecking ride!

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

> Fredzep wrote:
> > My black leather road saddle has about a one and a quarter inch cut in the rear from a crash. I
> > taped it up with black electrical tape but it is not staying put and looks kind of sloppy
> > anyway.I am going to try to stitch it closed with some heavy nylon thread but am up for other
> > options and figured the mtbrs posting here might know a thing or two about saddle repair.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any ideas. Fredzep]
>
>
> shoe goo.
>
> if you sew it, ,use a curved upholstery needle. I would think that the thread will make for
> potential chafe points.
>
> penny

Good call....I forgot about that stuff....cheap and easy to use too! I repaired two broken shoulder
pads with that goop.

--
Slacker

> Does it still hold your @ss on the bike? So what if it looks "sloppy". Can you still f@rt on it?.
>
> Just Fecking ride!
>
> Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
> mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.

Point taken. I have another bike to ride on the road and was just looking for some repair tips.

Slacker wrote:
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
any ideas.
>>> Fredzep]
>>
>>
>> shoe goo.
>>
>> penny
>
>
> Good call....I forgot about that stuff....cheap and easy to use too! I repaired two broken
> shoulder pads with that goop.

I am ze queen of gear repair.

;-)

penny

>>Good call....I forgot about that stuff....cheap and easy to use too! I repaired two broken
>>shoulder pads with that goop.
>
> I am ze queen of gear repair.

So, have you considered repairing our ripped saddles, or even resurfacing them? I've got two, good
but old, stashed in my box which I kept for sentimental reasons. Both were slashed when on the car
bike rack unattended. Mike

Taywood wrote:
>>> Good call....I forgot about that stuff....cheap and easy to use too! I repaired two broken
>>> shoulder pads with that goop.
>>
>> I am ze queen of gear repair.
>
> So, have you considered repairing our ripped saddles, or even resurfacing them? I've got two, good
> but old, stashed in my box which I kept for sentimental reasons. Both were slashed when on the car
> bike rack unattended. Mike

saddles are actually out of my realm ( anything that I can't cram under the foot of my industrial
machine is) but this is where you might try "shoe goo".

penny

> Slacker wrote:
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> any ideas.
> >>> Fredzep]
> >>
> >>
> >> shoe goo.
> .
> >>
> >> penny
> >
> >
> > Good call....I forgot about that stuff....cheap and easy to use too! I repaired two broken
> > shoulder pads with that goop.
>
> I am ze queen of gear repair.
>
> ;-)
>
> penny

I'm just glad you didn't say, "Goop queen"
--
Slacker

Status
Not open for further replies.