General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Scotland Weekend

Started by Gareth Houghton · · Last activity · 54 posts · 1,821 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 April 2005
Last activity
4 May 2005
Original author
Gareth Houghton
Posts
54
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,821
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–54 of 54
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Roger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The other problem I have with the Highlands is one of distance. Even the
    Arrochar Alps are the best part of 250 miles away and well outside my
    range for a day trip which is what most of my walking is these days.
    Perhaps one of our Scottish readers could organise an expedition during
    the brief period between Winter and Midge season. But getting
    sufficiently good weather to attempt a summit bid would be problematical
    with something organised so far in advance unless it was organised on
    the basis of where to camp to be followed by a call to arms in the week
    prior to a good forecast for weekend weather.

    This can be a problem but now given the cheap airlines offering cut-price
    travel to Glasgow, Ullapool and Inverness, there are few places in the
    Highlands that you cant reach in about four hours from home(as opposed to
    the 9 it often takes by road or rail)

    I have often been up there in September and October and the weather has been
    very settled. Normally dry, a bit chilly, little snow and fog the worst
    problem. Views with autumn colours are fantastic.

    As a real wuss on rock, having managed the Cobbler and with photo to prove
    it, I dont remember it being that bad(October).

    Rob

  2. "Gareth Houghton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Rob Devereux said:

    "Gareth Houghton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was thinking of Doing Ben Cruachan on the saturday and then
    depending on energy on the sunday either Ben Lomond or Beinn Narnain,
    Ime and Ben Vane.

    Ben Cruachan is a good mountain but will probably have snow on the top at
    the moment - it lasts most years into may.

    Surely there cant be much up there now can there?

    I've seen it in the corries in May in a very hot year. I guess as Richard
    says, maybe not on the popular routes.

    Rob

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, Stuart <[email hidden]>
    writes

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Any pictures ?

    Hopefully! at presenet the flash card is being tempromental and showing an
    error can't get the images of it

    Try this:

    http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  4. Stuart said:


    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/y48.jpg
    This is the steep section that you refer to. Typical Cullins, steep, brutal
    and exposed! I think it is always possible to move to the right and lessen
    the impact, but the direct crest is not all that bad, good quality rock with
    plenty of possitive holds.

    That looks like the place. Definitely for a dry day. Would love
    to see the high res pic 48. I've no idea if I can get up that, but I'm
    certainly going to give it a shot.

    I just found out my cousin is joining the Northern Constabulary and will
    be have available floor space in Portree starting September-ish.
    What a result !

    Good luck with the card ...

    --
    pjk

  5. "Paul J. Keenan" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds fantastic. Any pictures ? I have been scouring the net trying


    to

    Quoted message said:

    get a shot of the steep section from Sgurr Thuilm up to Sgurr a'


    Mhadaidh

    Quoted message said:

    (the bit with the two ribs). We turned back twice due to wind and


    rain

    Quoted message said:

    after getting to the foot. 🙁 Did you go that way, and if so, how


    hard a

    Quoted message said:

    scamble is it ?

    I think there's a good picture of it in Irvine Butterfield's book "The
    High Mountains of Britain and Ireland" but wouldn't swear to it.

  6. "Paul J. Keenan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Stuart said:


    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/y48.jpg
    This is the steep section that you refer to. Typical Cullins, steep,


    brutal

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and exposed! I think it is always possible to move to the right and


    lessen

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the impact, but the direct crest is not all that bad, good quality rock


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    plenty of possitive holds.

    That looks like the place. Definitely for a dry day. Would love
    to see the high res pic 48.


    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/full-y48.jpg
    not very informative though, no scale or height"

    Quoted message said:

    I've no idea if I can get up that, but I'm
    certainly going to give it a shot.

    if you've done curved ridge,then you won't have any bother here!

    Quoted message said:


    I just found out my cousin is joining the Northern Constabulary and will
    be have available floor space in Portree starting September-ish.
    What a result !

    Good luck with the card ...

    --
    pjk

  7. Am Possibly thinking of Bidean Nam bian now, any ideas on the best
    routes up and down etc.

    Whats the scrable like from Beinn Fhada to Stob Coire Sgtreamhach?

