Safety priority

Clive George

Guest
My wife has just reported seeing a wonderfully safety-conscious cyclist in
Bradford. Helmet, hi-viz jacket, sam-browne belt, ankle and wrist bands,
riding in the cycle-lane. Except he was riding the wrong way...

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> My wife has just reported seeing a wonderfully safety-conscious
> cyclist in Bradford. Helmet, hi-viz jacket, sam-browne belt, ankle
> and wrist bands, riding in the cycle-lane. Except he was riding the
> wrong way...
> cheers,
> clive

I would say that he was very sensibly dressed for such an activity, you
wouldn't want to do that without taking every precaution.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a young lad riding towards me on an on-road
cycle lane and when I shouted that he was going the wrong way he looked
genuinely puzzled. Maybe that was his usual expression, I don't know.

Seriously though, I am sure that the provision of cycling "facilities" and
the ubiquity of "off-road" BSOs for the younger end of the market means that
now there's a generation who have never even thought of a bicycle as a road
going vehicle.

--

Nigel

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:25:04 +0100, "Nigel Randell"
<nigel_randell@_1.web> wrote:

>Seriously though, I am sure that the provision of cycling "facilities" and
>the ubiquity of "off-road" BSOs for the younger end of the market means that
>now there's a generation who have never even thought of a bicycle as a road
>going vehicle.

The increase in petrol prices seems to be causing far more "cyclists"
to appear who seem to not only think they can ride on the pavement,
but do so *in Milton Keynes*, even in cases where there is a Redway on
the other side of the road which is wide enough for them to cycle on,
being intended for that very purpose.

The Redways are no secret in MK, and they are all helpfully red. So I
can only conclude that such people are lazy or just don't give a
stuff.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

"Neil Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:25:04 +0100, "Nigel Randell"
> <nigel_randell@_1.web> wrote:
>
>>Seriously though, I am sure that the provision of cycling "facilities" and
>>the ubiquity of "off-road" BSOs for the younger end of the market means
>>that
>>now there's a generation who have never even thought of a bicycle as a
>>road
>>going vehicle.

> The increase in petrol prices seems to be causing far more "cyclists"
> to appear who seem to not only think they can ride on the pavement,
> but do so *in Milton Keynes*, even in cases where there is a Redway on
> the other side of the road which is wide enough for them to cycle on,
> being intended for that very purpose.
>
> The Redways are no secret in MK, and they are all helpfully red. So I
> can only conclude that such people are lazy or just don't give a
> stuff.

Or perhaps they've read John Franklin's report on the Redways and are
sensible enough not to go near them.

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My wife has just reported seeing a wonderfully safety-conscious cyclist in
> Bradford. Helmet, hi-viz jacket, sam-browne belt, ankle and wrist bands,
> riding in the cycle-lane. Except he was riding the wrong way...
>
> cheers,
> clive

Could it be that he wasn't aware that the cycle lane runs with the flow of
traffic.

Lets face it there are some that run against - I can think of one in
Bradford City Centre near City Hall that does, there are some which are to
be used in both directions - so if someone has recently turned to or
returned to riding a bike they may not be aware especially if that
particular road only has a cycle lane on one side of it.

Dave

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:00:10 +0100 someone who may be "Dave"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Could it be that he wasn't aware that the cycle lane runs with the flow of
>traffic.
>
>Lets face it there are some that run against - I can think of one in
>Bradford City Centre near City Hall that does, there are some which are to
>be used in both directions - so if someone has recently turned to or
>returned to riding a bike they may not be aware especially if that
>particular road only has a cycle lane on one side of it.

I imagine there are some who are so fixated on cycle lanes that if
there is one on only one side of the road they will use it. When it
ends they probably continue on the pavement, as roads are only for
motor vehicles. Conditioning.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My wife has just reported seeing a wonderfully safety-conscious
> > cyclist in Bradford. Helmet, hi-viz jacket, sam-browne belt, ankle
> > and wrist bands, riding in the cycle-lane. Except he was riding the
> > wrong way...
> >
> > cheers,
> > clive

> Could it be that he wasn't aware that the cycle lane runs with the
> flow of traffic.
>
> Lets face it there are some that run against - I can think of one in
> Bradford City Centre near City Hall that does, there are some which
> are to be used in both directions - so if someone has recently turned
> to or returned to riding a bike they may not be aware especially if
> that particular road only has a cycle lane on one side of it.

He probably thinks that he's required to use it, too.

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:00:10 +0100 someone who may be "Dave"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>Could it be that he wasn't aware that the cycle lane runs with the flow of
>>traffic.
>>
>>Lets face it there are some that run against - I can think of one in
>>Bradford City Centre near City Hall that does, there are some which are to
>>be used in both directions - so if someone has recently turned to or
>>returned to riding a bike they may not be aware especially if that
>>particular road only has a cycle lane on one side of it.

> I imagine there are some who are so fixated on cycle lanes that if
> there is one on only one side of the road they will use it. When it
> ends they probably continue on the pavement, as roads are only for
> motor vehicles. Conditioning.

That is basically what I was getting at.

If you were new to all this and had gone out to buy gear that makes you
stand out and had read the highway code that indicates that if there are
cycle lanes you should consider using them - he went out and used it.

Not seen the highway code but does it indicate that the cycle lane should
only be used in a certain direction if it is at the edge and part of the
highway. Iwas led led to believe that it didn't make that distinction -
perhaps some common sense ??

