Road Cycling · Public discussion

Secrets of Warm Toes?

Started by oughtfour · · Last activity · 34 posts · 831 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
30 December 2006
Last activity
20 January 2007
Original author
oughtfour
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
831
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Can anyone explain to me how to keep my new toe warmers from falling off
    my shoes?

    These things http://tinyurl.com/yzlq4u have no hooks or flaps or ties to
    tighten. They do not slip over the tongue of the shoe or fasten to the
    laces or anything like that that I can see.

    What they do is fall off when I have to make a stop for traffic.

    Do these ever work? I could really use something that does.

    It was about 32 degrees on my ride yesterday but I was warm
    enough--except for my toes.

  2. 88% wool socks
    http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=G20111-L

    Cathartt A-111 sock. Works for me.

    Keep it moth-protected in the summer.

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email hidden]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  3. Better to get the ones that have a strap that goes under the shoe. I got
    these http://stores.channeladvisor.com/ebikestop/items/004-FC2066
    as they fit over my running shoes (with much effort) whereas most biking
    shoecovers *will not* fit over any oversize shoe. REI carried the XL size
    tho it's not on their site that I can see.

    rms

  4. Also, this thread
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=242569
    recommends these
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618318&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692723&bmUID=1163047920768

    which look very interesting to me. My neoprene Gators work, but make feet
    very sweaty.

    rms

  5. oughtfour <[email hidden]> wrote in news:YLvlh.2511$5q6.52@trndny02:

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone explain to me how to keep my new toe warmers from falling off
    my shoes?

    I love toe warmers. They are lightweight and don't overheat your feet like
    full booties. If yours are falling off, they are probably too big. Try a
    smaller size.

  6. Quoted message said:

    Can anyone explain to me how to keep my new toe warmers from falling off
    my shoes?

    These things http://tinyurl.com/yzlq4u have no hooks or flaps or ties to
    tighten. They do not slip over the tongue of the shoe or fasten to the
    laces or anything like that that I can see.

    They're made for clipless pedals; the shoe/pedal engagement prevents them
    from falling off.

    By the way, my toes don't keep secrets from me. They let me know when
    they're cold.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    "oughtfour" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:YLvlh.2511$5q6.52@trndny02...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone explain to me how to keep my new toe warmers from falling off
    my shoes?

    These things http://tinyurl.com/yzlq4u have no hooks or flaps or ties to
    tighten. They do not slip over the tongue of the shoe or fasten to the
    laces or anything like that that I can see.

    What they do is fall off when I have to make a stop for traffic.

    Do these ever work? I could really use something that does.

    It was about 32 degrees on my ride yesterday but I was warm enough--except
    for my toes.

  7. "sally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    oughtfour <[email hidden]> wrote in news:YLvlh.2511$5q6.52@trndny02:

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone explain to me how to keep my new toe warmers from falling off
    my shoes?

    I love toe warmers. They are lightweight and don't overheat your feet
    like
    full booties. If yours are falling off, they are probably too big. Try a
    smaller size.

    Another tip - try WOOL socks, it works!

  8. Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    They're made for clipless pedals; the shoe/pedal engagement prevents them
    from falling off.

    Too high-tech for me. In any case what keeps them on when you have to
    stop--and take your foot off the pedal--for traffic? Which is what
    happened to me. Then they fell off.

    So I guess I should just return these puppies. Or get some duct tape.

    Thanks everyone!

  9. oughtfour <[email hidden]> wrote in news:sUElh.2739$5q6.2500@trndny02:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    They're made for clipless pedals; the shoe/pedal engagement prevents them
    from falling off.

    Too high-tech for me.

    Try the Garneau toe warmers that have a strap that wraps around the back of
    your shoe.


  10. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    They're made for clipless pedals; the shoe/pedal engagement prevents them
    from falling off.

    Too high-tech for me. In any case what keeps them on when you have to
    stop--and take your foot off the pedal--for traffic? Which is what
    happened to me. Then they fell off.

    So I guess I should just return these puppies. Or get some duct tape.

    Thanks everyone!

    I was going to go with my favorite, JB Weld, but then I decided to just
    offer this: make your own strap for around the heel. It shouldn't be too
    difficult. If nothing else, you could glue some shoe laces to them and tie
    in a knot around your heel. Hell, you could even staple the end of the shoe
    laces to the toe warmers....