  8. Gareth Houghton said:

    Am Possibly thinking of Bidean Nam bian now, any ideas on the best
    routes up and down etc.

    The trade route - Coire Gabhail, Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire nan
    Lochan, the bealach at Aonach Dubh, Coire na Lochan - has a lot to
    commend itself. You have the option of Stob Coire Sgreamhach
    before climbing Bidean itself.

    Quoted message said:

    Whats the scrable like from Beinn Fhada to Stob Coire Sgtreamhach?

    Don't know, but it's probably trivial compared to getting on to
    Beinn Fhada in the first instance. Are you thinking about going
    straight up the nose of Beinn Fhada from the roadside?

    Colin

  9. Colin MacDonald said:
    Gareth Houghton said:

    Am Possibly thinking of Bidean Nam bian now, any ideas on the best
    routes up and down etc.

    The trade route - Coire Gabhail, Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire nan
    Lochan, the bealach at Aonach Dubh, Coire na Lochan - has a lot to
    commend itself. You have the option of Stob Coire Sgreamhach
    before climbing Bidean itself.

    Quoted message said:

    Whats the scrable like from Beinn Fhada to Stob Coire Sgtreamhach?

    Don't know, but it's probably trivial compared to getting on to
    Beinn Fhada in the first instance. Are you thinking about going
    straight up the nose of Beinn Fhada from the roadside?

    It was a thought, but if its too difficult, I wont bother.

    Quoted message said:


    Colin

  10. "Gareth Houghton" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Am Possibly thinking of Bidean Nam bian now, any ideas on the best
    routes up and down etc.

    I went up the path from Achnambeithach farm to the col between An t-Sron and
    Stob Coire nam Beith. Good views to Bidean from there.
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net/p8341578.html Then moved on to Bidean nam Bian
    and descended via Stob Coire nan Lochan and Coire nan Lochan but after B.nam
    B. you could also add Stob Coire Sgreamhach and descend via Coire Gabhail.

    --
    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  11. Gareth Houghton said:

    Am Possibly thinking of Bidean Nam bian now, any ideas on the best
    routes up and down etc.

    Whats the scrable like from Beinn Fhada to Stob Coire Sgtreamhach?

    There's one particularly steep section which I've scrambled down (i.e.
    SCS to BF). As I'd normally regard ascending easier, this should be
    fairly simple. However, it can also be bypassed on the left (i.e. South
    East) side of the ridge.

    druidh

  12. druidh said:

    There's one particularly steep section which I've scrambled down (i.e.
    SCS to BF). As I'd normally regard ascending easier, this should be
    fairly simple. However, it can also be bypassed on the left (i.e. South
    East) side of the ridge.

    I've gone up from the Lost Valley onto Beinn Fhada with the dog enroute
    to the Munros. Only one section near the top was problematic and the pooch
    required some manhandling, but it should be easy enough without one ! We
    did have to walk backwards and forwards a bit to get to the easiest spot,
    which might be harder to locate in mist, but that's half the fun, isn't it ? 🙂

    We went up quite near the front of BF, i.e. into the LV and sharp left, so
    there was a satisfyingly long walk along its back before the next (easy)
    scramble onto SCS.

    --
    pjk

  13. Gareth Houghton said:
    Colin MacDonald said:

    Are you thinking about going
    straight up the nose of Beinn Fhada from the roadside?

    It was a thought, but if its too difficult, I wont bother.

    I wouldn't immediately rule it out, but it's v. steep. The OS 1:50K map
    shows a couple of 50m contours right next to each other, though I'm sure
    the determined scrambler would find a route up somewhere.

    Colin

  14. Colin MacDonald said:
    Gareth Houghton said:
    Colin MacDonald said:

    Are you thinking about going
    straight up the nose of Beinn Fhada from the roadside?

    It was a thought, but if its too difficult, I wont bother.

    I wouldn't immediately rule it out, but it's v. steep. The OS 1:50K map
    shows a couple of 50m contours right next to each other, though I'm sure
    the determined scrambler would find a route up somewhere.

    Butterfield suggests starting from Lairig Eilde and going up "grassy,
    rock strewn slopes that offer entertaining route finding." He also
    says that the difficulties of the scramble to Stob Coire Sgreamhach
    can be avoided on the left.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.