Security while riding

roadrun95

May 15, 2012
Hello,
I ride Kona Cowan about 3 times a week (every going-out about 15km). That is super solid bike and I ride it mostly on roads for bicycles and on mountains. As there are lot of holes on bike's roads and as I wish to ride a road bike too, I was wondering what security measures should I take to secure me properly while riding on the street? Is the armband with LED light sufficient and maybe the best solution to be visible by others?

Thanks for your tips

roadrun95 said:
Hello, I ride Kona Cowan about 3 times a week (every going-out about 15km). That is super solid bike and I ride it mostly on roads for bicycles and on mountains. As there are lot of holes on bike's roads and as I wish to ride a road bike too, I was wondering what security measures should I take to secure me properly while riding on the street? Is the armband with LED light sufficient and maybe the best solution to be visible by others? Thanks for your tips
During the day, wearing bright colors is a big help, as is riding predictably and legally. The addition of a rear flasher or an LED armband can certainly increase your visibility during the day. The majority of road cyclists don't seem to use lights during the day, though. You can also give consideration to a helmet mounted or handlebar mounted mirror to help you see what's coming up from behind. At night, all of the above applies, and you certainly need a headlight, a taillight, and reflective bits.

The best advice I got (in addition to the same great kind of advice above) is to always ride as if you are invisible and assume drivers can't see you - no matter how many lights and bright colors you are wearing.