    Pat

  11. In article <YLvlh.2511$5q6.52@trndny02>, oughtfour <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone explain to me how to keep my new toe warmers from falling off
    my shoes?

    Next time, buy a full cover.

    Quoted message said:

    Do these ever work? I could really use something that does.

    It was about 32 degrees on my ride yesterday but I was warm
    enough--except for my toes.

    The question is *why* your toes get cold. It may be more of a
    circulation issue than losses through the shoe. It certainly doesn't
    hurt to add a wool layer and use a cover to trap heat, but keeping good
    circulation (especially when your core is only "warm enough"😉 is fairly
    important, too.

    --
    My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
    heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ron Hardin said:

    88% wool socks
    http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=G20111-L

    Cathartt A-111 sock. Works for me.

    Keep it moth-protected in the summer.

    Wool socks are great, I agree.

    I learned from Nordic skiing that tp keep the extremities warm, keep the
    head warm. Since the brain controls circulation, it will keep itself
    warm at the expense of all else.

    Good luck
    Happy New Year

  13. "bfd" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "sally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    oughtfour <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:YLvlh.2511$5q6.52@trndny02:

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone explain to me how to keep my new toe warmers from falling
    off my shoes?

    I love toe warmers. They are lightweight and don't overheat your
    feet like
    full booties. If yours are falling off, they are probably too big.
    Try a smaller size.

    Another tip - try WOOL socks, it works!

    As for wool socks try Alpaca wool socks.
    Dahlgren Alpaca wool socks are really comfortable,I now use them for
    cycling constantly. I am in So Cal so it doesn't get terribly cold here
    but last week I was cycling to work at 38 degrees, I put on my short
    Alpaca socks and added a pair of cotton socks over them and my feet
    stayed toasty over the entire 10 mile commute.

    I was first introduced to Alpaca socks when I was given some Dahlgren
    Aplaca backpacking socks by my brother in law (who knows the people who
    sell them). I liked them so much I decided to try some for cycling so I
    asked my brother in law to see if they had cycling socks. The socks he
    provided look alot like the short cross training socks listed on the
    website but those are only listed in white, the pairs he gave me are
    green and blue, so they may actually have other other lines of socks
    that are not posted on the website, you will probably have to contact
    them to ask.

    Here is a site that you see what they offer.
    http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com/

    Richard B.

  14. Doc O'Leary said:

    The question is *why* your toes get cold. It may be more of a
    circulation issue than losses through the shoe.

    I'm sure that is part of it. Perhaps even aggravated by my new
    extra-thick wool socks, which make for a tight fit inside my bike shoes.

    The toe warmers fell off at the start of the ride, but my feet were nice
    and warm until the second half, when I turned into the wind to return
    home. So I think it was the wind that did it, and that a wind shield on
    the ends of my shoes would be just the thing.

    What if anything can I do to improve circulation?

  15. Shoes with enough room for circulation work for me, and I'll throw the
    old cheap folding closure baggies over each sock. Works great. Wool
    socks and neoprene booties for near zero. Thin wool gives more room and
    can be layered with something else.

    oughtfour said:
    Doc O'Leary said:

    The question is *why* your toes get cold. It may be more of a
    circulation issue than losses through the shoe.

    I'm sure that is part of it. Perhaps even aggravated by my new
    extra-thick wool socks, which make for a tight fit inside my bike shoes.

    The toe warmers fell off at the start of the ride, but my feet were nice
    and warm until the second half, when I turned into the wind to return
    home. So I think it was the wind that did it, and that a wind shield on
    the ends of my shoes would be just the thing.

    What if anything can I do to improve circulation?

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Richard B said:
    Quoted message said:

    Another tip - try WOOL socks, it works!

    As for wool socks try Alpaca wool socks.

    I recently got a hearty endorsement of alpaca wool
    from my brother, to whom his Peruvian new neighbours/
    friends gave a pair of gloves, a toque, and a blanket
    made of the stuff. It appears to be a finer fibre than
    sheeps' wool, and correspondingly weaves "tighter."
    It's almost like felt.

