In Cycling Plus this month, Scott Munn has related his end to end story. I nearly choked on my chicken kebab when he described his difficulty in navigating his way through the West Midlands. He said that his map resembled a Jackson Pollock painting. What a cheek - he must have lifted it from my Birmingham - Hull ride story in APR 01.
Anyway, Scotty baby, you have some way to go in the art of nicking other people's gags. Gary in Doncaster used to steal talk show host James H Reeve's jokes off the air, send them in to national newspapers and win money when they got printed. Hear the master baiter here :-)
Pollock painting. What a cheek - he must have lifted it from my Birmingham - Hull ride story in APR 01.
Standard journalistic practise, mate - best just to take it as a compliment. Anyway, I suspect you're probably not the first person to use that line yourself.
[email hidden] (Simon Mason) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
In Cycling Plus this month, Scott Munn has related his end to end story. I nearly choked on my chicken kebab when he described his difficulty in navigating his way through the West Midlands. He said that his map resembled a Jackson Pollock painting. What a cheek - he must have lifted it from my Birmingham - Hull ride story in APR 01.
I didn't nick that from you, Simon, honest. My Jack the Dripper reference was just another random paint splatter. Whenever I (knowingly) use someone else's words I quote them, as I did with Guy Chapman in the same issue. In that case I also emailed him first to see if he would mind. As a kind of joke I did mention paving slabs a few months ago without giving Helen credit - it isn't always practical or necessary - but I emailed her as well.
As a kind of joke I did mention paving slabs a few months ago without giving Helen credit - it isn't always practical or necessary - but I emailed her as well.
Hah - you were just trying to avoid a slabbing ;-)
Cheers, helen s
--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove fame & fortune h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$
--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--
I didn't nick that from you, Simon, honest. My Jack the Dripper reference was just another random paint splatter.
I know you didn't Scott, I would be very flattered that anyone would have read my inane ramblings anyway :-) Loved reading about your trip and very well done. Enjoyed the bit about having no MD player (I also take one with AM/FM radio in the remote) and how you had to make up new lyrics to Bob Dylan songs :-)
"Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
I would be very flattered that anyone would have read my inane ramblings anyway
I find your writeups very entertaining, particularly the asides. btw I see you also had knee problems (on your double century). Lovely things, knees, when they work properly...
You mentioned that James Thomson is an old sparring partner, which means that we have somewhat fewer than six degrees of separation, as I met him on my trip.