General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Sam's Club Ribs (rant)

Started by Dimitri · · Last activity · 215 posts · 6,846 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 December 2005
Last activity
28 January 2006
Original author
Dimitri
Posts
215
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,846
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 215
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.

    I was walking by the meat counter and spotted some pork ribs marked "pork ribs
    brisket bone removed". I've never seen that before so I walked to girl standing
    there "chatting" with what I assume was a girlfriend. I waited for several
    minutes and finally interrupted her chatter and said "Excuse me I have a
    question" Now she worked in the meat department and I said " I have never seen
    this statement before are these similar to a Saint Louis cut?" She answered "I
    don't know but let me get the butcher for you." she stuck her head into the meat
    department and yelled for "Miguel" I think. Miguel came out and I asked the
    same question. He looked as if I had asked him to recite the declaration of
    independence in Swahili - He mumbled something almost intelligible in a
    Mexican accent one could cut with a knife.

    STOP right here! I lived in Mexico for several years and I have no problem with
    Mexican people at all.

    I opted to purchase the package anyway and they smoked up very well and were a
    decent value. I will probably purchase them again.

    But Damn I would like to be able to communicate with people in the language of
    my country.

    Rant Over.

    Dimitri

  2. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 01:16:28 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.

    I was walking by the meat counter and spotted some pork ribs marked "pork ribs
    brisket bone removed". I've never seen that before so I walked to girl standing
    there "chatting" with what I assume was a girlfriend. I waited for several
    minutes and finally interrupted her chatter and said "Excuse me I have a
    question" Now she worked in the meat department and I said " I have never seen
    this statement before are these similar to a Saint Louis cut?" She answered "I
    don't know but let me get the butcher for you." she stuck her head into the meat
    department and yelled for "Miguel" I think. Miguel came out and I asked the
    same question. He looked as if I had asked him to recite the declaration of
    independence in Swahili - He mumbled something almost intelligible in a
    Mexican accent one could cut with a knife.

    STOP right here! I lived in Mexico for several years and I have no problem with
    Mexican people at all.

    I opted to purchase the package anyway and they smoked up very well and were a
    decent value. I will probably purchase them again.

    But Damn I would like to be able to communicate with people in the language of
    my country.

    Rant Over.

    Dimitri


    Than language was not your barrier, I'll wager. From what I have read
    of the infamous owners of Sam's, they have gotten rid of meat cutters
    in their many of their stores because of attempts at unionizing. Your
    "butcher" may have been that in title only.

    Than again. you might have been lucky to be in a store with a meat
    cutter & unlucky to find one that didn't know his brisket bone from
    his elbow in English.

    Boron

  3. Dimitri said:

    They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.


    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    - He mumbled something almost intelligible in a
    Mexican accent one could cut with a knife.

    STOP right here! I lived in Mexico for several years and I have no problem with
    Mexican people at all.

    LOL. The one and only Sam's Club I've ever been in was in Mazatlán,
    Mexico. -aem

  4. Dimitri said:

    But Damn I would like to be able to communicate with people in the language of
    my country.

    Rant Over.

    Long, Long time ago... My mother taught English to folks who came to the
    US from Mexico. She herself, was the only one of eight children to be
    born, of German parents, here in the US. She is also the only one of the
    10 (parents plus 8 offspring) who does NOT speak German.

    You see. when her parents decided to become American Citizens... They
    decreed the language of the house was to be AMERICAN ENGLISH! (And trust
    me, when a German decrees, (s)he decrees!) except for prayers (long
    story ommitted)

    You see, at that time, folks were proud to come to Americia and thus
    worked hard to learn the language. Same for the Mexicans who came over
    whom my mother taught English to (She did speak fluent Mexican Spanish,
    side effect, she taught them, they taught her)

    Today.... In many cases, I find it's the grandchildren (or later) of the
    original immigrants who want a return to "The old language" or rather
    what they think is the old language.