Dave

> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> My wife has just reported seeing a wonderfully safety-conscious cyclist
>> in Bradford. Helmet, hi-viz jacket, sam-browne belt, ankle and wrist
>> bands, riding in the cycle-lane. Except he was riding the wrong way...

> Could it be that he wasn't aware that the cycle lane runs with the flow of
> traffic.
>
> Lets face it there are some that run against - I can think of one in
> Bradford City Centre near City Hall that does, there are some which are to
> be used in both directions - so if someone has recently turned to or
> returned to riding a bike they may not be aware especially if that
> particular road only has a cycle lane on one side of it.

Is the one you're thinking of a contraflow cycle-lane, ie the other way down
a one-way street?

Got a street name for a cycle lane which is part of the same general tarmac
as the road and is intended to be used both ways? I've never seen one like
that.

FWIW it was on the Keighley Road, A650, just before it becomes Manningham
Lane.

I did once meet a cyclist on Downing Street in Cambridge dutifully coming
the wrong way up the contraflow cycle lane. I mentioned to them that they
should be on the other lane, but they insisted they should be in the bike
lane. I think I got bored arguing then...

(I did meet another one - I bet they didn't take the hint that we were both
probably going the wrong side of keep-left bollards at the time indicated
that perhaps one of us ought to have chosen a more appropriate initial
position...)

cheers,
clive

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:22:13 +0100 someone who may be "Dave"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Not seen the highway code

It used to be easily available at <www.highwaycode.gov.uk>. Then
some idiot decided that there should be one "portal". I'm sure most
of us can picture the sort of idiot concerned.

It's now at
<http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/index.htm>.

>but does it indicate that the cycle lane should
>only be used in a certain direction if it is at the edge and part of the
>highway. Iwas led led to believe that it didn't make that distinction -
>perhaps some common sense ??

I suggest you read it yourself, rather then asking to be spoon fed
elementary information.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:17:18 +0100 someone who may be Rob Morley
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> Lets face it there are some that run against - I can think of one in
>> Bradford City Centre near City Hall that does, there are some which
>> are to be used in both directions - so if someone has recently turned
>> to or returned to riding a bike they may not be aware especially if
>> that particular road only has a cycle lane on one side of it.
>>

>He probably thinks that he's required to use it, too.

The police in Telford and one particular magistrate would probably
try and persecute anyone who didn't use it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Clive George <[email protected]> wrote:

> My wife has just reported seeing a wonderfully safety-conscious cyclist in
> Bradford. Helmet, hi-viz jacket, sam-browne belt, ankle and wrist bands,
> riding in the cycle-lane. Except he was riding the wrong way...
>
> cheers,
> clive

i've seen that a few times, infact should you go to kingston and loiter
on Richmound Road out side Evans bikes you'll see plenty ride the wrong
way down the cycle lane.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:22:13 +0100, "Dave"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:00:10 +0100 someone who may be "Dave"
>> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>>
>>>Could it be that he wasn't aware that the cycle lane runs with the flow of
>>>traffic.
>>>
>>>Lets face it there are some that run against - I can think of one in
>>>Bradford City Centre near City Hall that does, there are some which are to
>>>be used in both directions - so if someone has recently turned to or
>>>returned to riding a bike they may not be aware especially if that
>>>particular road only has a cycle lane on one side of it.

>> I imagine there are some who are so fixated on cycle lanes that if
>> there is one on only one side of the road they will use it. When it
>> ends they probably continue on the pavement, as roads are only for
>> motor vehicles. Conditioning.
>>

>That is basically what I was getting at.
>
>If you were new to all this and had gone out to buy gear that makes you
>stand out and had read the highway code that indicates that if there are
>cycle lanes you should consider using them - he went out and used it.
>
>Not seen the highway code but does it indicate that the cycle lane should
>only be used in a certain direction if it is at the edge and part of the
>highway. Iwas led led to believe that it didn't make that distinction -
>perhaps some common sense ??

Are you a driver or road user? If so I would be very concerned that
you have "not seen the highway code".

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
SNIP
> Are you a driver or road user? If so I would be very concerned that
> you have "not seen the highway code".

I haven't been a motor vehicle user for many years. I did have the highway
code then. I am aware that over the years some things have changed with each
publication and have seen certain things that have.

As someone who rides a bike on the road and a pedestrian I have to admit
that I have'nt read the highway code for a long time and I have only seen
the new one in WHS.

I guess that most of the population will not use or read the highway code
and when they do it will generally to help them through the driving test.

Most of the updates are brought to peoples attention through the press and
even then you only have to look at the actions of some road users to see
that they haven't got a clue.

From a cyclists point of view the little bit that relates to cycles can be
seen online and most of that has not changed over the years.

I cannot quote passages from the highway code however and it is that which I
was trying to say with my comment as I had not read the new rules that
closely.

Dave

On 25 Jun, 11:27, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I did once meet a cyclist on Downing Street in Cambridge dutifully coming
> the wrong way up the contraflow cycle lane. I mentioned to them that they
> should be on the other lane, but they insisted they should be in the bike
> lane. I think I got bored arguing then...
>
> (I did meet another one - I bet they didn't take the hint that we were both
> probably going the wrong side of keep-left bollards at the time indicated
> that perhaps one of us ought to have chosen a more appropriate initial
> position...)

Yeah I was nearly in collision with another cyclist last week because
of his compulsion to use a contraflow cycle lane going the opposite
way from the way we were cycling. I was just overtaking him as he
pulled across the road to use the lane, despite the road being only
100 metres long and empty of all other traffic.