General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Sensible route up Ben Nevis

Started by JRS · · Last activity · 20 posts · 221 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 May 2007
Last activity
8 June 2007
Original author
JRS
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
221
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Taking the wife and kids up next week. They are good walkers and have
    already done Snowdon and Sca fell. My main concern is conditions closing in.
    The weather doesn't look great and I want to take the safest option - even
    if that means not going up. Obviously wouldn't take any risks but wondered
    if you had any recommended routes. I went up last year by what appears to be
    the standard route out of the visitors centre via red burn and five finger
    gulley. This seemed pretty well defined and well used by others with no
    major probs other than avoiding the N.E face cliffs in a blizzard! However,
    I notice a couple of short sharp routes out of the car park at the end of
    the road (NN 167 691) and wondered what they are like if we have a limited
    window of opportunity. Any thought or advice welcomed. We have from Tuesday
    to Friday so fingers crossed for at leased one reasonable spell of weather.

    TIA

    Jon

  2. Hi

    From memory pretty much every route ends up on or pretty close to Meall an
    t' suide. From there they diverge and go up the various optional paths. If
    you want a walk rather than a climb and are concerned about bad conditions,
    I would recommend the tourist path. It isnt the greatest route but the
    views are good and this time of year, even if there is snow, it will be
    well-worn into a path. Also, if you are not familiar with the area, it
    represents a good route - similiar to the Miner's track on Yr Wyddfa. I
    have been up this in cloud and even then you need good navigation to ensure
    you dont wander off into gullies or off the big drops; of course, like every
    other mountain, in glorious sunshine, it is an easy route and we have even
    desecended straight down five finger gully(because we could see clearly and
    at distance). The problem with going up over the carn more dearg arete from
    behind Ben Nevis is that often you get cloud covering it/blowing over it and
    on top of the odd bit of spindrift and corniced snow/ice, this makes it a
    bit more hazardous(never mind that it is a narrow track anyway at over 1,300
    metres).

    "JRS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Taking the wife and kids up next week. They are good walkers and have
    already done Snowdon and Sca fell. My main concern is conditions closing
    in. The weather doesn't look great and I want to take the safest option -
    even if that means not going up. Obviously wouldn't take any risks but
    wondered if you had any recommended routes. I went up last year by what
    appears to be the standard route out of the visitors centre via red burn
    and five finger gulley. This seemed pretty well defined and well used by
    others with no major probs other than avoiding the N.E face cliffs in a
    blizzard! However, I notice a couple of short sharp routes out of the car
    park at the end of the road (NN 167 691) and wondered what they are like
    if we have a limited window of opportunity. Any thought or advice
    welcomed. We have from Tuesday to Friday so fingers crossed for at leased
    one reasonable spell of weather.

    TIA

    Jon

  3. In message <[email hidden]>, Rob
    Devereux <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Hi

    From memory pretty much every route ends up on or pretty close to Meall an
    t' suide. From there they diverge and go up the various optional paths. If
    you want a walk rather than a climb and are concerned about bad conditions,
    I would recommend the tourist path. It isnt the greatest route but the
    views are good and this time of year, even if there is snow, it will be
    well-worn into a path. Also, if you are not familiar with the area, it
    represents a good route - similiar to the Miner's track on Yr Wyddfa. I
    have been up this in cloud and even then you need good navigation to ensure
    you dont wander off into gullies or off the big drops; of course, like every
    other mountain, in glorious sunshine, it is an easy route and we have even
    desecended straight down five finger gully(because we could see clearly and
    at distance). The problem with going up over the carn more dearg arete from
    behind Ben Nevis is that often you get cloud covering it/blowing over it and
    on top of the odd bit of spindrift and corniced snow/ice, this makes it a
    bit more hazardous(never mind that it is a narrow track anyway at over 1,300
    metres).

    I would echo everything Rob has said. Watch your navigation on the top
    if it's cloudy. See:

    http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/leaflets/nevis.html

    Some of my photos of the Carn Mor Dearg arete at:

    http://www.ndpugh.plus.com/BenNevis/index.html

    Regards,
    --
    Neil Pugh

  4. JRS said:

    Taking the wife and kids up next week. They are good walkers and have
    already done Snowdon and Sca fell. My main concern is conditions closing in.
    The weather doesn't look great and I want to take the safest option - even
    if that means not going up. Obviously wouldn't take any risks but wondered
    if you had any recommended routes.

    To be honest I'd recommend thinking about not bothering if it's just
    plodding up the switchbacks on the tourist track and back. If you've
    Just Got To Do It, fair enough, but there are plenty of other mountains
    that are at /least/ as enjoyable to walk up, having less hack, more
    sense of the hill you're on and fewer people.