    Plus, Thanks in part to the fracturing of Americia (Interesting, Marx,
    in his plan to dominate the world, used this very fracturing as one of
    his tools...Now, what I do not know (and I point this out only to state
    that I truly do not know)is is this fracturing due to manulipation by
    his followers, or did he just predict (very accuratly) it's happening)
    (P.N. (that's post note) I prefer to believe prophecy as opposed to
    manipulation)

    Anyway, back to Thanks in part to thefracturing of Americia, I find
    folks who come over the boarder today are not as interested in learning
    the new toung... Many of them make no effort to learn english at all

    This is very simply wrong... I I were, say, to move to Germany,,, I'd
    want to be learning German

    --
    John in Detroit E-Dress is smoked, try: w a 8 y x m at a r r l dot n e t

  5. "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.

    I was walking by the meat counter and spotted some pork ribs marked "pork
    ribs brisket bone removed". I've never seen that before so I walked to
    girl standing there "chatting" with what I assume was a girlfriend. I
    waited for several minutes and finally interrupted her chatter and said
    "Excuse me I have a question" Now she worked in the meat department and I
    said " I have never seen this statement before are these similar to a
    Saint Louis cut?" She answered "I don't know but let me get the butcher
    for you." she stuck her head into the meat department and yelled for
    "Miguel" I think. Miguel came out and I asked the same question. He
    looked as if I had asked him to recite the declaration of independence in
    Swahili - He mumbled something almost intelligible in a Mexican accent
    one could cut with a knife.

    STOP right here! I lived in Mexico for several years and I have no
    problem with Mexican people at all.

    I opted to purchase the package anyway and they smoked up very well and
    were a decent value. I will probably purchase them again.

    But Damn I would like to be able to communicate with people in the
    language of my country.

    Rant Over.

    Dimitri
    You were lucky. I bought some "baby back ribs" from them, and they were
    rancid!

  6. "13Ruby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You were lucky. I bought some "baby back ribs" from them, and they were
    rancid!

    Lucky? I doubt it. Sam's sell millions of pounds of meat every year. You
    may have gotten one that did not seal properly at the factory or had some
    other problem, but to say that someone was lucky because there was not
    defective is a stretch.

  7. Dimitri said:

    They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.

    I was walking by the meat counter and spotted some pork ribs marked "pork ribs
    brisket bone removed". I've never seen that before so I walked to girl standing
    there "chatting" with what I assume was a girlfriend. I waited for several
    minutes and finally interrupted her chatter and said "Excuse me I have a
    question" Now she worked in the meat department and I said " I have never seen
    this statement before are these similar to a Saint Louis cut?" She answered "I
    don't know but let me get the butcher for you." she stuck her head into the meat
    department and yelled for "Miguel" I think. Miguel came out and I asked the
    same question. He looked as if I had asked him to recite the declaration of
    independence in Swahili - He mumbled something almost intelligible in a
    Mexican accent one could cut with a knife.

    In case you're still wondering, the brisket bone is the same as
    the chine bone - they're basically the same bone, but the removal
    of that bone alone doesn't make them St Louis style ribs, as that
    usually involves removing the skirt and trimming the flaps.

    <mumble> Damn gringos <mumble>

    -sw

  8. "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.

    I was walking by the meat counter and spotted some pork ribs marked "pork
    ribs brisket bone removed". I've never seen that before so I walked to
    girl standing there "chatting" with what I assume was a girlfriend. I
    waited for several minutes and finally interrupted her chatter and said
    "Excuse me I have a question" Now she worked in the meat department and I
    said " I have never seen this statement before are these similar to a
    Saint Louis cut?" She answered "I don't know but let me get the butcher
    for you." she stuck her head into the meat department and yelled for
    "Miguel" I think. Miguel came out and I asked the same question. He
    looked as if I had asked him to recite the declaration of independence in
    Swahili - He mumbled something almost intelligible in a Mexican accent
    one could cut with a knife.

    STOP right here! I lived in Mexico for several years and I have no
    problem with Mexican people at all.

    I opted to purchase the package anyway and they smoked up very well and
    were a decent value. I will probably purchase them again.

    But Damn I would like to be able to communicate with people in the
    language of my country.

    Rant Over.

    Dimitri


    This is not to dispute what you say or to lessen what you say in any sense.
    I'm putting in a good word for a Whole Foods I've shopped at in the meat
    department. There is a fellow there, who might be from some Mexican or
    South American country. He is knowledgeable, and thorough in his
    explanation. I can understand him. If I can't understand what he is trying
    to communicate, he keeps at it until I do understand. When I don't
    understand it's not because of any language barrier. He will bring out a
    piece of meat, show me how it's cut, etc. Whether this fellow was born in
    the country or not, I don't know. But he's a credit to Whole Foods. Where
    they get guys of this caliber in today's world, I do not know!

