rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Saddle tilted back -> extreme pain. What did I do wrong?

Started by rob.northcott · · Last activity · 10 posts · 242 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
18 July 2006
Last activity
18 July 2006
Original author
rob.northcott
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
242
Views / 30 days
7
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The base on my old KH saddle broke recently, so I replaced it with a
    nice new KH Fusion. I had the saddle pretty much in the middle of its
    adjustment (on a standard seatpost) so I decided to fit the new one
    tilted back a bit more to see what all the hype was about. It felt
    possibly slightly more comfortable for a mile or so, then became
    absolute agony. I had to stop and dismount every couple of miles on
    the way to work and back because I just couldn't bear to sit on the
    saddle. I worried for a bit that the slight change in KH seat design
    had made it disagree with my crotch, but setting the angle back to how
    I had the old saddle completely cured the problem - back to riding ten
    miles cross country with no need for a dismount.

    Is it just because of what I'm used to or do all you tilted saddle
    people only ever ride very short distances? I've seen pictures of some
    people's munis (Catboy's comes to mind) with the saddles tilted back
    almost vertical on rail adaptors, and all the advocates of the tilt
    claim it's more comfortable. Are you all eunuchs or is there a special
    techique to riding like that?

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  2. My new (thinner) saddle feels pretty much the same as the old (fat) one
    now I've got it set more level. I can't say I can tell the difference
    until I dismount and grab the saddle (then it feels thin).
    I never tried the old saddle tilted back, so I can't comment on that.

    So, does anybody ride with a new skinny KH saddle tilted back? Mine's
    not a gel one BTW, it's a normal Fusion.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  3. if I tilt the saddle I have to lower it slightly.

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  4. I use tilt but not to an extreme degree. Mainly the goal is to get the
    large flat padded back area of the seat under your butt and not the
    narrow bit. The tradeoff is that you can end up with very little room
    for your nads while trying to use your sit bones. Saddles, as always,
    remain a personal choice.

    --
    flyer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  5. wobbling bear said:

    if I tilt the saddle I have to lower it slightly.

    I tried various heights as I was limping home with numb groin... I
    think I'll just stick with it as it is - seems to work best for me that
    way 🙂

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  6. How far back did you tilt your saddle? [image:
    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=34692&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=113450402a352b2601b9a99b1c510021]

    I put mine so the back half is parallel to the gound, then I just place
    my behind on it like a chair. I havent been saddle sore once since Iv'e
    done so.

    --
    Catboy

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    Ah munna ee choo!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Catboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2042
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  7. Catboy said:

    How far back did you tilt your saddle? [image:
    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=34692&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=113450402a352b2601b9a99b1c510021]

    I put mine so the back half is parallel to the gound, then I just place
    my behind on it like a chair. I havent been saddle sore once since Iv'e
    done so.

    I've asked before if anyone has ever used a normal bicycle seat on a
    uni, and got a few responces that it works, but that you slide forward.
    With the seat the way you have it, it's like a normal bike seat, with
    an "anti-slide-forward" bit at the front. Yet, for most, as was
    mentioned, there's not much room for the man bits as the "asf" is too
    close to the rear of the seat. So. to me at least, it seems like
    someone should make a normal bike seat that just tilts up slightly in
    the front. Does this not seem intelligent? I don't understand why they
    want you to sit on the narrowest part of the seat, squashed between the
    tilted up front and back. That seems to be the most uncomfortable way
    to make a seat possible...

    Or do I just not have any clue what I'm talking about? 🙂

    --
    AscenXion
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  8. AscenXion said:

    I've asked before if anyone has ever used a normal bicycle seat on a
    uni, and got a few responces that it works, but that you slide forward.
    With the seat the way you have it, it's like a normal bike seat, with
    an "anti-slide-forward" bit at the front. Yet, for most, as was
    mentioned, there's not much room for the man bits as the "asf" is too
    close to the rear of the seat. So. to me at least, it seems like
    someone should make a normal bike seat that just tilts up slightly in
    the front. Does this not seem intelligent? I don't understand why they
    want you to sit on the narrowest part of the seat, squashed between the
    tilted up front and back. That seems to be the most uncomfortable way
    to make a seat possible...

    Or do I just not have any clue what I'm talking about? 🙂

    What I would do, if my seat was tilted that far, would be to reduce the
    "curve"of the saddle by reshaping the base, flattening it out or adding
    some foam to middle section. That's waaaay too much curve for my
    liking.😄

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. 😎

    *My Video Gallery*: http://tinyurl.com/e6wt5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  9. Fatter and flatter. Wish I had photoshop so I could take that curve out,
    and bring the front end DOWN!

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: tophalf.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/14099 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. 😎

    *My Video Gallery*: http://tinyurl.com/e6wt5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

  10. Catboy said:

    How far back did you tilt your saddle?

    Not as far as yours - just as far back as it would go on a normal
    seatpost. I think the KH saddle is pretty comfortable when in the
    "normal" position - I hated it at first but must have found a way to
    sit that works. The only thing I would change is to get rid of a bit
    of the curve, but I never found it uncomfortable enough to be bothered
    with removing and refitting the old-style cover. Now I've got a Fusion
    cover perhaps I'll have a go at experimenting with the foam shape a
    bit.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51245

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.