Salty Taste in Mouth

Yojimbo_

Apr 17, 2005
Hi

I've recently developed a salty taste in my mouth. It started about 3-4 weeks ago, and seems to be increasing. Originally, I had to lick my upper lip to experience it, but now I can taste it inside my mouth. Food is starting to taste differently to me.....my energy drink, which used to taste a little lemony, now just tastes bad. My tea tastes funny as well.

I've recently done some long rides (>100 miles) in extreme heat. Dehydration could be a cause, but I can't believe it's this since the symptoms lcontinue over a long time. God forbid, some websites even say it could be a brain tumour.

Anyone got any experience with this? I'm thinking it's about time to go see my doctor.

I sometimes get a similar thing before or while sick, but it's certainly not to the point of making food taste differently. See a doctor asap.

If you're drinking a sports drink on rides or before rides... hell, even AFTER rides... that might be the problem. They're all full of salt.

I drink them and I literally have a layer of salt crystallize on my sunglasses from dripping sweat and layers of salt cake to the sides of my helmet strap. I'm really not joking. I'm talking about thick layers of layered on white powdery salt.

Now, this might be what's doing it to you. Also, my sports drinks don't taste good anymore, either.

AmpedCycle said:
If you're drinking a sports drink on rides or before rides... hell, even AFTER rides... that might be the problem. They're all full of salt.

I drink them and I literally have a layer of salt crystallize on my sunglasses from dripping sweat and layers of salt cake to the sides of my helmet strap. I'm really not joking. I'm talking about thick layers of layered on white powdery salt.

Now, this might be what's doing it to you. Also, my sports drinks don't taste good anymore, either.
I am the original poster. Interesting thought here, because I do somewhat correlate the occurrence of this with rides of sufficient length in hot weather during which I drink a sports drink (e-load by the way, in case you've heard of it). Part of me thinks it could be caused by the drink, because when I first noticed this salty taste, it seemed a lot like my sports drink to me. I even thought I had sports drink residue on my lips that I could still taste.

I developed that salty taste as well. I checked the level of salt in my diet and found that it was less than 1000mg. I added 2000mg to my diet and the salty taste went away. I also felt much better in general.