San Diego -- Where are the bents?

Diane Krohn

Guest
We went to San Diego over Thanksgiving weekend for our (almost) annual bike trip around the San
Diego area. We had nice weather and some great rides, though there are some road/traffic
configurations in the area that aren't for sissies! Fortunately, as stoker, I have several options
for those scary moments: 1) Close my eyes and pray to the bike gods that we won't be sacrificed to
the car gods; 2) Scream "We're all gonna die!" (always good for the captain's concentration and
confidence); or 3) Continue to provide navigation directions. Luckily for Wayne, I usually stick
with option 3.

San Diego has a ton of bike riders and lots of fancy bikes -- we saw at least 2 LiteSpeed tandems.
On our ride on Sunday, up the coast and back, we saw probably over 100 road bikes, a handful of
mountain bikes, but only 2 recumbents: an EZ-1 and a Triumpf trike. I thought we'd see more bents.

At any rate, although I used to lust after Kestrels, I wouldn't give up the Screamer for any fancy
road bike these days. It's so terrific to finish a 60-mile ride and just feel pleasantly tired,
instead of sore all over.

Diane and Wayne RANS Screamer, GRR, Haluzak Horizon

"Diane Krohn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<yTIzb.20959$ZE1.7077@fed1read04>... <snip>
> San Diego has a ton of bike riders and lots of fancy bikes -- we saw at least 2 LiteSpeed tandems.
> On our ride on Sunday, up the coast and back, we saw probably over 100 road bikes, a handful of
> mountain bikes, but only 2 recumbents: an EZ-1 and a Triumpf trike. I thought we'd see more bents.

Bill Volk and I started a once-a-month recumbent ride around Mission Bay back in 1995. I think Bill
still leads this- I occasionally see his postings on the HPV list. I've since moved to Portland and
gotten involved in the recumbent and HPV scene here.

I think there's an ERRC chapter that rides out of Alan's Bikes in Oceanside. The ERRC folks would
know: http://www.geocities.com/e_r_r_c/index2.html

Jeff