    Sometimes it's hard to communicate with ones that have been born here, too.

    Example: A week or so ago I went to buy glasses and frames - you can
    probably figure the cost -- trifocals and frames -- not a small amount. I
    spent a half-hour looking at frames. The young girl probably spoke no more
    than 5 sentences to me, but laid out the frames for me to look at as I told
    her my desires. DH was doing the same for himself. We left -- Time
    passed and we got the mustard up enough to give it a go again. The big
    bosses were there! Different story. We were there no more than 25 minutes
    for the both of us -- chose our glasses, paid our money; I spent twice as
    much as I normally do, am happy as can be -- it was all a matter of
    communication. As we were leaving we saw the young girl entering the room.
    It was a matter of timing that we missed her. I wouldn't mention this to
    the bosses -- looked too much like a daughter of one of them to take that
    chance -- we've been going there for years.

    Dee Dee

  9. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:23:23 GMT, John in Detroit <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, back to Thanks in part to thefracturing of Americia, I find
    folks who come over the boarder today are not as interested in learning
    the new toung... Many of them make no effort to learn english at all

    The above is evidence that it ain't just immigrants who don't seem
    interested in learning English.

    NB for John in Detroit:
    'boarder' is one who rents a room, or who gets on a train/plane.
    'border' is the separator between nations.
    'toung' is not a word. At least not in English.
    'tongue' is the large taste organ in the mouth, whose name is often
    used synonymously with 'language.'

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  10. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:22:36 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "13Ruby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You were lucky. I bought some "baby back ribs" from them, and they were
    rancid!

    Lucky? I doubt it. Sam's sell millions of pounds of meat every year. You
    may have gotten one that did not seal properly at the factory or had some
    other problem, but to say that someone was lucky because there was not
    defective is a stretch.

    Yup. I've bought a fair bit of meat from Wal-Mart and no problems
    with any of it. I likely bought some at Sam's years ago when I had a
    membership--certainly I'd remember if I'd had any problems.

    I doubt that there's any actual meat-cutting done at the
    Sam's/Wal-Mart stores. Certainly everything at the Wal-Mart I go to
    is in pre-sealed packages.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  11. snip.

    Quoted message said:


    Example: A week or so ago I went to buy glasses and frames - you can
    probably figure the cost -- trifocals and frames -- not a small amount. I
    spent a half-hour looking at frames. The young girl probably spoke no more
    than 5 sentences to me, but laid out the frames for me to look at as I told
    her my desires. DH was doing the same for himself. We left -- Time

    A few weeks ago we drove to the Mexican border (35 miles) walked over
    to the eye glass store. Young lady spoke good English. Showed me the
    frames in the style I wanted and I picked out the one I liked.
    Titanium frame, tri-focal, glass lens, and Photo Gray. Total cost
    $135 American.
    --
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read
    downwards,please don't top post. Trim replies to
    quote only relevant text.

  12. Dimitri said:

    They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.

    AFAICT, you're not ranting about the ribs, you are ranting about the
    guy who helped you. If you couldn't understand him, you needed to ask
    him to speak again, and/or get someone to help you whom you could
    understand. Maybe if you had done so, the guy could have learned his
    job a little better and possibly learned how to use English properly.
    IMO, immigrants don't deserve ridicule and scorn, they deserve
    compassion and maybe a little help from time to time.

    -L.

  13. <no_one@no_where.invalid> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    snip.

    Quoted message said:


    Example: A week or so ago I went to buy glasses and frames - you can
    probably figure the cost -- trifocals and frames -- not a small amount. I
    spent a half-hour looking at frames. The young girl probably spoke no
    more
    than 5 sentences to me, but laid out the frames for me to look at as I
    told
    her my desires. DH was doing the same for himself. We left -- Time

    A few weeks ago we drove to the Mexican border (35 miles) walked over
    to the eye glass store. Young lady spoke good English. Showed me the
    frames in the style I wanted and I picked out the one I liked.
    Titanium frame, tri-focal, glass lens, and Photo Gray. Total cost
    $135 American.

