Searching for a more durable saddle

H46Driver

Jul 24, 2004
I've recently shifted back to a focus on cycling from multi-sport and the increased riding time has exacerbated a problem that I have had with saddle wear. I am currently on my 3rd SLR gel flow in less than a year. My problem is that I have large thighs that rub on the saddle nose as I pedal. Over time, friction on the saddle (primarily right side, but wear marks visible on both sides) has worn away its cover just behind the nose.

I need a saddle that has some combination of a more durable cover and possibly a narrower nose. Other saddles that I have ridden in the recent past include the SLR (no cutout - similar wear problem) and the Arione Road, which I found extrememly uncomfortable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

H46Driver said:
I've recently shifted back to a focus on cycling from multi-sport and the increased riding time has exacerbated a problem that I have had with saddle wear. I am currently on my 3rd SLR gel flow in less than a year. My problem is that I have large thighs that rub on the saddle nose as I pedal. Over time, friction on the saddle (primarily right side, but wear marks visible on both sides) has worn away its cover just behind the nose.

I need a saddle that has some combination of a more durable cover and possibly a narrower nose. Other saddles that I have ridden in the recent past include the SLR (no cutout - similar wear problem) and the Arione Road, which I found extrememly uncomfortable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brooks Swift Leather Bicycle Saddles ("Seats") from Harris Cyclery

No one seems to like this idea, but I can't part with my favourite (old, and no longer available) saddles, so I re-cover them. It's easier than than you'd think

OldGoat said:
Much cheaper on eBay. (I just bought a Swift Titanium--slightly used in perfect condition, with Proofhide, for $175.) See also WallingfordBike (Brooks Saddles at www.wallbike.com). They give a 6-month money back guarantee, and--incidentally--sell the few returned ones via their eBay store.

As an example of the saddle since the Brooks website is poor. Not an endorsement to buy there altho that's not a bad thing.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Wonder how one of those vintage saddles would look on my Cervelo R3SL...

A furniture upholstery shop can recover saddles, change the padding in saddles, and etc. for a song or two. HRC--Honda Racing Corp.--makes a great dense foam padding that is mucho excellent.

H46Driver said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Wonder how one of those vintage saddles would look on my Cervelo R3SL...

Admittedly, kinda strange. But if it's between riding in comfort and knackering yourself ....

steve said:
Do you own one of these? it almost looks painful :eek:

SMP has a vigorous test ride program, with test saddles. Of the ones we have had tested(many) only 2 gents didn't buy one. Kinda goofy looking but sometimes the 'answer' when all other things, including bike fit, fail. Certainly a better idea than a 'bent of some other silly-ness.