saddle suggestions

el guapo

Oct 23, 2004
Anyone have any suggestions on the most comfortable road saddle for a daily commute >10 miles.
My a** hurts with the cheap trek split gel saddle I bought at the bike shop.

:mad:

el guapo said:
Anyone have any suggestions on the most comfortable road saddle for a daily commute >10 miles.

Specialized Alias - comes in three sizes. Great seat!

i would heartily second the recommendation of a Specialized Alias. it is the most comfortable racing bike seat i have ever sat upon. it was so comfortable that i bought a second one for my spare bike. up until that point, i had a San Marco Tri-Gel. even though i paid $90 for the San Marco, it is now relegated to the spare parts bin. you can't go wrong with the Alias.

tmctguer said:
i would heartily second the recommendation of a Specialized Alias. it is the most comfortable racing bike seat i have ever sat upon. it was so comfortable that i bought a second one for my spare bike. up until that point, i had a San Marco Tri-Gel. even though i paid $90 for the San Marco, it is now relegated to the spare parts bin. you can't go wrong with the Alias.
Amen, a local bike shop owner who has ridden for over 25 years says that the Alias is the most comfortable seat he has ever ridden on. I forget that I am on a seat it fits me so well.

I'll place a vote for the selle italia xo trans am. It is very comfortable and cheap at bike nashbar 29 dollars plus shipping.

Hooben said:
I'll place a vote for the selle italia xo trans am. It is very comfortable and cheap at bike nashbar 29 dollars plus shipping.
There are as many bike seats as there are arses. That is why yu should never ask someone what saddle you should use but go and find out for yourself. Take your bike to a shop with a good display and ask them if you can try some around the block. Find the one which is the best for that task and then ask if you can bring it back in a week if it's no good.
If the shop won't do that for you then you should find another shop. No one can (or should) tell you what saddle you should be riding.

el guapo said:

I was getting considerable saddle soreness, after 50 miles or so, on the saddle that came on my Lemond. After doing a lot of research, I bought the the Fizik Aliante. It's expensive, but I found a new one on eBay for $140. It was worth every last cent, it immediately eliminated the problem. Even after 100 miles there is no soreness at all.

I am having a similiar problem... I am riding a Trek hybrid with a big cushy seat and a suspension seatpost. After about 1 hour, I need to hop off and let my butt rest. Are these smaller saddles going to be more comfortable than this big pillow? I'm riding about 50-70 miles a week and am wanting to switch to a roadbike, but my intuition tells me that small seat will be even less comfortable than what I'm on now. Any thoughts?

Another vote for the fizik aliante. But saddles are a personal thing, it's gotta fit you right.

skydive69 said:
Specialized Alias - comes in three sizes. Great seat!

Just got the 143 and have been numbless since for the first time in,or 10 saddles ago.

el guapo said:

Fizik Arione fits me but all A**"s are different.

Koobi PRS . . . www.koobi.com

The saddle is great, the service awesome. Call and talk to them first, they'll help you pick the right saddle for you and have a 30 day return policy. Mine is awesome. There's a review on pezcyclingnews.com and also on roadbikereview.com and mountainbikereview.com

el guapo said:

thanks for all the suggestions, I will try out the limited selection at my LBS first and then go from there. I guess I did not realize how diverse saddle construction is. Kind of like running shoes I suppose.

Before you buy from the lbs,ask about the return. Specilized site,koobi,performance for a few has a return policy.

Brooks Professional for pure comfort. If weight is a concern, try Selle Italia Storika. It has leather panels riveted where the sit-bones make contact and on the nose. It looks brutal, but it is one of the most comfortable saddles I've ever used, other than the cloud 9 ride of the Brooks, which weighs a ton.

copwatch said:
Koobi PRS . . . www.koobi.com

The saddle is great, the service awesome. Call and talk to them first, they'll help you pick the right saddle for you and have a 30 day return policy. Mine is awesome. There's a review on pezcyclingnews.com and also on roadbikereview.com and mountainbikereview.com
I second this, I have one and love it. I haven't read a "bad" review on one.

John