    Difficult to predict the weather up there for anything close to a week,
    but if it's clear and the Team are up to it then CMD arete is a route of
    considerably more distinction, though rather more serious. The usual
    plod up is okay as a descent and/or to say you've been up the Ben (and I
    realise that does matter to folk), but it is a fairly unremarkable plod
    IMHO distinguished mainly by there being so much of it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JRS said:

    Taking the wife and kids up next week. They are good walkers and have
    already done Snowdon and Sca fell. My main concern is conditions closing
    in. The weather doesn't look great and I want to take the safest option -
    even if that means not going up. Obviously wouldn't take any risks but
    wondered if you had any recommended routes.

    To be honest I'd recommend thinking about not bothering if it's just
    plodding up the switchbacks on the tourist track and back. If you've Just
    Got To Do It, fair enough, but there are plenty of other mountains that
    are at /least/ as enjoyable to walk up, having less hack, more sense of
    the hill you're on and fewer people.

    Difficult to predict the weather up there for anything close to a week,
    but if it's clear and the Team are up to it then CMD arete is a route of
    considerably more distinction, though rather more serious. The usual plod
    up is okay as a descent and/or to say you've been up the Ben (and I
    realise that does matter to folk), but it is a fairly unremarkable plod
    IMHO distinguished mainly by there being so much of it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    I would tend to agree but the kids are keen (only 12 and 9) and I think it
    will be an achievement for them to have done all 3 peaks whatever way we get
    up there. They are not too bothered about the nature of the route. Targets
    like this keep them interested in walking and the outdoors which is a major
    objective for me.

    Jon

  6. JRS said:

    Taking the wife and kids up next week. They are good walkers and have
    already done Snowdon and Sca fell. My main concern is conditions closing in.
    The weather doesn't look great and I want to take the safest option - even
    if that means not going up. Obviously wouldn't take any risks but wondered
    if you had any recommended routes. I went up last year by what appears to be
    the standard route out of the visitors centre via red burn and five finger
    gulley. This seemed pretty well defined and well used by others with no
    major probs other than avoiding the N.E face cliffs in a blizzard! However,
    I notice a couple of short sharp routes out of the car park at the end of
    the road (NN 167 691) and wondered what they are like if we have a limited
    window of opportunity. Any thought or advice welcomed. We have from Tuesday
    to Friday so fingers crossed for at leased one reasonable spell of weather.

    TIA

    Jon

    I'm a bit puzzled by the other responders concerning their reference
    to the Carn Mor Dearg arete as you wouldn't do that if you were going
    straight up from the end of the G Nevis road, which is my
    interpretation of the OP's query. The walk up through Coire Eoghainn
    is steep, and continuously so, but is perfectly straight forward and
    will have a walkers' trail up it now. You do save nearly 500 ft of
    ascent. I've done it in summer and winter with no problems. I haven't
    done the option over Carn Dearg (1020m) but from the map it looks OK.

    Quoted message said:

    From my recollection (and looking at the map) navigation off is


    straightforward towards the start of the CMD arete, with the only
    warning to avoid drifting to your left.

    Rob

  7. "JRS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I would tend to agree but the kids are keen (only 12 and 9) and I think it
    will be an achievement for them to have done all 3 peaks whatever way we
    get up there. They are not too bothered about the nature of the route.
    Targets like this keep them interested in walking and the outdoors which
    is a major objective for me.

    The tourist track is boring as a walk but the views are good all the way up
    if the weather holds and the top is excellent.

  8. "Rob G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JRS said:

    Taking the wife and kids up next week. They are good walkers and have
    already done Snowdon and Sca fell. My main concern is conditions closing
    in.
    The weather doesn't look great and I want to take the safest option -
    even
    if that means not going up. Obviously wouldn't take any risks but
    wondered
    if you had any recommended routes. I went up last year by what appears to
    be
    the standard route out of the visitors centre via red burn and five
    finger
    gulley. This seemed pretty well defined and well used by others with no
    major probs other than avoiding the N.E face cliffs in a blizzard!
    However,
    I notice a couple of short sharp routes out of the car park at the end of
    the road (NN 167 691) and wondered what they are like if we have a
    limited
    window of opportunity. Any thought or advice welcomed. We have from
    Tuesday
    to Friday so fingers crossed for at leased one reasonable spell of
    weather.

    TIA

    Jon

    I'm a bit puzzled by the other responders concerning their reference
    to the Carn Mor Dearg arete as you wouldn't do that if you were going
    straight up from the end of the G Nevis road, which is my
    interpretation of the OP's query. The walk up through Coire Eoghainn
    is steep, and continuously so, but is perfectly straight forward and
    will have a walkers' trail up it now. You do save nearly 500 ft of
    ascent. I've done it in summer and winter with no problems. I haven't
    done the option over Carn Dearg (1020m) but from the map it looks OK.