    In 1993 in the border town across from Yuma, AZ we stopped in to look at
    glasses and frames in a place that was recommended and when DH used the
    toilet, he walked thru their lab which was full of cinder blocks, piles of
    sand and bricks, and the lab technician was a girl about 16 (so she looked)
    dressed like she was heading out for the evening, with punk rock style and
    smoking a [censored]. She was making the glasses. Maybe grinding lenses is not
    rocket science. Tourists seemed to love their glasses.
    Dee Dee

  14. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    In case you're still wondering, the brisket bone is the same as
    the chine bone - they're basically the same bone, but the removal
    of that bone alone doesn't make them St Louis style ribs, as that
    usually involves removing the skirt and trimming the flaps.

    <mumble> Damn gringos <mumble>

    -sw

    Actually when I opened the package I understood the racks were the full rib
    without the skirt remove as would be the case with the Saint Louis cut. I could
    have trimmed the skirt as well and saved it for Pasta sauce which I will do the
    next time. I used the side firebox smoker and a modified Memphis rub I was
    pleased with the cut and results in the end.

    Personally I prefer the Saint Louis cut over all others.

    Dimitri

  15. "-L." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dimitri said:

    They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.

    AFAICT, you're not ranting about the ribs, you are ranting about the
    guy who helped you. If you couldn't understand him, you needed to ask
    him to speak again, and/or get someone to help you whom you could
    understand. Maybe if you had done so, the guy could have learned his
    job a little better and possibly learned how to use English properly.
    IMO, immigrants don't deserve ridicule and scorn, they deserve
    compassion and maybe a little help from time to time.

    -L.

    You are correct - however as far as I could tell, there was no one else who
    seemed to understand - For any Meat Cutter would instantly know the designation

    http://www.uspork.org/buyersguide/belly3820.html

    My problem is that he had no knowledge of the job. That's like asking a baker
    if this Danish was made with yeast.

    Just why is it my "compassionate duty" to be his teacher. There are too many
    people who choose NOT to learn the language of their host country. If you doubt
    what I am saying you can go to Alhambra and it you can't read Chinese characters
    you're out of luck or East LA for Spanish, or Westminster for Vietnamese. Some
    times there is NO desire at all.

    When I do to Tres Sierras (local Mexican Market) they look at my purchases and
    automatically start speaking Spanish to me. See there is discrimination on
    their side as well. There is no way a Gringo would buy that stuff.

    And BTW I am fluent in Spanish I just had no desire to accommodate the
    gentleman. It's his problem and not mine.

    Dimitri (once again ending a rant)

  16. Dimitri said:

    "-L." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dimitri said:

    They opened a new Sam's Club in my area.

    AFAICT, you're not ranting about the ribs, you are ranting about the
    guy who helped you. If you couldn't understand him, you needed to ask
    him to speak again, and/or get someone to help you whom you could
    understand. Maybe if you had done so, the guy could have learned his
    job a little better and possibly learned how to use English properly.
    IMO, immigrants don't deserve ridicule and scorn, they deserve
    compassion and maybe a little help from time to time.

    -L.

    You are correct - however as far as I could tell, there was no one else who
    seemed to understand - For any Meat Cutter would instantly know the designation

    http://www.uspork.org/buyersguide/belly3820.html

    My problem is that he had no knowledge of the job. That's like asking a baker
    if this Danish was made with yeast.

    Just why is it my "compassionate duty" to be his teacher. There are too many
    people who choose NOT to learn the language of their host country. If you doubt
    what I am saying you can go to Alhambra and it you can't read Chinese characters
    you're out of luck or East LA for Spanish, or Westminster for Vietnamese. Some
    times there is NO desire at all.

    When I do to Tres Sierras (local Mexican Market) they look at my purchases and
    automatically start speaking Spanish to me. See there is discrimination on
    their side as well. There is no way a Gringo would buy that stuff.

    And BTW I am fluent in Spanish I just had no desire to accommodate the
    gentleman. It's his problem and not mine.

    Dimitri (once again ending a rant)

    You're a real prince, Dimitri. You had a chance to be a decent human
    being and you passed it up. Congrats.

