servicing cartridge hub bearings (ie. ALX300, ACLASS)

jasong

Nov 24, 2003
Have a pair of ALX wheels but don't seem to have the knowledge or tools to service them and can't find any diagrams on the web.

How do you get the axle out of there so you can pull the bearings? The drive side has two small slots outside of the bearing between it and the freehub body, but it's not clear if this is how you get it out. How is the axle secured in here?

Any diagrams out there I missed? Looking through tools section of a online catalog let to a cartridge bearing puller for 10-20mm ID but there's no where I could insert this with the axle still in place.

Thanks for any help,

jasong said:
Have a pair of ALX wheels but don't seem to have the knowledge or tools to service them and can't find any diagrams on the web.

How do you get the axle out of there so you can pull the bearings? The drive side has two small slots outside of the bearing between it and the freehub body, but it's not clear if this is how you get it out. How is the axle secured in here?

Any diagrams out there I missed? Looking through tools section of a online catalog let to a cartridge bearing puller for 10-20mm ID but there's no where I could insert this with the axle still in place.

Thanks for any help,
Does your rear wheel make a grinding sound as though the bearings are worn out? Mine even occasionally pops. Weird.

I don't know the answer to your question but am going to take mine back to the shop before the 1 year warranty is up. I'm waiting on a new set of wheels to arrive before I do that though.

jasong said:

Thanks for any help,

See if this site helps:

<http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/maintenance/bearings/bearings.html>

Thanks- that gives some insight into the bearings once I get the axle out. From reading the Barnett's manual, I think this hub has a threaded freehub body. So I think that guy has to come off to get to whatever lets the axle out, and then the bearings should be removeable like in the link you posted.

daveornee said:
See if this site helps:

<http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/maintenance/bearings/bearings.html>