On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:37:59 -0500, PSB <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:Hi Carl, just curious to how well the thumb shifters on the Mountain
Fury act. Have you had problems with them getting loose? I thought about
getting this bike and perhaps changing the tires to slicks. I didn't
like the seat on the Fury but I got a good saddle from my old bike.
I'm also curious since nearly all my riding will be on roads or dirt
roads, will slicks give a much smoother ride than knobbies?
Thanks.
Dear PSB,
Since the exciting mechanical adventure described in
merciless detail in this link, loose shifters have not been
a problem:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=fury+carl+honkin%27&hl=en&lr=&group=rec.bicycles.tech&selm=8bbde8fc.0403081633.20c40575%40posting.google.com&rnum=1
or http://tinyurl.com/3zpsn
Generally, the Fury uses high gear after rounding the street
corner at the neighbor's house.
I suspect that most department store mountain-style bikes
can be pedalled around reasonably level towns in high gear
like a single-speed, with a choice of fourteen or more lower
gears for any hills. Their high gear is a bit short of a
53x11 700c.
After a thousand miles, the Fury Roadmaster was treated to a
pair of new slicks, which seemed to perk it up about 9%:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=carl+fury+slick&hl=en&lr=&group=rec.bicycles.tech&selm=rcdoo0drhcn1oda17ic9grisvfo48sg65f%404ax.com&rnum=2
or http://tinyurl.com/44xm3
[A hideous typo requires the reader to imagine the word
"removed" between "already" and "584", somewhat in the
fashion of Theobald's famous conjecture that "a Table o'
green fields" was a misprint for "'a babbl'd o' green
fields":
http://www.bartleby.com/215/1113.html
Hmmm . . . I wonder why a quote about babbling came to
mind?]
Anyway, the slicks are certainly quieter than the knobbies.
They're also noticeably smaller, so the engine was forced to
rev higher.
Miserable weather set in shortly after the new tires, so
it's hard to be sure if the original speed improvement has
outlasted the usual two-week new-toy effect. The Fury
Roadmaster's engine often shows signs of flagging when it's
cold and windy.
Of course, without a cyclocomputer, stopwatch, and
mindlessly regular route, I doubt that I'd notice much
difference one way or another in terms of speed.
Depending on your height, a longer seat post might be needed
for almost any department-store bike.
Carl Fogel