    Peter

  17. Dimitri said:

    There are too many
    people who choose NOT to learn the language of their host country. If you doubt
    what I am saying you can go to Alhambra and it you can't read Chinese characters
    you're out of luck or East LA for Spanish, or Westminster for Vietnamese. Some
    times there is NO desire at all. [snip]

    English is a very tough language for an adult to learn. Especially one
    who is working 70+ hours a week to provide for his family in this
    strange land. So it's not just that they "choose" not to learn. How
    assimilation works, including the acquisition of language skills, has
    been well studied. The immigrants struggle hard to pick up as much of
    the language as they can, most often without formal help. The first
    generation born here learns English well, and often scorns the native
    language as 'not American.' The second generation is native English
    speaking and feels bad about losing the native language, often making
    an effort to go back and learn it from the grandparents' generation.
    It's happened over and over for a couple hundred years. Likewise, the
    'natives' have [censored] about "them" who aren't fluent in English for
    hundreds of years. Yada yada yada....

    Quotidian language frustrations is a small price to pay for the great
    Chinese food and groceries in Alhambra, the Latin American goodies in
    East LA, the pho in Westminster. -aem

  18. "P.Aitken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <Snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dimitri (once again ending a rant)

    You're a real prince, Dimitri. You had a chance to be a decent human being and
    you passed it up. Congrats.

    Peter

    And when was the last time you took a stroll in the barrio or did you just
    drive through in your Hummer?

    Dimitri

  19. Dimitri said:

    You are correct - however as far as I could tell, there was no one else who
    seemed to understand - For any Meat Cutter would instantly know the designation

    http://www.uspork.org/buyersguide/belly3820.html

    My problem is that he had no knowledge of the job. That's like asking a baker
    if this Danish was made with yeast.

    I understand your frustration but I encounter the same incompetence
    from native-born Americans who have spoken English all their lives. I
    think it's a general trend in the service industry. But here's another
    viewpoint: I once was hired as an assistant manager for a small retail
    store in a mall. I have multiple degrees, had quit my 15-year career
    as a scientist and was looking for something fun to do for pocket
    money. I loved the products at this store and had managed people
    before, so thought the job would be a piece of cake although I had
    *zero* retail experience. While my sales (people) skills were
    exceptional, I found it very difficult to do my job properly because I
    had absolutley *no* training. People would ask me questions about
    products and I had no idea how to answer them. Luckliy I knew who to
    ask, but sometimes I was alone and left to sink or swim. I am sure I
    frustrated more than one customer because I, myself, was frustrated. I
    eventually quit because I realized how loopy the manager was and that I
    was *never* going to be trained properly - she was basically going to
    leave me to figure out everything on my own and I had no resources to
    do so. I wanted to do an exceptional job, but I simply couldn't with
    the info I had available. I suspect I am not the only person who has
    been in this situation.

    Quoted message said:


    Just why is it my "compassionate duty" to be his teacher.

    Because you are able to. It really is that simple.

    Quoted message said:

    There are too many
    people who choose NOT to learn the language of their host country. If you doubt
    what I am saying you can go to Alhambra and it you can't read Chinese characters
    you're out of luck or East LA for Spanish, or Westminster for Vietnamese. Some
    times there is NO desire at all.

    If they live in predominantly ethnic neighborhoods, why should they
    learn English if they choose not to? English is not the National
    Language of the US, nor should it be. In fact, there are only a few
    states with a legally recognized language - New Mexico (Spanish) and
    Hawaii (Hawaiian). [There may be a couple of other states that were
    formally Mexican territories that recognize Spanish - I forget which
    ones]. While I think people's lives would be enriched and easier if
    they learned English, I don't think anyone has any obligation to. We
    have friends who's parents have lived in the US for 15 years or more,
    and none of them speak English. They don't need to - they stay within
    their Chinese community. It's their life and their choice.

    Quoted message said:


    When I do to Tres Sierras (local Mexican Market) they look at my purchases and
    automatically start speaking Spanish to me. See there is discrimination on
    their side as well. There is no way a Gringo would buy that stuff.

    I think that's probably an assumption that you speak the language not
    that you wouldn't necessarlity "buy that stuff".

    Quoted message said:


    And BTW I am fluent in Spanish I just had no desire to accommodate the
    gentleman. It's his problem and not mine.