    Quoted message said:

    Here is a site that you see what they offer.
    http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com/

    It's good to know these are available. Thank you
    for providing this information.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  17. Tom Keats said:
    Quoted message said:

    As for wool socks try Alpaca wool socks.

    Quoted message said:

    I recently got a hearty endorsement of alpaca wool from my brother,
    to whom his Peruvian new neighbours/ friends gave a pair of gloves,
    a toque, and a blanket made of the stuff. It appears to be a finer
    fibre than sheeps' wool, and correspondingly weaves "tighter." It's
    almost like felt.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Here is a site that you see what they offer.

    http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com/

    Quoted message said:

    It's good to know these are available. Thank you for providing this
    information.

    I think warm toast is best just as it comes out of the toaster. Don't
    try to keep it warm.

    Jobst Brandt

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Keats said:
    Quoted message said:

    As for wool socks try Alpaca wool socks.

    Quoted message said:

    I recently got a hearty endorsement of alpaca wool from my brother,
    to whom his Peruvian new neighbours/ friends gave a pair of gloves,
    a toque, and a blanket made of the stuff. It appears to be a finer
    fibre than sheeps' wool, and correspondingly weaves "tighter." It's
    almost like felt.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Here is a site that you see what they offer.

    http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com/

    Quoted message said:

    It's good to know these are available. Thank you for providing this
    information.

    I think warm toast is best just as it comes out of the toaster. Don't
    try to keep it warm.

    I like to warm my gloves on our gas furnace's plenum or
    hot-air duct for a while just before I head out into the
    wintery chill. Maybe a similar tactic would work with socks.

    My thus-warmed gloves will stay warm for as long as I keep them
    on. But if I take them off outdoors & mid-ride, the warmth is
    immediately lost. Then I've got to stick them under my arms or
    under my waistband, to warm them up again with body heat. And
    that can take some time. It feels funny, too. As a Reynaud's
    Syndrome sufferer, I /need/ to get those glove warm. Fortunately
    for me, I mostly feel the effects in my fingertips, which I can
    curl around the handlebar, away from the wind's chill. Folks who
    get it in their toes don't enjoy such luxury.

    Maybe a fencepost doesn't experience wind chill, but people
    with Reynaud's certainly do.

    I like my toast to be soft, too. Friable toast is ruined.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  19. "oughtfour" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:YLvlh.2511$5q6.52@trndny02...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone explain to me how to keep my new toe warmers from falling off
    my shoes?

    These things http://tinyurl.com/yzlq4u have no hooks or flaps or ties to
    tighten. They do not slip over the tongue of the shoe or fasten to the
    laces or anything like that that I can see.

    What they do is fall off when I have to make a stop for traffic.

    Do these ever work? I could really use something that does.

    It was about 32 degrees on my ride yesterday but I was warm enough--except
    for my toes.

    My toe covers have a strap that goes all the way behind the shoe to help
    hold them on, no problem.
    It sounds like they aren't meant for your particular shoe design or they are
    too big.
    A rubber band might work.
    You could use some duct tape. But I found that duct taping over the vents
    works just as well too.
    Thus no need for a toe cover.

  20. On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:17:26 -0800, [email hidden] (Tom

    Keats) said:
    Quoted message said:


    As for wool socks try Alpaca wool socks.

    I recently got a hearty endorsement of alpaca wool
    from my brother, to whom his Peruvian new neighbours/
    friends gave a pair of gloves, a toque, and a blanket
    made of the stuff. It appears to be a finer fibre than
    sheeps' wool, and correspondingly weaves "tighter."
    It's almost like felt.

    I still don't remember losing an alpaca toque but I've searched for
    it many times. It was early seventies hippy import stuff made of
    panels woven on a primitive foot loom. I used it extensively during
    forays into the alpine. Damn near waterproof. It looked a bit like a
    psilocybe cap in both colour and shape.

    I had a double-breasted 50's era alpaca greatcoat that I gave to
    Louis in Montreal.

    I still have a genuine Cowichan sweater from the same era that is
    still perfect outer wear in our typical air borne dampness. It's
    thick, hand-spun sheep wool and its 3 colours are natural. I renew
    the lavender sprigs occasionally but don't wear it much anymore.
    --
    zk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.