Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
Thixotropic fluids.......?Or Rheopectic fluids even........?
please explain, i would like to be able to distinguish between the two,
when neck deep in these fluids.
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
Thixotropic fluids.......?Or Rheopectic fluids even........?
please explain, i would like to be able to distinguish between the two,
when neck deep in these fluids.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
Thixotropic fluids.......?Or Rheopectic fluids even........?
please explain, i would like to be able to distinguish between the two,
when neck deep in these fluids.
To be fair I think that will be the least of your worries [:-)]
Shaun Woodward said:One bog which I have not yet had intimate acquaintance in is one that is
locally called a "cow belly", these are the ones that seem to shake and
ripple as you stand on them as if they have a skin on top of them which may
break plunging the unfortunate walker into unheard of depths of who knows
what .
I encountered what sounds like one of these "cow bellies" last year on
Bruach Na Frithe. If you look at the map, around NG457262 there is a
break in the Allt Fhionn-Choire stream... this is a flattish area with
a few pools and some boggy bits. Walking across what looked to be a dry
bit here I was a bit taken aback to get the sensation I was walking
across a giant water bed! The surface seemed quite dry but by jumping
up and down on it I could make the whole lot ripple and undulate over
quite a wide area. There was only a tiny bit of water/mud oozing
through the crust but I decided to stop before I broke through and
plunged into the depths.
I noticed that Message-ID: <[email hidden]>
from Steve Ray contained the following:
Quoted message said:I wunna top post it only upsets people
Nah, thee mussna. ;-)
Of course, it's a lot easier with a proper newsreader...
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
I noticed that Message-ID: <[email hidden]>
from Steve Ray contained the following:
Quoted message said:I wunna top post it only upsets people
Nah, thee mussna. ;-)
Of course, it's a lot easier with a proper newsreader...
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
In article <[email hidden]>,
[email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:One of the fundamental techniques required of a seasoned hillwalker is bog
recognition and subsequent avoidance, usually acquired from partial
submergence to ankle- knee level or worse if really unlucky.One bog which I have not yet had intimate acquaintance in is one that is
locally called a "cow belly", these are the ones that seem to shake and
ripple as you stand on them as if they have a skin on top of them which may
break plunging the unfortunate walker into unheard of depths of who knows
what .Has anyone fallen into one of these and just how deep are they, I wobbled on
top of one the other day on my local hill, Holcombe Hill and it gave me a
fair old scare.If no one replies then I know that everyone who has fell into one has
perished......!Shaun Woodward
This February we, my wife and me, were walking back down from Grisdale
Pike, down Sleet How towards Braithwaite where we were staying.
It was snowing hard, the snow was coming horizontally at us and it was
difficult to see the path.
I was leading and strayed off the path, the path curved round a bog but
because of the snow it looked like the path carried straight on.
One minute I'm fine, the next I'm falling straight down feet first in
icy water, I spun round and put my arms straight out in front of me.
Fortunately they caught the edge of the bog and I only went in up to my
chest!
My wife helped me out, I would have got out on my own, there wasn't any
thick mud, mainly thin mud and water with a thin crust of grass on top
but it was a scary moment and I didn't touch the bottom!
For the rest of the walk I used my poles to test the ground. I was wet
and cold but we weren't far from the village so it wasn't too bad.
Earlier on not far from the summit of Grisedale Pike as we were coming
down some maniac in a vest and running shorts, I kid you not, bounded
past us like a mountain goat. At this point the snow was coming uphill
at us. I swear those fell runners are certifiable!
--
Regards
Nick
Dave Fawthrop said:Because I can swim I can get out of a pool with no problems.
Even wearing walking boots, outdoor clothes, and a large heavy
rucksack?!
--
Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse
Simon Caldwell said:Dave Fawthrop said:Because I can swim I can get out of a pool with no problems.
Even wearing walking boots, outdoor clothes, and a large heavy
rucksack?!
That large heavy rucksack will probably float. But it will only be any
use as a flotation device if you get it off your back.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"
Phil Cook said:
That large heavy rucksack will probably float.
So it comes down to how much you're willing to rely on the word
'probably' ;-)
--
Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:27:45 +0100, Simon Caldwell
<[email hidden]> wrote:
| On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:50:49 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| <[email hidden]> wrote:
|
| >Because I can swim I can get out of a pool with no problems.
|
| Even wearing walking boots, outdoor clothes, and a large heavy
| rucksack?!
Get rid of the rucksack ASAP.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Screensaver. also 200,000 amateur pics. Four new pics each day.
In message <[email hidden]>
Dave Fawthrop said:On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:27:45 +0100, Simon Caldwell
<[email hidden]> wrote:| On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:50:49 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| <[email hidden]> wrote:
|
| >Because I can swim I can get out of a pool with no problems.
|
| Even wearing walking boots, outdoor clothes, and a large heavy
| rucksack?!Get rid of the rucksack ASAP.
Taking the rucksack off is advisable but getting rid of it may not be.
Certainly in soft ground, or even water you can make use of the buoyancy
of a rucksack. When ski-touring I am usually travelling with a 20kg
rucksack on my back. If you fall over in deep powder snow it is almost
impossible to get up with the rucksack on your back, but if you take it
off, it makes a very good platform to mantleshelf up onto so that you
can step back onto your skis.
Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
"> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"
"Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Not had one that's weight bearing for any appreciable length of time
before going through, but plenty of svagnum disasters,
Peat is my personal bugbear. Particularly Kinder Scout or Monadhliath. One
day I am not going to make it back...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
Thixotropic fluids.......?
ie. You will get tired of waving and flapping before it condescends to get
thinner and let you out. Either way you ain't getting out.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Or Rheopectic fluids even........?
ie. It's a tossup as to whether or not it goes solid before you get too
tired to encourage it to concretion. Either way you ain't getting out.
Quoted message said:
please explain, i would like to be able to distinguish between the two,
when neck deep in these fluids.
Pointless. Yer buggered.
Remember in some bogs, the heads of those ahead of you make useful
stepping stones
Richard Webb
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.