    IMO, that's a very narrow minded viewpoint. You had a huge opportunity
    to help this guy learn something and you missed it. If you had, the
    next time someone came in and asked for the same cut, he probably would
    have been better able to help them. It could have been a win:win:win
    situation. As you left it, you left frustrated, and he left probably
    feeling bad about his lack of English skills and job knowledge. I find
    that sad on both accounts.

    -L.

  20. "aem" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    English is a very tough language for an adult to learn. Especially one
    who is working 70+ hours a week to provide for his family in this
    strange land. So it's not just that they "choose" not to learn. How
    assimilation works, including the acquisition of language skills, has
    been well studied. The immigrants struggle hard to pick up as much of
    the language as they can, most often without formal help. The first
    generation born here learns English well, and often scorns the native
    language as 'not American.' The second generation is native English
    speaking and feels bad about losing the native language, often making
    an effort to go back and learn it from the grandparents' generation.
    It's happened over and over for a couple hundred years. Likewise, the
    'natives' have [censored] about "them" who aren't fluent in English for
    hundreds of years. Yada yada yada....

    Quotidian language frustrations is a small price to pay for the great
    Chinese food and groceries in Alhambra, the Latin American goodies in
    East LA, the pho in Westminster. -aem

    You and I have some very different opinions.

    The migration now is very different from the past. In the past the Migration to
    America was to be come American, Today much or most of the Migration is for
    purely economic reasons with little or no desire to either assimilate or become
    American. The desire is to make as much money as possible and send it home. I
    wonder how many Hispanic Lotto winners stayed here?

    I believe (and fear) we are on the verge of a severe backlash. We have had race
    riots in Los Angeles before. I am not talking about the Watts riots either.

    "1 Jun 1943Los Angeles: Zootsuit riots, between zoot suiters and sailors. Time
    Magazine called it "the ugliest brand of mob action since the coolie race riot
    of the 1870's."

    http://web.mala.bc.ca/davies/H324War/Zootsuit.riots.media.1943.htm

    Language Marks Difference
    Juvenile files repeated show that a language variance in the home - where the
    parents speak no English and cling to past culture - is a serious factor of
    delinquency. Parents in such a home lack control over their offspring.
    You think the same thing doesn't exist NOW?
    (One again stopping a rant)
    Dimitri

    http://othervoicespoetry.org/vol14/lecrivain/la-huera.html

    La Huera

    It's one those times I feel like a white girl
    as I'm walking down Echo Park Ave.
    at 7:22 on a Wednesday evening.
    The air smells like doughnuts and Pioneer chicken,
    and I watch the sunset as she kisses the
    tops of palm trees goodnight.

    It's one of those times I feel like a white girl
    as I'm walking down Echo Park Ave.
    at 7:24 on a Wednesday evening.
    I see the skater boys jumping off
    piled-up milk crates
    and the long beat-up ramp
    with no regard for pedestrians,
    and I think back to the kids in my old neighborhood
    with their new skates and shiny ten speed bikes
    and realise-
    they'll never be as cool as the ones
    right here and now.

    It's one of those times I feel like a white girl
    as I'm walking down Echo Park Ave.
    at 7:27 on a Wednesday evening,
    and I see the white guy from Apt # 4
    yelling at the
    Mexican family of one mom,
    four kids, and a grandmother with a baby in her arms
    yelling:
    No, the apartment is not ready yet!
    It's not for rent!
    It's not ready for rent yet!
    Not for Rent!
    NOT FOR YOU!

    He walks back inside.
    The mother looks over at me and asks,
    Please, how many bedrooms?
    I can't tell her about the family who lived there before;
    the filth,
    the trash,
    the smell,
    the nine cats that [censored] in the hallway,
    the fistfights at 3 AM,
    the eviction that took a year,
    the [censored] I found smeared on my doorway!
    I look back at her and say,
    One bedroom,
    but-
    it's not available right now.
    It's really messed up from the last person.
    Do you want to try again in a couple of months?

    It's one of those times I feel like a white girl
    as I'm watching that family walk down Echo Park Ave.
    at 7:31 on a Wednesday evening.
    I know she thought I was lying to her-
    but I wasn't.

    Previously published in The Homestead Review 2004

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.