    You can do it either way. Either go up to Meall an t'suide and then across
    the gully of Coire Eaoghainn and up or as you say, follow from the route at
    the back.

  9. "Rob Devereux" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Jon

    I'm a bit puzzled by the other responders concerning their reference
    to the Carn Mor Dearg arete as you wouldn't do that if you were going
    straight up from the end of the G Nevis road, which is my
    interpretation of the OP's query. The walk up through Coire Eoghainn
    is steep, and continuously so, but is perfectly straight forward and
    will have a walkers' trail up it now. You do save nearly 500 ft of
    ascent. I've done it in summer and winter with no problems. I haven't
    done the option over Carn Dearg (1020m) but from the map it looks OK.

    You can do it either way. Either go up to Meall an t'suide and then
    across the gully of Coire Eaoghainn and up or as you say, follow from the
    route at the back.

    Thanks All,

    think i will err on side of caution and go up tourist route unless weather
    all of a sudden gets fantastic when I might consider the carn more dearg
    arete route. One thing that interests me having looked at the various routes
    downloaded from Anquet is that all routes tend to avoid the northerly more
    direct path when the path splits in to two between five fingers and the NE
    cliffs. Is that because it is generally safer to stay the five fingers side?
    I don't remember any problems when I went up and it was pretty snowy. The NE
    cliffs did look pretty close though.

    Thanks

    Jon

  10. JRS said:

    "Rob Devereux" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Jon

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm a bit puzzled by the other responders concerning their reference
    to the Carn Mor Dearg arete as you wouldn't do that if you were going
    straight up from the end of the G Nevis road, which is my
    interpretation of the OP's query. The walk up through Coire Eoghainn
    is steep, and continuously so, but is perfectly straight forward and
    will have a walkers' trail up it now. You do save nearly 500 ft of
    ascent. I've done it in summer and winter with no problems. I haven't
    done the option over Carn Dearg (1020m) but from the map it looks OK.

    Quoted message said:

    You can do it either way. Either go up to Meall an t'suide and then
    across the gully of Coire Eaoghainn and up or as you say, follow from the
    route at the back.

    Thanks All,

    think i will err on side of caution and go up tourist route unless weather
    all of a sudden gets fantastic when I might consider the carn more dearg
    arete route. One thing that interests me having looked at the various routes
    downloaded from Anquet is that all routes tend to avoid the northerly more
    direct path when the path splits in to two between five fingers and the NE
    cliffs. Is that because it is generally safer to stay the five fingers side?
    I don't remember any problems when I went up and it was pretty snowy. The NE
    cliffs did look pretty close though.

    Thanks

    Jon

    Please do not get into the situation my wife and I met some years
    ago. We completed Tower Ridge and as we did so the mist came down.
    We found the path down and almost immediately met a guy coming up with
    a 10/11 year old in tow, both going quite quickly. As we descended
    the path still in the mist, we met up with a teenage boy and girl who
    asked if they had seen their father - the guy now at least 15 minutes
    ahead of them. I went back up the hill to try and find him but I
    wasn't prepared to go all the way to the summit so returned and we
    took these kids back down with us as the lassy was knackered. We
    explained the situation to the mother back in the glen and left her to
    ask the awkward questions !!

    Rob

  11. "Rob G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JRS said:

    "Rob Devereux" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    > Thanks All,

    think i will err on side of caution and go up tourist route unless
    weather
    all of a sudden gets fantastic when I might consider the carn more dearg
    arete route. One thing that interests me having looked at the various
    routes
    downloaded from Anquet is that all routes tend to avoid the northerly
    more
    direct path when the path splits in to two between five fingers and the
    NE
    cliffs. Is that because it is generally safer to stay the five fingers
    side?
    I don't remember any problems when I went up and it was pretty snowy. The
    NE
    cliffs did look pretty close though.

    Thanks

    Jon

    Please do not get into the situation my wife and I met some years
    ago. We completed Tower Ridge and as we did so the mist came down.
    We found the path down and almost immediately met a guy coming up with
    a 10/11 year old in tow, both going quite quickly. As we descended
    the path still in the mist, we met up with a teenage boy and girl who
    asked if they had seen their father - the guy now at least 15 minutes
    ahead of them. I went back up the hill to try and find him but I
    wasn't prepared to go all the way to the summit so returned and we
    took these kids back down with us as the lassy was knackered. We
    explained the situation to the mother back in the glen and left her to
    ask the awkward questions !!

    Rob

    No Danger of that Rob,

    a little too old and wise even with 2 GPS units as well as map and compass.
    I have learnt from failed attempts on the yorkshire 3 peaks when the mist
    comes down in Ingleborough or dusk descends that it will always be there
    next time and the sensible course is to get back to the hill inn for a dram
    and reflect on a good days walk and thats when only risking my own skin.
    Ditto the Ben Nevis Inn this time!

    I would hate to have been in his shoes when the misses got at him!

    Jon

  12. JRS said:

    I would tend to agree but the kids are keen (only 12 and 9) and I think it
    will be an achievement for them to have done all 3 peaks whatever way we get
    up there. They are not too bothered about the nature of the route. Targets
    like this keep them interested in walking and the outdoors which is a major
    objective for me.

    At that age, especially the 9 year old, I would strongly advise
    against the CMD Arette unless you are absolutely confident with the
    route yourself.

    An excellent alternative to the Tourist Path from Glen Nevis is from
    Tourlundy car park.
    www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/nevis

    You get excellent views of the mountain as you walk north, and
    although you still have to climb the zig zags, you should have a quiet
    walk until you get to the halfway lochan.

    An alternate descent route is shown with a broken line.

  13. In message <[email hidden]>, JRS
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    inn for a dram
    and reflect on a good days walk and thats when only risking my own skin.

    Forget the mountains, now you're really entering my area of expertise:

    Grog & Gruel - Fort William
    Clachaig Inn - Glencoe
    Corran Ferry Hotel - errrr, Corran Ferry
    Four Seasons - Inchree

    Have fun,

    Regards,
    --
    Neil Pugh

  14. "Neil Pugh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, JRS
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    inn for a dram
    and reflect on a good days walk and thats when only risking my own skin.

    Forget the mountains, now you're really entering my area of expertise:

    Grog & Gruel - Fort William
    Clachaig Inn - Glencoe
    Corran Ferry Hotel - errrr, Corran Ferry
    Four Seasons - Inchree

    Have fun,

    Regards,
    --
    Neil Pugh

    Cheers for the reccs Neil,

    as I have 4 days I will explore

    Jon

  15. Neil Pugh said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, JRS
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    inn for a dram
    and reflect on a good days walk and thats when only risking my own skin.

    Forget the mountains, now you're really entering my area of expertise:

    Grog & Gruel - Fort William
    Clachaig Inn - Glencoe
    Corran Ferry Hotel - errrr, Corran Ferry
    Four Seasons - Inchree

    Have fun,

    Regards,


    And the nevis sport bar under the shop. Always a decent selection of
    real ales on tap.

    If the weather is a bit iffy then gondola up aonach mor and then walk to
    the summit is always an option. Views over to the ben are superb from
    there although of course if the weather is iffy the views may be too!

    --
    Mike
    Some pictures of the Scottish highlands here http://www.prog99.com

  16. If weather is too iffy (and let's face it, there's a fair chance of
    that!) Glen Nevis itself is a pretty nice low level walk - waterfalls,
    wire bridge, etc.

    Anth

    Please link to: http://www.wheresthepath.com/index.htm

  17. "www.wheresthepath.co.uk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If weather is too iffy (and let's face it, there's a fair chance of
    that!) Glen Nevis itself is a pretty nice low level walk - waterfalls,
    wire bridge, etc.

    Anth

    Please link to: http://www.wheresthepath.com/index.htm

    weather was more than iffy on 30.5.06, in fact it was pants. But we made it,
    thanks to all for advice.

    Jon

  18. JRS said:

    "www.wheresthepath.co.uk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If weather is too iffy (and let's face it, there's a fair chance of
    that!) Glen Nevis itself is a pretty nice low level walk - waterfalls,
    wire bridge, etc.

    Anth

    Please link to: http://www.wheresthepath.com/index.htm

    weather was more than iffy on 30.5.06, in fact it was pants. But we made it,
    thanks to all for advice.

    Jon


    Shame

    I was in Glen Nevis (so I know what it was like) and the weather was
    glorious the next day!

    druidh

  19. Message-ID: <[email hidden]> from
    druidh contained the following:

    Quoted message said:

    I was in Glen Nevis (so I know what it was like) and the weather was
    glorious the next day!

    So easy to miss the good weather on the Ben by one day...

    BTDTGTT

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

  20. JRS said:


    "www.wheresthepath.co.uk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If weather is too iffy (and let's face it, there's a fair chance of
    that!) Glen Nevis itself is a pretty nice low level walk - waterfalls,
    wire bridge, etc.

    Anth

    Please link to: http://www.wheresthepath.com/index.htm

    weather was more than iffy on 30.5.06, in fact it was pants. But we made it,
    thanks to all for advice.

    I had an excellent traverse of Buachaille Etive Mor the following day
    (with a broken collar bone). I didn't even venture out of the cottage
    in Glencoe on the 30th. Kudos to you for making it up on the most
    miserable day of the week.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.